The GetDPI Photography Forums  

Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > Pentax

Site Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2010   #1
Super Duper

Testing out a Pentax K5

Well - back in July I had a Pentax K7 for a week, and sent it back. I loved the camera, but not the sensor.

Having fallen for the Sony sensor in the A55, it was hard to resist testing out the K5 (body of the K7, sensor of the A55). . . . . so I didn't resist!

Basically, it's slightly bigger than an A55 (but not much). Metal, weathersealed, very quite, beautifully built.

here are some early results - almost all shots taken with the Pentax 35 mm f2.8 limited macro.

I've also been fiddling around with some night shots:

City Nights

Just this guy you know
jonoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010   #2
Super Duper

Re: Testing out a Pentax K5

I'm glad to see that 20mm lens on the E-P1 is getting used (see shots in the night gallery). It has a very good provenance .

Too bad both don't share the same lens mount to see how the two render differently with same settings same lenses.
Old 13th November 2010   #3
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
I'm glad to see that 20mm lens on the E-P1 is getting used (see shots in the night gallery). It has a very good provenance .

Too bad both don't share the same lens mount to see how the two render differently with same settings same lenses.
Hi Terry
Actuallly, that's Kevin's lens . . . and that's Cam lying on the floor with my M9 and here noctilux!

Did you look at the ISO values . . . incidentally, the night shots were taken in Gent, and in Bergen op Zoom (Holland)

Just this guy you know

Last edited by jonoslack; 13th November 2010 at 10:18.
Old 13th November 2010   #4
Super Duper

Yes, that particular 20mm used to be domiciled in San Francisco hence the excellent provenance . I will go back through the ISOs when I get home.
Old 13th November 2010   #5

terry

loving the lens... visits from parents and other sundry Getdpi members plus incessant rain have cramped the photo taking... but here is one from your former possesion

Coloured Bike by kevinparis, on Flickr
Old 13th November 2010   #6
Super Duper

How high with the auto ISO go or do you have to manually select 3200 and 6400. How high have you dared to go above 6400?
Old 13th November 2010   #7

step away terry..... this is not the hi iso camera you are looking for...

says kevin in his best scottish/Jedi accent

your a MF girl now... you can't go back :-)

K
Old 13th November 2010   #8

Looking at this camera as well with a couple of limiteds to go with it. If Jono keeps it, then i will seriously look at it. If not...
ecsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010   #9
Super Duper

Pretty amazing the body only price of the K5 is more than double the price of the A55 body in the US.
Old 13th November 2010   #10
Super Duper

Quote:
How high with the auto ISO go or do you have to manually select 3200 and 6400. How high have you dared to go above 6400?
You can set the auto ISO range to anything you like - so, if you want you can set it from 80-51000, I have it set from 100-6400. I have gone above, but to be honest I haven't really found a situation were I wanted more than 6400, and as you can see from the puddle picture, that's just fine.

Quote:
Pretty amazing the body only price of the K5 is more than double the price of the A55 body in the US.
If you pick up the A55, and then pick up the K5 you'll see why it's more than double the price. To be honest, pick up the K5 next to the Sony A900, it's better made, more solid, and has the same (or similar) facilities - not to run down the A55, but you would expect a plastic bodied camera which is not water or dust resistant, has a noisier shutter (despite no mirror flap) to be cheaper than a metal bodied camera, fully weather sealed, with the quietest shutter available.

I really don't mean to run down the A55 - it's great, and the live-view is a whole quantum leap better than that of the K5 . . . but the build quality and options is a whole quantum leap less good!

Just this guy you know
Old 13th November 2010   #11
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
Looking at this camera as well with a couple of limiteds to go with it. If Jono keeps it, then i will seriously look at it. If not...

Don't take any notice of me . . . I'm a terrible flibbertygibbet. My M9s and the A900 seem to have become a given . . . apart from that I'm the most terrible camera whore.

