The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cases and carrying DP2 Merrill

Tim

I know its a boring as, wondering how you carry and protect your DP2 Merrill?

I often tote a lightweight day backpack so have room for accessories, I'm looking for protection for my DP2M camera only while in the backpack with the possibility of a belt loop so it can go on my belt as need be.

Thoughts, ideas?

neilvan

I normally just leave my L-plate/grip attached and use a LensCoat XX Small Hoodie slipped over the Sigma hood that I leave on 100% of the time. I generally just put my DP2 Merrill in its own pocket in my Arc'teryx Quintic backpack.

I also have a couple of padded pouches from various accessories over the years that work well when needed.

P

Pete_G

I'm using a ThinkTank Lens Changer for my DP2M. It allows easy removal of the camera whilst still in the backpack. It has a sturdy belt loop if you wish to use it that way. It has a thin rain flap over the top. I think mine is, from memory, the 35 size but I can't be sure.

P

Pete_G

Just checked, mine is the 25 size, big enough for the DP2M with the Milich grip attached.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I use two bags: for just the DP2 Merrill and the Uwe stick, a tiny Explorer pouch on a strap; I sling this from one should to the opposite hip, and I can run with it on, too.

and for scale:

When I am shooting Panos, I mount the DP2 on the PT4Pano bracket and head, and put this in a Crumpler bag (Cokin grad filter in one of the pockets) and team that with the MeFoto tripod.

kgelner

I know its a boring as, wondering how you carry and protect your DP2 Merrill?

I often tote a lightweight day backpack so have room for accessories, I'm looking for protection for my DP2M camera only while in the backpack with the possibility of a belt loop so it can go on my belt as need be.

Thoughts, ideas?
So far the most useful way to carry the DP-2M and DP-1M is to keep it in a jacket pocket, with nothing else...

I've still not found a good case I like otherwise, especially since I have attached a grip and also the Optech flip-cap lens cap in place of the normal one.

As the summer approaches and jacket pockets are impractical, I'll probably look at a range of belt pouches.

In another forum I read someone found this very nice looking (fake) leather case that seems like it would offer a good protection in a backpack (and it's very cheap):

New Vintage Leather Camera Case Bag Cover for Sigma DP1M DP2M Brown or Black | eBay

Tim

Just checked, mine is the 25 size, big enough for the DP2M with the Milich grip attached.
Thanks for that, I nearly bought the 35. I think I'll likely end up with the grip as well so this is valuable info.

Tim

I use two bags: for just the DP2 Merrill and the Uwe stick, a tiny Explorer pouch on a strap;
Hi Kit, from a crow-eater across the border. :salute:

Can I ask where you got the Explorer? Was it bought in Australia?

Cheers.

Tim

PS: thanks for taking the time to take pics of your rig

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hey Tim,

among the many bags I have, I honestly cannot remember where I got it. Have you tried googling it? Let me know how you go. I will be over in your neck of the woods soon, too. Cheers, Kit