The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any interest in the D810?

Paul2660

It seems that this will be announced sometime next week, as the update for both the D800 and D800e.

From what I have read, it seems that it will have a bit better DR, in the higher iso range, somewhat faster frame rate, 1 fps, but I noticed that a "small raw" is being mentioned. This would be a nice feature as in some cases I am not in need of a full 36MP sized file, mainly in night work.

It seems it won't have wifi built in which was surprising to me as this seems to be pretty standard now on all modern bodies.

Current claim is that the body will be lighter also.

Build will be in Thailand, not Japan.

As far as I can tell announcement date is the 26th of June.

Paul

segedi

I'm interested to see what Canon and Nikon come up with over the next few months. Sold my only DSLR, a Canon 7D, and am in the market for something full frame.

I'm thinking Nikon might be a good change and have some glass already. sRAW, lighter body, and better low light are all of interest.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm buying one, assuming it like the D800E is effectively without an OLPF. I currently only have one body and want a second, but have been putting off buying a second D800E. So assuming they don't do something completely braindead to it I'll get a D810 or D800s or whatever it will be called instead of a second D800E.

JohnBrew

As a landscape photographer I would buy for certain if they offered an improved LV. Otherwise there haven't been announced any improvements which would be of assistance. No AA filter would be nice but since I only print to 24" and already have the best glass there would be no reason to upgrade.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Any interest in the D810 ?

(...) I noticed that a "small raw" is being mentioned. This would be a nice feature as in some cases I am not in need of a full 36MP sized file, mainly in night work. (...)

I wouldn't buy the D810 (or is it D800s) for the sRAW feature, it doesn't sound all that useful at least not in the implementation we know so far from D4s.

Quoting Thom Hogan: The S Models | byThom | Thom Hogan

"sRaw - first seen by Nikon users on the D4s - is not actually Bayer-type data. It’s YCbCr data, much like JPEG and TIFF.
It’s also 11-bit data that has had a tone curve and in-camera white balance applied, meaning that the pixels are “cooked,” not raw.
Because you have full values for each pixel location, the sRaw format doesn’t save much file space over Nikon Compressed NEF.
If you’re interested in what sRaw really is, see this article on Rawdigger.

The primary gain from using sRaw over Compressed NEF would come only on batch processing large numbers of images.
But that comes with only one-quarter the pixels (9mp) and potential image quality and converter issues.
I’d suggest shooting NEF+JPEG Small or Medium instead.
Better yet, just use a Df instead ;~) "

But apart from that, improved Live View sounds great.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
YCbCr is just a different way of storing RGB. First the luma is defined as Y=R+G+B. Then, the fractions that are red and blue are defined as: Cr=Y/R, Cb=Y/B. Anything not red or blue is green. A GRGB mosaic can be stored as YCrYCb. Instead of R and B, their fractional portion of the luma is stored, and instead of green the luma is stored. This format has some advantages and its use is completely independent of any compression technique (actually mapping functions in the case of sRAW or compressed NEF). It's also completely independent of whether it's demosaiced, white balanced, or otherwise processed. However, sRAW by its very nature requires resampling the image; no getting around that regardless of how it's stored.

(Actually, instead of using Cr=Y/R, what's used is Cr=CMr(R/Y)*2048 for an 11-bit Cr. It's defined as 0 for Y=0. CMr is the chroma mapping function for red.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am not in any hurry to "upgrade" my D800's -- they are performing admirably and more than adequate for my tasks. Smaller raw is a non issue for me as I never hit the buffer and have enough large cards I never run out of storage right now.

Things that interest me are better noise/higher ISO, though from a practical standpoint the D800 has not been an issue for me, even shooting travel/street at night with an f4 zoom. Better live view is good, but I rarely use it now finding focus tuning so good, so it's mostly a composition tool for me. Even larger rear retina LCD will always be welcome. Or maybe a super good wireless tethering to a remote retina display device that can also be profiled. Even if I had to buy a custom device outside an iPad or Samsung tablet and it cost $1000, for me this would be useful.