But certainly, the K5 with the 35 f2.8 macro limited seems to do a lovely job (and the body is as lovely as the old E1 - the lens is rather reminiscent of the 50 'cron with the sliding lens hood). I have a Zeiss ZK 50 1.4 on it's way from popflash, and I'm dithering about whether to buy the Zeiss 100 macro or the pentax one (half the price and weathersealed).

Will it stay? Not on the evidence of the kit zoom, and I haven't had enough chance to shoot in daylight to see how the files look at base ISO, but the high ISO and the 35 f2.8 certainly make good cases for themselves. It's certainly passed the tests that the K7 failed.

Watch this space!

Just this guy you know
Old 13th November 2010   #12
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
step away terry..... this is not the hi iso camera you are looking for...

says kevin in his best scottish/Jedi accent
Wot . . .the EP1 or the K5?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
your a MF girl now... you can't go back :-)

K
Quite right the only forward step is an S2

Just this guy you know
Old 13th November 2010   #13
Super Duper

For what it's worth
here is a 100% crop of the last shot
don't forget that it's ISO 640

here is the full shot:

Just this guy you know
Old 13th November 2010   #14

The best Pentax box with probably one the best macro lens around, last sensor generation in Pentax electronic soup.... result... wonderful.

Question, how do you find the viewfinder compare to a 35mm film camera ?
sinwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010   #15
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
The best Pentax box with probably one the best macro lens around, last sensor generation in Pentax electronic soup.... result... wonderful.

Question, how do you find the viewfinder compare to a 35mm film camera ?
Well, it seems to be lovely (meaning that I hadn't noticed that it was anything else but grand).

Just this guy you know
Old 14th November 2010   #16

Nice shots Jono, the bokeh looks really good too. I've been wanting to get a hold of some of those limited primes for a few years now, but none of the bodies tripped my trigger till the K7 and then the sensor seemed a bit lacking. I'm really close to jumping in, but I've grown so accustomed to the fast LV AF with the GH1, that I'm afraid I would sorely miss it. Is the LV AF speed of the K5 anywhere close to Panasonic - I haven't tried the Sony yet? Thanks Clay

P.S. Did you notice any AF hunting in low light with the 35 macro?

Last edited by clay stewart; 14th November 2010 at 06:57.
clay stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010   #17
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
Nice shots Jono, the bokeh looks really good too. I've been wanting to get a hold of some of those limited primes for a few years now, but none of the bodies tripped my trigger till the K7 and then the sensor seemed a bit lacking. I'm really close to jumping in, but I've grown so accustomed to the fast LV AF with the GH1, that I'm afraid I would sorely miss it. Is the LV AF speed of the K5 anywhere close to Panasonic - I haven't tried the Sony yet? Thanks Clay

P.S. Did you notice any AF hunting in low light with the 35 macro?
HI Clay
I haven't noticed any hunting in low light - or at least, very little.
The live view autofocus is nothing like as good as the A55 - or (I think) the GH1 either - but to be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time with it, there may be techniques for improving it.
All the best

Just this guy you know
Old 14th November 2010   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
HI Clay
I haven't noticed any hunting in low light - or at least, very little.
The live view autofocus is nothing like as good as the A55 - or (I think) the GH1 either - but to be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time with it, there may be techniques for improving it.
All the best
Hi Jono and thanks. I've read that the LV is greatly improved over previous models, but not having experience with any previous models, I didn't know how great ( greatly improved) was.

I noticed that the new 35 2.4 is available too and looks to be a pretty good lens, but I think I would like to experience a metal lens again, with a distance scale, before I die.
clay stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010   #19
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
Hi Jono and thanks. I've read that the LV is greatly improved over previous models, but not having experience with any previous models, I didn't know how great ( greatly improved) was.

