The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CMOS 50 announced

RVB

Hi all... here is the press release..

This will certainly shake up the MF business...

Press Release
Gothenburg, January 21, 2014

Hasselblad set to launch world’s first medium format CMOS sensor camera

Hasselblad is set to launch the world's first 50MP medium format camera using CMOS sensor technology. The groundbreaking H5D-50c will go on sale in March.
Ove Bengtson, Hasselblad Product Manager said: "This pioneering 50 megapixel CMOS sensor camera is based on our H5D-50 model but will offer a faster capture rate; longer shutter speed capability and much greater ISO performance. It will provide greatly improved Live Video in Phocus and will also be available with Multi-Shot functionality."

He added: "We believe this will provide a highly compelling option for professional photographers who prefer a more versatile camera that enables them to immediately embrace a wider range of photo-disciplines but still encapsulating the exceptionally high-end image quality associated with Hasselblad."

Hasselblad's new CEO Ian Rawcliffe said: "We are extremely excited about this highly adaptable new camera which will offer an even broader palette of shooting options for our high-end customers.

"This is a world-first and underpins Hasselblad's status at the forefront of camera technology. It will be the first of a number of medium format capture innovations we have planned for the coming months."

Further information and prices for the new H5D-50c models will be announced in March.

(This press release will be available for download at the Hasselblad Press Lounge later today)

Corporate Communication & Public Relations Department
Hasselblad | 385 Centennial Avenue, Centennial Park, Elstree Herts, WD6 3TJ, UK
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8731 3254
Email: [email protected]
Hasselblad Press Lounge | Hasselbladusa.com

miska

Interesting ! If I read between the lines, no live view "in camera" ? Wonder why that would be ? Perhaps it's such a battery hog ? Or hardware / temperature limitations ?
I hope this puts Hassi back in the MF business - after all the Lunacy.

I am a P1 user, but competition is good. Very good.

Paul2660

Yes, this does make one wonder what Phase will have at Photokina.

However the press release only states: prices and more info available in March as I read it. Also seems at first Live view is via phocus which I believe would mean tethered at least during this version.

Things are changing for sure. Curious who made the chip, Sony? if so it might put more realism into the 54MP 35mm chip that Sony supposedly has coming. I realize a MF chip is much different but some of the manufacturing fab may cross over.

Times are changing for sure.

Thanks for the info.
Paul Caldwell

fotografz

If any of the cryptic rumors are true, the sensor is a new type of CMOS invented by Sony. We'll see.

Also, on the Hasselblad news release site, there was a photo of a H camera with the headline "The Rumors Are True" … the camera looks like it is all black … but it's difficult to tell from the lighting.

That the new camera will also be offered in Multi-Shot is also quite interesting.

- Marc

RVB

If any of the cryptic rumors are true, the sensor is a new type of CMOS invented by Sony. We'll see.

Also, on the Hasselblad news release site, there was a photo of a H camera with the headline "The Rumors Are True" … the camera looks like it is all black … but it's difficult to tell from the lighting.

That the new camera will also be offered in Multi-Shot is also quite interesting.

- Marc
Marc,the partnership with Sony seems to be making sense now,I expect this sensor to have great DR and good high ISO,there have been rumour's of it being CFA free,either way I am really looking forward to seeing the files.

BANKER1

The OP's quote says The groundbreaking H5D-50c will go on sale in March. Hasselblad learned a hard lesson when it took over nine months to bring the H4D60 to market, so I do not think that will happen again. Prior to the last Photokina, I thought Hasselblad would introduce a larger than 35mm full frame rangefinder that would use the current lens lineup. The new Sony sensor could make that happen. And, I think Sony is capable of manufacturing the camera, as well. Now, I have good reason to believe that camera is on the horizon prior to this year's Photokina.

Greg

f8orbust

And there was me thinking it would be 18 months or so before a CMOS MFDB appeared !

'...improved Live Video in Phocus...' - hmm, I really hope there is a DSLR equivalent live view on the DB itself (without having to be tethered). If there is, the whole thorny issue of focussing (high precision rings, ultra-fine helicals etc.) goes out of the window. What a breath of fresh air ! At one stroke, cameras like the Linhof Techno, A/S ML-2 etc. will come into a league of their own.

As ever, I suspect pricing will folow the flawed model of 'reassuringly expensive' ... and end up the wrong side of $40k ... ho, hum.

Jim

robmac

Sweet. That 'bout says it all if lives up to expectations.

