The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Conundrum 105DC vs the 105 Micro AF-S

Tektrader

I really would like a nice portrat lens BUT I obviously I want something a bit more multipurpose as well.

Keen on the 105DC but a few questions, Is the focus when set to 0 DC even across the frame? If it is going to be a general purpose short tele I want focus uniformity. Will this lens accomplish this?

The F2 aperture is a BIG plus for me.

Now the 105 AF-S micro, I am really set to buy this BUT the F2.8 aperture puts me off.

Are there any other options? I am close to buying neither and just get the Samyang 80 1.4 for cheap. But it really is a bit short and AF would be nice.

Do any of the Sigma's measure up? comparison?

I have a 70-200 F2.8 already and am expecting a step up from either of these 2 lenses on the D800. Is that going to happen?

Gino Troian

I've used the 105DC and it's a great lens. When the lens is set to 0DC, it acts as a fast medium-tele, and of course, the bokeh and 0DC is still beautiful. It takes some time to get used to using the defocus control, but when you learn how to properly use it, its a great, great lens. Not to mention its ULTRA SHARPPPPP

Gino Troian

Yeah, no focus issues at all. I'm not sure if these lenses are known to have bad focusing issues, but mine was completely fine. Can't speak for the 105 macro, but you should definitely invest in the 105DC, if anything they'll go up in value in a few years.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ditto what Gino said. It is my favorite look lens, and the fact it's totally tunable from just a razor-sharp fast 105 tele to almost any degree of "glowing" portrait lens is simply gravy.

zhangp

Among the three real classic AF Nikkors:
28mm/1.4D, 85mm/1.4D AF, and 105 or 135mm/2D DC AF,
105/2 DC is my favorate for portraits.

D&A

Agree with everything said regarding the 105DC....but keep in mind, many samples, especially certain runs here in the U.S. seemed to be mis-adjusted and the "0" setting on the DC control is really not null. nother words, setting the DC control to zero on these mid-adjusted lenses (coming from the factory this way or the others) still sets some degree of defocus control and it requires a setting to one side of zero or the others, to achieve no DC effect. Its very common and easy to determine with a set of test shots.

The reason I mention this, is I would hate to see someone purchase this lens, set it to zero and find absolute sharpness across the frame, somewhat softer than they expected/ Other than that, it's a real favorite and deserves all the acolades it receives.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: