The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Considering the HY6

mmbma

Some of you might know I sold my IQ260 a while back. Well it so happens that I sold all of my Phase gear as a package deal and all I have left is my trusty V system and the CFV39. As much as I love it, I need auto focus and higher resolution for studio shots. So I'm thinking of getting rid of it all together and select a fresh system. It's really liberating actually, as I've been locked into Phase for more than 3 years.

Leaf/Rollei HY6: I lusted this system for so long I don't even remember. I just like the way it shoots and it suits indoor studio very well. One question I hope someone could answer for me: Does anyone use a HY6 digital back on their Alpas? I know Alpa makes a very pricey back adapter for HY6 but has anyone tried this combo? Compatibility to my Alpas would be very important.

Also, does Schneider glasses have similar issues with HY6 backs beyond 60MP? I am looking at the Credo 80. or Aptus 12

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you can fire an HY6 back with a sync cable without being attached to the camera, it'll work on the Alpa. The interface is only a way of holding the back in the right position on the camera body. That's it.

mmbma

these backs are hard to come by preowned. I also worry about support since the Hy6 is discontinued

Geoff

Have put a Hy6 (or AFI as it is also known) back on Silvestri, Linhof and KG adapter plates. It goes fine, a bit snug, and some of these are a bit fussy for going back and forth (Silvestri likes using your fingernails), but the fit is there. The Leaf back goes on a tech camera without a cable. The Alpa plate looks very well made, but never tried it. You might contact Linhof & Studio, they have sold one.

On the Hy6, the lenses and 80mb backs - not an issue. Contact Eric Hiss at Rolleiflex USA who uses this setup and also is a dealer for the camera. He's got his 80mb back (Leaf AFI 12) dialed in very well.

FYI - The Schneider glass holds up very well against pretty good view camera glass. Two nice things: focus confirmation works well with the manual focus lenses, thus you can avail yourself to their earlier MF glass with confidence; also any distortion (say in 50mm) is simple, barrel type, readily fixed in C1. The rest of the glass is just excellent.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hy6 is definitely not discontinued.

It was, for a period, very dicey for the parent company (including a bankruptcy restructuring). But all indications is they are now doing perfectly well, in no small part due to sales to China's emerging wealthy (where Rollei is a very strongly regarded brand).

Leaf is also making new backs for hy6 mount and all indications are this will continue for at least the short and mid term.

I think the hy6 can be best summed up with the observation that while it's somewhat hard to find hy6 owners, it is far far harder to find an unhappy hy6 customer.

I'll admit I didn't fully understand until I did my first shoot with one - it's a very nice body.

EH21

Hi All,
Yes the Hy6 is definitely still available and you can still buy one new and for about $1000 less than the Hy6 Mod2. Service of course is no problem on either.

Doug is correct that they have strong sales into Asia and Russia.

Also noteworthy, DHW also still offers all the TLR film cameras.

Eric

torger

Technical issues or financial issue ??
Hasselblad and Phase One won't do it as their own cameras don't support 6x6. Then Sinar remains and I don't think their motivation and ability is high enough.

Technically it should be possible though, we have had backs of this size before, ie the Dicomed BigShot.

mmbma

Hi All,
Yes the Hy6 is definitely still available and you can still buy one new and for about $1000 less than the Hy6 Mod2. Service of course is no problem on either.

Doug is correct that they have strong sales into Asia and Russia.

Also noteworthy, DHW also still offers all the TLR film cameras.

Eric
wasn't there an option to upgrade Mod1 to Mod2s? That program has been discontinued?

Also I hear that leaf backs can swap mounts. does that mean I can buy a Leaf mamiya mount and send it to leaf to get it modified into Hy6?

lance_schad

Workshop Member
wasn't there an option to upgrade Mod1 to Mod2s? That program has been discontinued?

Also I hear that leaf backs can swap mounts. does that mean I can buy a Leaf mamiya mount and send it to leaf to get it modified into Hy6?
No mount swaps to the HY6/Afi platform.

Lance

EH21

wasn't there an option to upgrade Mod1 to Mod2s?
DHW definitely still offers the upgrade to Mod2 and I can facilitate this for customers. Some caveats however:

1) Some of the oldest bodies can not be updated.
2) Upgrade cost varies and depends on whether you choose to go with the all black body panels and which firmware version you are starting with.
3) Some Sinar bodies may not be eligible for upgrade - please check first.

Dustbak

Hy6 is definitely not discontinued.

I'll admit I didn't fully understand until I did my first shoot with one - it's a very nice body.
I once almost went for an AFI but right at that moment heaven fell down and suddenly the future of that body became very murky. Today I still lust for it, the moment P1 drops that awful Mamiya contraption in favor of the Rollei I would not hesitate to switch to P1. The Rollei is the only body I consider to be better than the H series body.

2) Upgrade cost varies and depends on whether you choose to go with the all black body panels and which firmware version you are starting with.
Eric,
Is this something new? I thought they couldn't change the panels. What about the viewfinders, I don't suppose they can repaint those?

BTW to those with experience with the 45degree prism finder, what is it like? Is it possible to use handheld while holding the camera vertical? I'm wondering if the view is better than the 90degree finder, which is mirror based, and is it more precise for focusing manually.