The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

pyrojim

I got to play with some D1's and a few other profoto toys last week.

Of course, with the H25- this time with the RZ 90mm at F11

ondebanks

Nice to keep this thread going - a sort of Fun with Fat Pixels version of the Fun with MF thread.

Here's a recent one from my Kodak DCS645M...a brother of the CFV16 and P20.

This is our son Robbie at about 4 months old, doing some "tummy time". He's starting to prefer this position to lying on his back.

Mamiya 645AFD, 150/2.8 A lens at f2.8, ISO 100.

Ray

bensonga

I had to go back to May 2013 to find this thread.

With the latest improvements in technology, perhaps "Fat Pixels" aren't so special anymore?

I certainly don't shoot with the CFV-16II much now...not that I ever did.

bensonga

Gary

Have you ever thought of selling your CFV-16 II ?
Hi Jurgen. Good to hear from you. I hope all is well and that it is not too cold and snowy there in Germany this winter.

I nearly sold my CFV to a close friend last year, but fortunately for me, he didn't have the funds readily available and I came to my senses pretty quickly. He has since moved on to higher resolution DSLRs and a Leica M9.

Although I don't use the CFV much (the last time was in 2011), I've always hated the thought of parting with it. It's probably not worth much now anyways, so I might as well hold on to it.

On the few times I have sold some of my camera gear, I've often regretted it later. In fact, the only photo gear I've sold that I didn't regret was my micro 4/3rds equipment.

Do you still have the CFV-39....or was it a CFV-50?

Happy holidays to you!

Gary

BANKER1

Hi Jurgen. Good to hear from you. I hope all is well and that it is not too cold and snowy there in Germany this winter.

I nearly sold my CFV to a close friend last year, but fortunately for me, he didn't have the funds readily available and I came to my senses pretty quickly. He has since moved on to higher resolution DSLRs and a Leica M9.

Although I don't use the CFV much (the last time was in 2011), I've always hated the thought of parting with it. It's probably not worth much now anyways, so I might as well hold on to it.

On the few times I have sold some of my camera gear, I've often regretted it later. In fact, the only photo gear I've sold that I didn't regret was my micro 4/3rds equipment.

Happy holidays to you!

Gary
Many years ago when I sold my Canon F1, lenses, and related equipment, I vowed to never again sell any of my camera equipment. The trivial amount of money you get for it in relation to its cost makes no sense to me. When I traded my CFV16 in on my H4D60, I knew I would regret it, but the amount of trade for it made sense at the time. I still have my "fat pixel" H3D22, and I hope to never sell it. Now, I long for a CFV39 or 50. My V equipment just sits neglected and unused. Some day maybe I'll get some film and enjoy it again.

Greg

Mammy645

Many years ago when I sold my Canon F1, lenses, and related equipment, I vowed to never again sell any of my camera equipment. The trivial amount of money you get for it in relation to its cost makes no sense to me. When I traded my CFV16 in on my H4D60, I knew I would regret it, but the amount of trade for it made sense at the time. I still have my "fat pixel" H3D22, and I hope to never sell it. Now, I long for a CFV39 or 50. My V equipment just sits neglected and unused. Some day maybe I'll get some film and enjoy it again.

Greg
Put some Portra in that Hasselblad and go shoot, it might even cure you of that lust for a new digital back. Film is beautiful.

bensonga

Put some Portra in that Hasselblad and go shoot, it might even cure you of that lust for a new digital back. Film is beautiful.
I agree that "film is beautiful", but I doubt that someone interested in medium format digital will be be dissuaded once they shoot a roll of Portra in a Hasselblad. Chances are pretty good that Greg already knows what that looks like.

Shooting more film, Portra or not, with my medium format cameras (Hasselblads, Pentax 645NII & 67II, Mamiya 7II & RZ67II) will certainly not convince me to give up the CFV-16 or Pentax 645D.

