The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CMOS 50 announced

RVB

Sensor size will be interesting, likely 44x33, similar pixel size as a7r, or closer to 47x39. Full frame seems unlikely with that pixel count.

Maybe 44x33 and significantly cheaper than the current h5d-50? Could be a great camera for wedding photographers.
A version based on a scaled up D7100 sensor would be very interesting,full 60mp size chip would contain approx 158mp. ;-) (based on 3.7um)

The H5Dc is just the start,there will be more to come..

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Was about time for CMOS coming into MFDB. Although all my Hasselblad gear is sold (and I probably will never get int MF) I appreciate that finally Hasselblad starts leading again.

Will be interesting when Leica and Phase will follow?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting news, and hopefully the sign of a new direction. This from dpr:

"This development comes weeks after Hasselblad was reported to have quietly replaced its CEO, Dr Larry Hansen. He was the man responsible for the tie-up with Sony that created the Hasselblad Lunar and has been replaced by former chief operating officer Ian Rawcliffe. It is unclear whether the change of management spells the end for the Hasselblad Lunar and Stellar cameras."

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Was about time for CMOS coming into MFDB. Although all my Hasselblad gear is sold (and I probably will never get int MF) I appreciate that finally Hasselblad starts leading again.

Will be interesting when Leica and Phase will follow?
I think that it is VERY premature to think that Hasselblad is leading anybody and everyone else following based on the information so far. Let's see the goods before making proclamations like that.

Last edited:

BANKER1

Everyone knows Hasselblad needs additional revenue to survive. They way they tried to attain that goal with the Lunar was flawed in every sense of the word and at every level. Larry Hansen had to go, and he did so months ago (very quietly).

Leica set the example for marketing other cameras under their brand, so it should have been a model for Hasselblad. And, even using designers could have put a Hassy spin on it. Maybe, after all the ridicule, Hasselblad has come to their senses and will use their partnership with Sony to bring groundbreaking products to market.

Greg

fotografz

I doubt that this camera was a last minute development, or a signal that they have come to their senses. It had to be a parallel R&D effort in tandem with Sony. Sony is getting really aggressive with sensor development, and the new stuff they all ready have working models of is jaw dropping tech … with the last hurdle being cost containment. Be interesting if some of that made it into this camera.

Live View in-camera may have its own set of issues given the power requirements and existing battery of the H5D, and/or heat issues.

Be great if it was the same size sensor as the current 50, and not crop frame like the H5/40.

- Marc

hcubell

Everyone knows Hasselblad needs additional revenue to survive. They way they tried to attain that goal with the Lunar was flawed in every sense of the word and at every level. Larry Hansen had to go, and he did so months ago (very quietly).

Leica set the example for marketing other cameras under their brand, so it should have been a model for Hasselblad. And, even using designers could have put a Hassy spin on it. Maybe, after all the ridicule, Hasselblad has come to their senses and will use their partnership with Sony to bring groundbreaking products to market.

Greg
1. Unless you are Hasselblad's banker, I don't understand how you know whether the Lunar has been a financial success or not.

2. I find the Leica model of limited edition cameras in grotesque colors and exotic materials equally offensive.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think that it is VERY premature to think that Hasselhlad is leading anybody and everyone else following based on the information so far. Let's see the goods before making proclamations like that.
Well, my statement was WRT finally we have one of the MFD players getting CMOS in - which will be the future till any other technology comes up maybe ....

So I am happy that Hasselblad is doing this, as they were not too successful in the past years and actually could really need such a boost.

And YES - I am convinced that CMOS meanwhile is better than CCD - but actually I do not care for any religious discussions - simply use what you like to use best.

GrahamWelland

No religion from my side. If it takes Sony throwing their hat in the ring with a partner like Hasselblad then it's good all ways around. Heck, my favourite long term camera is an XPan II (I've had three and I'm not selling again!) and that was produced by Fuji but in conjunction with Hasselblad. Ditto the Zeiss and Fuji glass they use. If it works I think all of us will embrace it.