I noticed that the new 35 2.4 is available too and looks to be a pretty good lens, but I think I would like to experience a metal lens again, with a distance scale, before I die.
Don't write off the live view on my account . . . for two reasons:
1. I rarely use it
2. I've been shooting with an A33 and an A55 for the last two months!

as for the 35's - the 2.8 macro really is a fab lens - focus up to your nose, but it's also good for people and other things - definitely a winner

Just this guy you know
Old 16th November 2010   #20
Super Duper

Jono,
you are even worse than me.
What do you want to get from the Pentax which you do not get from the Sonys?
Paratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010   #21
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
Jono,
you are even worse than me.
What do you want to get from the Pentax which you do not get from the Sonys?
erm . .. well, my most loved dSLR was always the E1 - the K5 seems to be it's obvious successor . . . except that it's
1. smaller
2. has a quieter shutter
3. has a better viewfinder
4. shoots decent pictures at 6400 ISO
5. has a range of wonderful, and very small, prime lenses . . .
(It's missing nothing other than the fab Zuiko zooms)
I have to use it until I realise why it's not as good!

Just this guy you know
Old 16th November 2010   #22

Oh boy, this is going to cost me, LOL
I have not given in yet though.
Joe
Old 16th November 2010   #23
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsh View Post
Oh boy, this is going to cost me, LOL
I have not given in yet though.
Joe
Hi Joe
You don't have to do it . . . times have changed, and maybe a small, weatherproof dSLR with a quiet shutter, 16mp and great 6400 ISO is no longer what we all want?

Maybe!

Just this guy you know
Old 16th November 2010   #24

LOL, rub it in. I see the writing on the wall, er, cc statement now.
Joe
Old 16th November 2010   #25

I'm looking at those deep shadows in the lovely images you just posted, Jono, and I'm reminded of this insane demonstration of K-5 sensor dynamic range in the DPR forums.

There are shadows in your pictures which look blocked up/black on my display, which of course is normal for viewing photos on an LCD and says nothing about that sensor. In the back of my mind I know that if you "pushed" those files in RAW and showed me the recovered shadow detail, my mind would probably be blown. Please don't do that .
Amin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010   #26
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin View Post
I'm looking at those deep shadows in the lovely images you just posted, Jono, and I'm reminded of this insane demonstration of K-5 sensor dynamic range in the DPR forums.

There are shadows in your pictures which look blocked up/black on my display, which of course is normal for viewing photos on an LCD and says nothing about that sensor. In the back of my mind I know that if you "pushed" those files in RAW and showed me the recovered shadow detail, my mind would probably be blown. Please don't do that .
Hi Amin
Well, you're quite right, but most of them actually have the sun in the frame too, so it's understandable.

Hey - I saw a demonstration like that one years ago with another camera (can't remember which, and probably it wasn't as impressive). The camera is no kind of miracle (live view is slightly clunky for instance).
To be honest, I bought it on a nostalgia trip (I really did love the E1). It was enlightening comparing it with Silas' E1 (the Pentax is smaller and has a quieter shutter!!!). But of course it's no miracle, as far as I can see so far the files don't compare that well with either the A900 or the M9 (why would they).
. . . . but . . . .but . . . the limited lenses really do seem to be good - the build quality 'feels' like Leica lenses, and results so far are pretty un-criticisable (the kit lens is really badly shown up). The camera is not as small or as slick as a Sony A55 (but the build quality, feel and ergonomics are in another world, and the shutter is quieter, despite the static mirror of the A55).

Whatever - I don't have a great history of keeping my 'second grade' cameras - at least this one has real charm, and (unlike the K7) has passed the 'does it go back to the shop' test with flying colours.

The next test is how it does with the Zeiss 50 f1.5 ZK (got one new from Popflash for $537!) It's due to arrive tomorrow.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Just this guy you know
Old 16th November 2010   #27

Quote:
Hi Amin
Well, you're quite right, but most of them actually have the sun in the frame too, so it's understandable.
I like them just as they are and didn't mean any criticism whatsoever. Seeing shadows just reminded me of that demonstration of how much detail can be dug out of a K-5 shadow.

