The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SWC and Digital Back

elrafo

hello!

First, I was simply wondering if the SWC is compatible with CFV backs...

also, is that 38mm lens particularly good for distortion in wide angle ? is there a real advantage compared to other prime lenses to keep verticals straight, and landscape, Architecture ?

thanks!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
elrafo

There is no trouble to connect a CFV-xx back to the SWC .
Some older SWC models might need a modification to the tripod mounting plate . I don't know which ones .
With the CFV back comes a battery holder bracket , that you will need to attach to the camera .

There is no ZEISS BIOGON lens correction in PHOCUS . The distortion is almost not visible , but I recommend a LCC shot .
As you can not do shifts with the SWC you will have to correct converging lines in PSCS when you want to use the SWC for architecture and want your lines to be straight vertical .

Hope this helps .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Just a quick iPHONE image of my SWC905 tripod mounting plate .
Detailed images will follow .
I removed the original plate and made an own plate , which allows the CFV or CFV-50c to be attached without the attachment bracket .
The SWC is mounted on the SMART FLEX bracket . A perfect combination .:thumbup:
View attachment 85485

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here the plate , but a film back attached . The CFV back fits in the same perfect way . The screws are M2,5 x0,45 . Standard thread . Here with TX8 head . The original plate was an ARCA plate .:lecture:

View attachment 85486

jlm

Workshop Member
nice one Jürgen

i'm making one as well, but mine will have the clamp grooves run side to side, not front to back, and with an L-plate. will make it fit the 500/200 series

Last edited:

Uaiomex

Hello Jürgen, long time since we talked last time. I hope you're just fine.
I wish to ask you a few things about your gear:
Have you used or owned the CF-IF 40mm?
If you have, perhaps you could tell me which lens do you find sharper all across the frame, the 38mm or the 40mm?
Since the 38mm is a Biogon design, is it free of problems with the digital backs due to its non-retrofocus formula?
Thanks in advance,
Best
Eduardo

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yes , Eduardo , we haven't talked since long . What a shame .
I am doing fine , except my visits at the dentist .

I own the DISTAGON 40 CFE/IF and as you can see also the 905SWC.
First of all , I am not a pixel peeper and will never be .
The Distagon IF produces tack sharp images all over (CFV-39 and CFV-50) but shows some distortion , which can easily be corrected in PHOCUS .

The SWC produces fine images with no visible distortions . I find the edges and corners a bit softer or should I say , not as sharp . That will possibly not work perfect , when doing stitched panos . This is with the CFV-39/CFV-50 .
If you use a CFV-50c , you surely won't see that .

I always take an LCC shot with WA lenses . If you later need it , you have it .
I should still mention the main difference for me between the two . It is the weight .
While I only use the 40 IF with a tripod , you can use the SWC hand held .

An older image of my 905SWC with modified Voigtlander OVF .
View attachment 85564

View attachment 85565

Take care and best regards .

jlm

Workshop Member
just finished my L-plate for the V cameras; shown on the 205, but also fits the 500 and the SWC (adapter plate supplied which allows battery to be fitted without the hasselblad battery extender.)

details:

camera with L-plate mounts via Arca-style grooves in portrait or landscape mode. also fits RRS clamps (RRS pano clamp shown, but the quick clamps also work).

clears battery of CFV5-c digital back;
allows access to controls of 205 series cameras.
black anodized aluminum
index marks show lens centerlines
clamp is centered over the camera tripod hole for 205 and 500; moved forward to clear battery for the SWC

in limited production:
jm-at-milich dot com

johnnygoesdigital

The SWc works fine...
When I first shot with mine,I was not pushing hard enough on the shutter release, so I was charging the photo sites on the sensor, but getting corrupt color images instead. It's a rather neat rig with a DB. There's no movements so obtuse angles of light should not be a problem

jlm

Workshop Member
on the SWC: the existing plate on the SWC gets removed and replaced (same screws) with the stainless steel plate shown. this moves everything forward so the battery will clear.

and the L-plate itself, showing the cutaways (one for anti-rotation when screwed to the camera, one to clear the 205 controls and straps)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Very very nice , John .
Especially , because it can be used for 50x CAMERAS as well .:thumbs:

PSon

John,
You need the 500 series, Arcbody and Flexbody cameras
to model for your L bracket.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Biogon should be a bit problematic with digital sensors for two reasons:

1) The beam angle on Biogons is large and that causes problems with the deep wells of the digital sensors.

2) The cover glass in combination with large beam angles introduces astigmatism.

The CFV 50 is probably a good choice for the SWC while the CVF 50c has a different design of pixels and microlenses, so it may be more problematic. The CFV 50c is 1.3X crop, so it will have less wide angle coverage, but crop may give better corners.

The Biogon has very little distortion and is sharper across the field than the Distagon 40/4 CFE according to MTF data. But the Distagon 40 is pretty good on MFDBs when stopped down to f/11 or so. There is a new version of the Distagon 40, called Distagon 404 CFx/IF, with IF meaning Internal Focus. That lens is rare but excellent.

This article by Dr. Hubert Nasse of Zeiss gives some insights on the issue:

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/wp-...2011/12/en_CLB41_Nasse_LensNames_Distagon.pdf

The relevant discussion is on pages 11-13.

I don't own the SWC, in part of the reasons mentioned above.

I have the normal Distagon 40/4 CFE (not the IF version)

Here are some samples: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/BernardSamples/Distagon40/

And here is an aperture series f/4, f/8, f/16

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/BernardSamples/CastleShoot/Distagon_40/

Best regards
Erik

hello!

First, I was simply wondering if the SWC is compatible with CFV backs...

also, is that 38mm lens particularly good for distortion in wide angle ? is there a real advantage compared to other prime lenses to keep verticals straight, and landscape, Architecture ?

thanks!

Last edited: