The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPhone Mounting Bracket from NuvoFocus

Jae_Moon

INTRODUCTION

We wanted to produce a bracket with Total Solutions, with full Functionality, with a beautiful Minimalist Design, and also economical (minimalist pricing).

We believe that we have succeeded meeting all our goals.

The bracket can be used with all Tech Camera in the market, it includes a pre-engineered 0.45x Wide Angle Lens, it has inherent design advantage to minimize vertical Parallax and eliminate horizontal Parallax, it provides 'Simple and Secure' mounting of iPhone onto the bracket, and 'Quick and Easy' attachment to Camera. The bracket is made of black anodized aluminum and high tensile black Nylon, and is produced using high precision CNC machines.

The bracket is 'simple, light, compact, functional and beautiful.'

An option to use iPro Wide Angle Lens from Schneider to those who want to have better optical quality in their ViewFinder is also available.

And we have succeeded to produce the products with 'Minimalist Pricing.'

Please check Commercial Vendor Sales and Service Forum inside of Buy and Sell at the bottom of Forum directory for pricing and how to order.

The picture below show the iPhone Mounting Bracket in Horizontal position with Acra-Swiss Rm3di.

Jae_Moon

Total Solutions - iPhone Mounting Bracket

TOTAL SOLUTION

1. FITS TO ALL TECH CAMERAS

The iPhone Mounting Bracket was designed to mount an iPhone easily and securely to all popular Tech Cameras; Arca-Swiss, ALPA, and Cambo cameras.

The 'Axis Rod' of iPhone Mounting Bracket fits into the Lens Shade Receptacle of Arca-Swiss without an adapter while both ALPA and Cambo require an adapter. ALPA adapter is affixed on the camera body with two screws and Cambo adapter is a Cold Shoe.

Pic #1: Base Bracket (for Arca-Swiss)
Pic #2: ALPA (left) and Cambo (right) adapter
Pic #3: Bracket with ALPA adapter
Pic #4: Bracket with Cambo adapter

Jae_Moon

Total Solutions - iPhone Mounting Bracket

TOTAL SOLUTIONS

2. PRE-ENGINEERED 0.45x WIDE ANGLE LENS

iPhone Mounting Bracket comes with the pre-engineered 0.45x Wide Angle Lens Adapter which allows 35mm lens to be used with IQ180 or P45+. The lens fits on the retaining Lens Clip and be easily inserted or removed. The pictures above with ALPA and Cambo adapters are iPhone Mounting Bracket with standard 0.45x Wide Angle Lens Adapter.

3. OPTION FOR iPro WIDE ANGLE LENS BY SCHNEIDER

NuvoFocus also provide an option to use iPro lens from Schneider Optical for those who want to have better optical quality in their ViewFinder. Both Bower and iPro have the same viewing angle, 0.45x but iPro has less 'barrel distortion' compare to Bower. We only provide the Bayonet mount and iPro can be ordered from Schneider.

Pic #1: iPhone 4S image with Bower 0.45x Wide Angle Lens
Pic #2: iPhone 4S image with iPro 0.45x Wide Angle Lens
Pic #3: Size comparison beween Bower (left, 1.3" dia.) and iPro (right, 1.0" did.)
Pic #4: iPro Lens (left), Bayonet mount for iPro (center) and iPro with Bayonet mount (right)

Jae_Moon

Functional - iPhone Mounting Bracket

FUNCTIONAL

The iPhone Mounting Bracket was designed to mount an iPhone easily and securely to any Tech Cameras, such that an iPhone can be used both off and on a camera during the photo sessions.

1. MINIMUM PARALLAX ERROR

The iPhone Mounting Bracket is designed to minimize the Parallax Error by reducing the distance between the iPhone camera lens and the main camera lens by locating the receptacle of the Axis Rod as close as possible to the main lens optical axis.

Also, the Axis Rod and the iPhone Lens Axis are exactly aligned such that the iPhone lens axis remains vertically aligned with the main lens optical axis in either 'horizontal' or 'vertical' orientation of iPhone to eliminate the Horizontal Parallax Error.

2. SIMPLE AND SECURE MOUNTING OF iPHONE

iPhone sits on a contoured aluminum bar and secured with a sliding pressure bar which is made with high tensile Nylon. Also, the iPhone is securely placed between a lens clip and a Axis Mount which are also made with high tensile Nylon to prevent the scratching of the phone surfaces while providing the strength.