Thanks for sharing your ongoing impressions and samples. The K-5 is to me the most interesting DSLR to come out in years.
Old 16th November 2010   #28
Super Duper

Quote:
I like them just as they are and didn't mean any criticism whatsoever. Seeing shadows just reminded me of that demonstration of how much detail can be dug out of a K-5 shadow.

Thanks for sharing your ongoing impressions and samples. The K-5 is to me the most interesting DSLR to come out in years.
Well, I'm glad you agree about the camera - I'm desperately trying to avoid multiple lens purchases - I got a Zeiss 50 1.4 for a very good price - so I'll use that for a few days and see. I don't see how I can avoid the 15 and 77 limited lenses (can you give me a reason not to buy them?)

I think I should have my name changed by deed poll to GUY

Just this guy you know
Old 16th November 2010   #29

Quote:
Well, I'm glad you agree about the camera - I'm desperately trying to avoid multiple lens purchases - I got a Zeiss 50 1.4 for a very good price - so I'll use that for a few days and see. I don't see how I can avoid the 15 and 77 limited lenses (can you give me a reason not to buy them?)

I think I should have my name changed by deed poll to GUY

The only reason I can offer to hold off on the 15 and 77 is a personal one, which is that to me, the one to get is the FA 31/1.8. I realize that isn't so helpful!
Old 16th November 2010   #30
Super Duper

Quote:

The only reason I can offer to hold off on the 15 and 77 is a personal one, which is that to me, the one to get is the FA 31/1.8. I realize that isn't so helpful!

Well, that one I don't want (mainly because I got the 35 f2.8 - it's slower, but I like the macro, and everything else about it seems fine) Buying a 31 to go with my 35 really would be overkill!

I do wish there was a lovely 24-120 equivalent zoom (like the Olympus 12-60), but I guess you can't have everything.

Still, I don't feel so bad - I've just been reading the Phase/Pentax LULA shootout, and realise that I'm not as profligate as some people

Just this guy you know
Old 16th November 2010   #31

I had to look up "profligate", so pardon if I'm misusing it when I say that, without a doubt, this forum brings out the profligate in each of us .
Old 17th November 2010   #32
Super Duper

Quote:
I had to look up "profligate", so pardon if I'm misusing it when I say that, without a doubt, this forum brings out the profligate in each of us .
Terrible isn't it . . . I'm just rather proud that I've managed to avoid MF all these years

It's an odd world we live in when the proceeds of a 10 year old Leica tri-elmar (even if it is in mint condition) will fund a K5 with a kit lens, a 35 f2.8 limited macro and a Zeiss 50 f1.4 ZK.

Just this guy you know
Old 17th November 2010   #33

That is pretty cool. Even better if you bought the Tri-Elmar 10 years ago and sold it at a profit .
Old 17th November 2010   #34
Super Duper

Quote:
Terrible isn't it . . . I'm just rather proud that I've managed to avoid MF all these years.

It's an odd world we live in when the proceeds of a 10 year old Leica tri-elmar (even if it is in mint condition) will fund a K5 with a kit lens, a 35 f2.8 limited macro and a Zeiss 50 f1.4 ZK.
LOL!

The K5 does seem to be a fine performer.

If you don't already have one, the smc-Pentax FA43mm f/1.9 Limited is a wonderful lens, my absolute favorite of all the Pentax lenses in general and the Limiteds in specific. Once I had it, I sold my 28, 35 and 50 mm lenses as I never bothered to put them on the camera again... ;-) It pairs brilliantly with the DA21/3.2 Limited too, another very nice performer.

I almost kept the Pentax K10D body just to have a camera to use with that lens.
Old 17th November 2010   #35
cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
LOL!