"Dear Santa, if y'all don't mind I'd like an all-black H5D-50C with a 100/2.2 & 35-90. Oh, if you could toss-in a new Profoto Hassy TTL AiR remote (why not?) i'd be grateful"

Nick-T

Would all those who said that Hasselblad were finished and had abandoned MF when they launched the Lunar and Stellar please put their hands up?

Thanks very much.

Nick-T

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Pleased to see Hasselblad getting their mojo back. Hopefully the Lunar escapades will fade into memory as just a revenue generating exercise and they'll get their credibility back where it belongs with their excellent medium format and digital offerings.

Even though I'm a Phase One shooter (albeit I do own a 503CXi), I'm really glad to see some new churn and activity in the MF digital arena. It's good for all of us.

markymarkrb

I can't see a post like this and not quote myself from back on 17 Oct 2013. I am glad Hasselblad is coming back. I shoot Phase as well but competition makes everyone better and Hasselblad is fighting back.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/542918-post6.html

17 Oct 2013

"In all honesty, I think Hasselblad has something up their sleeve probably being the first to introduce CMOS based MF(probably with a Sony made chip). They didn't really have an answer to the IQ line and something tells me they chocked up their losses on that generation and are moving to the next generation while trying to make a few bucks on a Sony contract that none of us agree with."

hcubell

I just wonder how many of those that say that they want competition and are hoping Hasselblad succeeds actually demo'd a Hasselblad camera and considered it before buying a Phase One back.

torger

My guess is that it is what they say, live view tethered only. I would guess they've done mimimal changes to the current H5D-50, just to be able to deploy and be first with a CMOS product. A DSLR-like live view in the DB itself is likely quite a large development effort, possibly requiring extra pieces of special circuits. It will eventually come for sure, but maybe not until H6D(?).

I'm also is very excited to see what the sensor can do in terms of tech cameras. CMOS sensors often have really really bad color cast issues with low angles, meaning that even the (weak) retrofocus Rodenstock wides could be problematic with this back. I hope to be proven wrong about this, but I've set my expectations low.

To work great with tech cameras we'll need low color cast, and good high ISO in live view. Even if we don't shoot at high ISO it must be there so it can present a live view with reasonable refresh rate in varying lighting conditions, so it can actually be used for focusing. A heavy vignetting symmetric wide angle with small aperture and center filter (eg SK35XL) will certainly not provide the same focusing experience as a f/1.4 Zeiss Otus on a Sony A7R. But it could possibly be "good enough" and a step up from ground glass.

Although I'm quite confident in handling ground glass focusing, I would not hesitate ditching the sliding back and ground glass and just compose and focus on live view as I do with my DSLR. As you say it could be a game changer in the tech cam space, greatly increasing the popularity of view cameras.

I doubt this camera back can provide that, but hopefully it's a step in the right direction.

Concerning pricing my guess is that it will be more expensive than the H5D-50, but not so much, probably cheaper than the H5D-60. We'll see :). If it's becoming extremely expensive I wonder who's going to buy it. CMOS with its high ISO can be a cost saver, you can work with simpler lighting and be more all-around etc, so I think making it super-expensive would be like cancelling out the advantages it's supposed to provide.

And there was me thinking it would be 18 months or so before a CMOS MFDB appeared !

'...improved Live Video in Phocus...' - hmm, I really hope there is a DSLR equivalent live view on the DB itself (without having to be tethered). If there is, the whole thorny issue of focussing (high precision rings, ultra-fine helicals etc.) goes out of the window. What a breath of fresh air ! At one stroke, cameras like the Linhof Techno, A/S ML-2 etc. will come into a league of their own.

As ever, I suspect pricing will folow the flawed model of 'reassuringly expensive' ... and end up the wrong side of $40k ... ho, hum.

Jim

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just wonder how many of those that say that they want competition and are hoping Hasselblad succeeds actually demo'd a Hasselblad camera and considered it before buying a Phase One back.
What's your point?

If hasselblad hadn't been so closed and proprietary with their later H versions then they might have had a better opportunity to appeal to folks who would like to mix and match gear. I think that they somewhat shot themselves in the foot by shutting out other backs from the bodies plus I still couldn't live with an external battery pack for tech cam use.

In the meantime, I genuinely believe that competition and innovation is good for everyone,

jlm

Workshop Member
too bad we can't just piggy-back an A7 on the blad/phase body and use that for a "viewfinder" only. ;)

or maybe hasselblad will add focus mag and peaking to complement the live view

torger

Sensor size will be interesting, likely 44x33, similar pixel size as a7r, or closer to 47x39. Full frame seems unlikely with that pixel count.

Maybe 44x33 and significantly cheaper than the current h5d-50? Could be a great camera for wedding photographers.