Everything else I want is lens related -- like a killer 17/18 multi-axis tilt-shift lens, and improved 24mm and 45 tilt-shifts and with multi-axis.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I will probably shift out the D800 and shift-in an 810.
I usually travel light with a Df and it is very nice for low light.
Just to show you how lazy I am, it is usually with one or two lenses and that is that.
If it had built-in GPS, the 810 might displace the Df in that role
If the focusing goes D4s level, that would do it for me, but on just one body.
The D800e for all practical purposes has performed just about as well as I could have expected.
-bob

Dogs857

Sign me up.
Electronic shutter in LV mode, ISO 64 standard (32 extended) no AA filter (not negated like in the D800E) and better DR. Everything I need and was waiting for. Time to sell the trusty D3x I think.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If I see the need for 36MP in the future, I'll probably get one in addition to or instead of my D700. The combination m4/3 and Nikon FX seems to work very well for me, so GH3/4 and D700/810 is what I'm aiming at. Any word of buffer size when shooting RAW bursts?

Ben Rubinstein

Not sure how much need there is to upgrade for the studio or landscape shooter but I can see the D810 appealing to a lot of event photographers. I'd say that the advantages the 5D3 may once have had are now gone for good. The D800 after all this time is still an utterly excellent camera, quite the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' camera still as yet not even close to challenged by its competitors.

M

mjr

I agree, for what I shoot I think the D800 is pretty much perfect, so much so I picked up another E body a few months back just because it was cheap. It'll be a nice camera to move into through the natural replacement process but there's not much here that would force me to sell what I have to buy the 810, I'd rather spend the money on glass and lighting.

Mat

jonoslack

This might just be the final push to get me to buy a D800e! There should be a few around for good prices.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As a landscape photographer I would buy for certain if they offered an improved LV. Otherwise there haven't been announced any improvements which would be of assistance. No AA filter would be nice but since I only print to 24" and already have the best glass there would be no reason to upgrade.
I think a lot of folks would probably upgrade for better Live View. Even better with focus peaking. Once i moved to Sony I threw away my Hoodman LCD loupe. LOL

Obviously depends on preferences which helps someone. Not sure this upgrade from a D800E would be worth it but as a new buyer coming to a bigger DSLR style camera than it would be a nice purchase. Price point though is a little high though given whats out there in 36mpx now.

turtle

Sounds like a great camera. A few issues that dissuaded people from the D800 have now been addressed and its the polish on a winning formula. It will be interesting to see what the next Canon 5D variant is like, which can't be far away. With Nikon speeding up the D810, improving LV and giving reduced RAW files, the 5D III does lose some of its 'events' benefits, but AF performance on the D810 remains to be seen. Certainly raises the bar high for Canon though! Ironically, the Sony A7 series negated my interest in the Nikon line because now I can use my 24 TS-E II and stable of lovely L glass. I can see why Nikon users might now desperately want improved tilt/shift lenses from Nikon.

My overall impression is 'aren't we lucky?' So many incredible cameras leaving little to be desired...

Uaiomex

+1
I shoot with EOS. But to me Nikon has issued a written certified challenge to Canon with the 810.
Nikon matched the best of Canon. Now it is for Canon to match the best from Nikon. No more excuses. Glass and support (latest promos) are not enough!
Eduardo

Sounds like a great camera. A few issues that dissuaded people from the D800 have now been addressed and its the polish on a winning formula. It will be interesting to see what the next Canon 5D variant is like, which can't be far away. With Nikon speeding up the D810, improving LV and giving reduced RAW files, the 5D III does lose some of its 'events' benefits, but AF performance on the D810 remains to be seen. Certainly raises the bar high for Canon though! Ironically, the Sony A7 series negated my interest in the Nikon line because now I can use my 24 TS-E II and stable of lovely L glass. I can see why Nikon users might now desperately want improved tilt/shift lenses from Nikon.

My overall impression is 'aren't we lucky?' So many incredible cameras leaving little to be desired...