If you don't already have one, the smc-Pentax FA43mm f/1.9 Limited is a wonderful lens, my absolute favorite of all the Pentax lenses in general and the Limiteds in specific. Once I had it, I sold my 28, 35 and 50 mm lenses as I never bothered to put them on the camera again... ;-) It pairs brilliantly with the DA21/3.2 Limited too, another very nice performer.

listen to Godfrey, Jono. he has deadly taste in glass
Old 17th November 2010   #36
Super Duper

Quote:
LOL!

Ah yes indeed.
I was dithering about whether to buy the FA43 or the Zeiss 50 f1.4, but as 75 really is my favorite focal length, and I always loved the 50 on the Contax, that won the battle (not to mention that it was about £100 cheaper and I already have the 35 macro).

I'm hoping to get the 15 at some point, I can see that the 21 and the 43 go nicely together . . . but I guess that would already need some serious re-organisation. I'll see how I get on with what I've already got. Right now this isn't a main system, but an interesting detour. the 35 f2.8 limited macro is proving to be a lovely lens - nice bokeh, close focus (which is one of the disadvantages of the FA43).

Just this guy you know
Old 17th November 2010   #37
Super Duper

Quote:
That is pretty cool. Even better if you bought the Tri-Elmar 10 years ago and sold it at a profit .
Wouldn't that be nice! Actually, I did buy one 4 years ago for a price I don't care to think of. This one is breaking even, but that's okay, just moving the camera fund around!

Just this guy you know
Old 18th November 2010   #38
Super Duper

Great images. and good reasons. dont do this to me...Now I want to have a look at it. I have decided that the A55 is NOT for me (nothing to do with the K5). The Zeiss zoom doesnt seem any better to me than other zooms in that range, the AF is fast but not allways as accurate as that of my D700, but most important I still feel that I prefer optical viewfinders over EVF. Beeing used to fast glass (often primes or the f2.8 pro zooms) I also find that a lens with f3.5-4.5 which also works best when stopped down a little bit more means one has to crank up ISO quite often even during daytime. I think lenses which are slower than f2.8 are just not for me (with maybe some exceptions) if it should work as a general purpose lens.

How fast and more important how accurate do you find the AF of the K5?
Have you any portrait images you could post? I am allways interested in skin tones and also in micro detail - how "real" does skin look?
Early Pentax cameras where said to have relativly strong AA filter. How you judge the K5 in this regard?
Thanks, Tom

Quote:
erm . .. well, my most loved dSLR was always the E1 - the K5 seems to be it's obvious successor . . . except that it's
1. smaller
2. has a quieter shutter
3. has a better viewfinder
4. shoots decent pictures at 6400 ISO
5. has a range of wonderful, and very small, prime lenses . . .
(It's missing nothing other than the fab Zuiko zooms)
I have to use it until I realise why it's not as good!

Old 19th November 2010   #39
Super Duper

Quote:
Great images. and good reasons. dont do this to me...Now I want to have a look at it. I have decided that the A55 is NOT for me (nothing to do with the K5). The Zeiss zoom doesnt seem any better to me than other zooms in that range, the AF is fast but not allways as accurate as that of my D700, but most important I still feel that I prefer optical viewfinders over EVF.

Being used to fast glass (often primes or the f2.8 pro zooms) I also find that a lens with f3.5-4.5 which also works best when stopped down a little bit more means one has to crank up ISO quite often even during daytime. I think lenses which are slower than f2.8 are just not for me (with maybe some exceptions) if it should work as a general purpose lens.
Ho Hum
Well, I just bought the 16-50 Pentax f2.8 zoom - it's nicely compact (but not as much as the Zony Zeiss of course, it's also well built, weathersealed and very smooth and quiet.
Quote:
How fast and more important how accurate do you find the AF of the K5?
Have you any portrait images you could post? I am allways interested in skin tones and also in micro detail - how "real" does skin look?
Early Pentax cameras where said to have relativly strong AA filter. How you judge the K5 in this regard?
Thanks, Tom
It certainly does have an AA filter, more so than the A900, but probably no more than the D700 - Skin tones look nicer than the D700 to me (but that's not saying much )
Autofocus seems very accurate (it has lens by lens adjustment as well).
The shutter on the D700 sounds like stamping on a tin can in comparison with the K5 shutter (which is quieter than the Sony and even than the E1 (we tested it)).

comparison with Nikon D7000 FWIW

I think you should go try it somewhere!