I don't think there is one photographic technology "to rule them all".

Long live both film and digital! Any and all formats. :grin:

Gary

Last edited:

Mammy645

I agree that "film is beautiful", but I doubt that someone interested in medium format digital will be be dissuaded once they shoot a roll of Portra in a Hasselblad. Chances are pretty good that Greg already knows what that looks like.

Shooting more film, Portra or not, with my medium format cameras (Hasselblads, Pentax 645NII & 67II, Mamiya 7II & RZ67II) will certainly not convince me to give up the CFV-16 or Pentax 645D.

I don't think there is one photographic technology "to rule them all".

Long live both film and digital! Any and all formats. :grin:

Gary
I was not really saying he should give up his digital backs, (I'm not selling my own P25), it was merely a comment on the fact that it's a crying shame not to use that V-series, especially since today's film is anything but inferior and has a very unique look of it's own.

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Happy holidays to you!

Gary
Thank you Gary for your friendly words .

I traded my CFV16 in to get the CFV-39 . Sometime I regret that , but on the other side , I wanted to be able to shoot wider and therefore needed a back with a rectangular sensor .
Today I have the CFV-39 and CFV-50 which I use mostly with my ALPA and the RODENSTOCK lenses . I have no need for a 60MB or even 80MB sensor because I do not print big enough to have the full advantage of these backs .
Used CFV backs are very rare here and are very quickly sold again after they turned up in X-bay or at a dealers place .

A friend of mine is looking for a good CFV-16 as he is fed up with too much functions in NIKONs and SONYs and µ4Ts .:banghead: I can understand that very well .

Get ready for a strong winter as I do here . X-MAS will still be mild but in January the winter really knocks on the door .
Best . Jürgen .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I was not really saying he should give up his digital backs, (I'm not selling my own P25), it was merely a comment on the fact that it's a crying shame not to use that V-series, especially since today's film is anything but inferior and has a very unique look of it's own.
True .
But digital processing is much more comfortable and I do hate scanning negatives as much as one can hate anything at all .

BANKER1

I'm with you. I may have to do just what you said. But I still need to get a good negative scanner. Ouch, more money.

Greg

pedro39photo

Canon its my professional work horse, my money print machine.
The DMF its my lover, my wallet hole...
3 Years ago i bought my first DMF camera, a Mamiya DSLR ZD, amazing camera sold to a friend and went to Hassy H3D 22MP and last year the amazing H3DII 39MP.
I start to dislike some trends of the markting, the technical support and super overpriced costs and i sell all my Hassy system.

Last month i was in a dilemma...a Sony A7R with amazing 35mm chip and "TV viewfinder" or buy again my old friend Mamiya ZD DSLR with a BIG VIEWFINDER AND "JUST 22MP BIG FAT PIXEIS" for 2000€ ???
And was a simple choice after i saw again some old MEFs in lightroom...

I said this again again the DMF its not about more more MP its about the files, the viewfinder the camera feeling, etc...etc and the DMF industry never used this cards to combat the 35mm VS DMF wars, we need a new DMF with 22MP entry 5000$ level system from Phase and Hassy....

Here is some big old fat pixeis shoots with just ...22MP Mamiya ZD !!!
Its not perfect, with tinny LCD, 50-100iso range, but i love it...
I sold my Hassy system and bought for 2500€ a used ZD with some lens, i get same fun and some €€€ to spend on travel...

SOME FULL SIZE FOR PIXEL PEEPING:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/292/qpb7.jpg

Great Christmas for all !!!

Pedro Nunes

Last edited:

arionelli

Nice light and colours, Pedro.
I've been in a similar quandary myself for some time...I can't say I've taken to DSLRs and am now contamplating a 22mp back setup, most likely for Contax 645 as I have pieced together a nice body and set of lenses...uses would mostly be for natural scenes close and far, flowers, some people,...amateur at this stage still...suggestions appreciated.
Martin