Pic #1: The iPhone Mounting Bracket components include, 1) Wide Angle Lens, 2) Contoured Aluminum Base Bar with lens clip and Axis Mount, 3) Sliding Pressure Bar, and 4) Axis Rod.
Pic #2: Assembly of base bar, lens clip, axis mount and axis rod.
Pic #3: Fully Assembled Base Model.
Pic #4: iPhone slides into between lens clip and Axis Mount.
Pic #5: Sliding Pressure Bar securely hold the iPhone onto the countered aluminum base bar.

Jae_Moon

FUNCTIONAL

3. QUICK AND EASY ATTACHMENT OF THE BRACKET ONTO A CAMERA

The 'Axis Rod' of iPhone Mounting Bracket fits into the Lens Shade Receptacle of Arca-Swiss without an adapter while both ALPA and Cambo require an adapter.

ALPA adapter should be secured on ALPA camera by means of two screws and Cambo adapter is simply inserted into 'cold shoe mount' of the camera. There are two screws on Cambo adapter so it can be securely attached by tightening the screws onto the edges of 'cold shoe mount.'

The Axis Rod has three flat surfaces which are 90 degree from each other. iPhone Mounting Bracket can be positioned either in horizontal or vertical orientation by simply rotating the Bracket then secure the position by 'thumb screw.'

ALPA (left) adapter is attached on ALPA camera by tightening two screws on pre-drilled screw holes on ALPA camera.

Last edited:

Jae_Moon

FUNCTIONAL

3. QUICK AND EASY... (continued)

The iPhone is secured with a clip to the base frame, and the bracket is attached to the adapter shoe, secured by a thumbscrew. The mounting bracket can be rotated in either a horizontal or vertical orientation, while maintaining a stationary iPhone camera lens position.

Pic #1: The bracket with ALPA adapter in Horizontal position
Pic #2: The bracket with ALPA adapter in Vertical position

Jae_Moon

Mimimalist Design - iPhone Mounting Bracket

MINIMALIST DESIGN

The concept of minimalist design is to strip everything down to its essential quality and achieve simplicity. The idea is not completely without ornamentation, but that all parts, details and joinery are considered as reduced to a stage where no one can remove anything further to improve the design.

Definition of Minimalism Design Concept from Wikipedia

The design was inspired by the Minimalist Design Concept.

We envisioned a photographer carrying the bracket with iPhone in his shirt pocket while hiking to his favorite site, then take it out to visualize the image while hand holding it, setup his camera and make proper settings to camera, then attach the bracket to camera to fine-tune the composition. Take several shots then put it back into his shirt pocket and continue his hiking to next spot.

Simple, compact, light, functional and beautiful.

Less is more
Mies van der Rohe, Architect

Pic #1: Our product
Pic #2: Piet Mondrian - Composition # 10, My design inspiration.

Jae_Moon

Minimalist Pricing - iPhone Mounting Bracket

MINIMALIST PRICING

Please check Commercial Vendor Sales and Service Forum inside of Buy and Sell at the bottom of Forum directory for pricing and how to order.

I will answer any technical questions regarding the bracket in this thread.

Jae_Moon

Ideas - iPhone Mounting Bracket

TO MOUNT COMPENDIUM SHADE FROM A-S

A German photographer had a brilliant idea to use an ALPA adapter to mount the compendium shade from Arca-Swiss on his ALPA camera.

Jae_Moon

Droid?

It's hard being a PC guy in a Apple/Mac world... :D

It is almost impossible to design a bracket for Android phones since there are so many different models with different phone sizes and the location of phone camera. Maybe a Windows Phone designed and made by Microsoft, soon?

kdphotography

You're providing a very nice, clean bracket solution for technical cameras. An iPod Touch might be the solution for Droid users.

You should see my $9.88 solution. No duct tape either! :ROTFL:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jae_moon sent me an ALPA ADAPTER which I wanted to attach to my ALPA's to see if I can use my ARCA SWISS bellows hood .
Yes , one can . See the attached images .

Please note , the Jae's ALPA adapter was not created for the purpose I was thinking about . Therefore the measurements are not a 100% , but the adapter can very well be used on the ALPA SWA and the STC .

View attachment 60989

The adapter attaches exactly in the middle of the SWA .
The hight is not exactly as it should be , but works fine .

View attachment 60990

If you want the hight to be exact , you should add a shim plate , as can be seen in the above image .

View attachment 60991

The adapter on the STC . Not a 100% in horizontal/vertical position .
But works ok , especially of your back has a sensor size 37x49 and not bigger .

I am working on a design for a "100%" adapter solution .
But at least , I can now use the ARCA bellows hood which I still have from my LF time .

awolf

Do any of them calc the distance focus “offset”? Like for the Arca R lenses? It seems that the Nuvofocuse was going to do that…