Just this guy you know
Old 19th November 2010   #40
Super Duper

yes Jono. I have one over the weekend to check it out.
Old 19th November 2010   #41
Super Duper

Quote:
yes Jono. I have one over the weekend to check it out.
Enjoy - at least, I'm sure that you WILL enjoy it.

all the best

Just this guy you know
Old 19th November 2010   #42

Quote:
Skin tones look nicer than the D700 to me (but that's not saying much )
Jono, having seen many of your disparaging comments about "Nikon color", I thought it worthwhile to clarify whether the displeasing color you are referring to is that which you observed in Aperture. If so, then it's not about "Nikon color" but rather Apple Aperture's color profile for the D700.

My D700 gave very different (and better to my eyes) color in ACR and NX2 than it did in Aperture. Many others found this as well: Example
Old 19th November 2010   #43
Super Duper

Quote:
The shutter on the D700 sounds like stamping on a tin can in comparison with the K5 shutter (which is quieter than the Sony and even than the E1 (we tested it)). ...
If so, that's a remarkable achievement. The E-1 shutter is extremely soft and quiet sounding for an SLR camera.

Hmm, the Pentax DA*16-50/2.8. It's a good performer, although not my choice in lens (I generally just don't like mid-range zooms very much, and I didn't like the balance and feel of this one much although it made good photos). There have been many reports on the Pentax mailing list of build quality issues with it ... mis-aligned elements, poor focusing performance, poor focusing accuracy at one end or the other of the focusing range, etc ... most dating from a year or two back when it was first introduced. Hopefully those were production line teething problems that have been solved by now, but I'd test it thoroughly to be sure.

Colors ... Are you talking about colors produced by the camera's internal JPEG processing engine or colors you see from raw captures? Raw capture colors are, of course, 100% dependent on both which raw image processing software you use and how you use it.

I've seen lots of beautiful work come out of Nikon D700 cameras, captured as NEF files and processed in Lightroom. I don't care what colors come out of my cameras' internal image processing engine since I generally speaking only look at raw capture files.
Old 19th November 2010   #44
Super Duper

Quote:
Jono, having seen many of your disparaging comments about "Nikon color", I thought it worthwhile to clarify whether the displeasing color you are referring to is that which you observed in Aperture. If so, then it's not about "Nikon color" but rather Apple Aperture's color profile for the D700.

My D700 gave very different (and better to my eyes) color in ACR and NX2 than it did in Aperture. Many others found this as well: Example
HI Amin
Well, I do use Aperture, but at the time I was using both Aperture and Lightroom and also Photoshop.

But I have long since decided that Aperture is the program I like best, and that changing it is more of a chore than changing cameras!

It wasn't actually skin tones which bugged me, but an impossibility to get good colour in evening light - it always seemed to be yellow, whatever one did with the WB, and it seemed to be impossible to fix. I can still see it looking back on my shots from . . . D1x, D2x, D3, D700.

Still, I'm not arrogant enough to believe that this is everybody's opinion, on the other hand I do see a lot of people saying similar things.

With the Leica and the Sony (not sure about the Pentax yet), colour simply isn't an issue - I don't fiddle with it beyond changing the white balance if necessary, and I always shoot in daylight in daylight (if you see what I mean).

P.S. I've just read the link - my problems were long before Aperture 3, the last Nikon shot I made was just over 2 years ago now (when I bought the A900 all The Nikon gear went).