I just want to see a real camera with a real sensor with real software before declaring it nirvana. I'm sure that the Lunar/Stellar was a well intentioned part of the Sony partnership (and Hasselblad cash cow) but it really hurt Hasselblad's credibility IMHO.

(Btw, lest anyone think that I'm an H hater, I would FAR FAR rather gone with an H system for my Phase One backs than the Phamiya DF/DF+. In so many ways it's a better DSLR IMHO)

BANKER1

1. Unless you are Hasselblad's banker, I don't understand how you know whether the Lunar has been a financial success or not.

2. I find the Leica model of limited edition cameras in grotesque colors and exotic materials equally offensive.
1. The financial success of the Lunar is not my issue as much as the clearly ugly and EXPENSIVE camera. Equally offensive was the squandering of their rich heritage to hawk a clearly overpriced and ugly camera.

2. I could care less about colors. I can choose to buy any color I want, but really the choice should be about the quality of the images it produces.

Greg

GrahamWelland

1. The financial success of the Lunar is not my issue as much as the clearly ugly and EXPENSIVE camera. Equally offensive was the squandering of their rich heritage to hawk a clearly overpriced and ugly camera.

2. I could care less about colors. I can choose to buy any color I want, but really the choice should be about the quality of the images it produces.

Greg
Giving a pig a Prada handbag doesn't make it a Gisele Bundschen. (Not that the Sony is a pig btw). At least Leica dressed up what was already regarded as their premium camera and whatever cosmetic changes didn't come with a 10x price increase, plus let's be honest they were immediately collectible and almost without exception went Up in value.

S

Shelby Lewis

Damn... now if they'd just make a new inexpensive 24(ish)mp large-chip camera for the rest of us (with the new tech and body), they'd really be on to something (for those of us who want the MF look but generally post all of our work in the digital domain and only print large on occasion)... . Glad to see Hasselblad potentially coming back into the fold!

hcubell

Greg
Really? You said that Hasselblad needed/needs revenue to survive (that's unusual), and the Lunar strategy was flawed in every respect. Well, if they are making millions selling them, I can think of one respect in which the strategy is brilliant.
My sense is that Hasselblad is just following the lead of Leica. Selling cameras as collectibles to people who really aren't buying them for serious photography. However, I could care less. This is a free country. You make a ton of money legally, buy whatever you want and do what you want with it. If it helps a camera manufacturer finance the R&D for the products I care about, all the better. How can that be a bad thing?
BTW, do you have a NEX 7? I do. Very nice image quality.

hcubell

I think that it is VERY premature to think that Hasselblad is leading anybody and everyone else following based on the information so far. Let's see the goods before making proclamations like that.
I agree. Completely. Let's see and test real shipping products before jumping to conclusions about how much of an advance this camera really is over the CCD offerings now available. After all, if hasselblad 's implementation of Live View is anything like My IQ180, we can all have a good laugh!

torger

How can that be a bad thing?
Destruction of brand credibility, potentially hurting its sales in the long term. If they make obviously over-priced pimped versions of yesterday's camera technology, at least I start to doubt their honesty, which in longer term can hurt the view on their medium format cameras.

I hope that the Lunar turns out to be a financial fiasco so they'll stop murdering their brand. Hopefully not so bad financially that their are brought down on their knees though.

I'm a Swedish citizen. Sweden is a very small country and we feel pride of our internationally known companies, so it hurts to see Hasselblad do something that surely makes Victor Hasselblad turn in his grave.

However, this new release of a real camera with new sensor technology in their MF range is very good news indeed. Maybe the rumoured IQ250 will steal the show anyway, we'll see. My guess is that it will be as usual, IQ250 will be substantially better digital back (with proper live view, battery in the back, etc), but the H5D-50c will be cheaper and (arguably) mounted on a better camera body.