But I'm happy if anyone wants to put it down to 'Jono's little obsession'

all the best

Just this guy you know

Last edited by jonoslack; 19th November 2010 at 06:49.
Old 19th November 2010   #45
Super Duper

HI Godfrey
Quote:
If so, that's a remarkable achievement. The E-1 shutter is extremely soft and quiet sounding for an SLR camera.
We were really surprised as well - I didn't think anyone would match it.
We have a nice old E1 sitting in the office here, and it was rather surprising to find that not only is it noticeably louder than the K5, it's also a little bigger (except for the teenyweeyny LCD on the back!).

Quote:
Hmm, the Pentax DA*16-50/2.8. It's a good performer, although not my choice in lens (I generally just don't like mid-range zooms very much, and I didn't like the balance and feel of this one much although it made good photos).
I agree with you about mid range zooms . . .BUT, either for pleasure (walking around with family and friends and dogs), or else shooting weddings, there is a time when they're pretty hard to avoid; I've certainly had more grief with them than any other kind of lens. What makes it worse is I like them to start from 24mm equivalent - which seems to be even more of a problem.
Quote:
There have been many reports on the Pentax mailing list of build quality issues with it ... mis-aligned elements, poor focusing performance, poor focusing accuracy at one end or the other of the focusing range, etc ... most dating from a year or two back when it was first introduced. Hopefully those were production line teething problems that have been solved by now, but I'd test it thoroughly to be sure.
I'm aware of it's history (in fact, when I had the K7 briefly I had one which was a less than stellar performer). This one feels okay, but I've made absolutely certain that the dealer is expecting it back if there's any issue, and I'll be doing lots of testing with it over the next few days.

I had some anguish about which zoom to buy (the 16-45 f4 actually has a pretty good write up), but I did want it to start at 16, and it seemed worth the extra to have it weather sealed and f2.8.

Oh how I wish for a lens like the lovely 12-60

We shall see!

Quote:
Colors ... Are you talking about colors produced by the camera's internal JPEG processing engine or colors you see from raw captures? Raw capture colors are, of course, 100% dependent on both which raw image processing software you use and how you use it.

I've seen lots of beautiful work come out of Nikon D700 cameras, captured as NEF files and processed in Lightroom. I don't care what colors come out of my cameras' internal image processing engine since I generally speaking only look at raw capture files.
Always RAW Godfrey - never JPG. During the course of my Nikon days I used:
Bibble
Nikon Capture
Photoshop
C1
Lightroom
Aperture
To try and get what I wanted - I never managed to find a way of getting consistently good colours in evening light - sure, I could fiddle about with each photo individually, but who wants to do that! Changing presets would work in some situations and not in others.

I kept thinking it must be me - but looking back on those shots things haven't changed.
As I said to Amin above - With the Sony, Leica and with Olympus as well, I simply don't need to fiddle with the colour - it's always fine (slightly different for each camera, but in a consistent and comprehensible manner).

All the best

Just this guy you know
Old 19th November 2010   #46
Super Duper

Quote:
I agree with you about mid range zooms . . .
I'm aware of it's history...
I had some anguish about which zoom to buy (the 16-45 f4 ...
Oh how I wish for a lens like the lovely 12-60 ...
I think I had all the current Pentax zooms in this range other than the 18-55, and a few older ones as well. The 16-45/4 is one of those tromboning zooms that gets wider as you zoom out with it, which while it makes sense optically makes it a handling annoyance (had the same issue with the Canon EF 24-75/2.8 L). It's at its most obtrusive when you want it to be wide for close-in shots. Both the 16-45 and 16-50 perform well, the latter is a little nicer.

But I sold the 16-45, then stopped using the 16-50 entirely and used the 21 and 43 exclusively.

I've shot with the ZD 12-60, the original ZD 14-54 I and the Leica 14-50 on FourThirds. I prefer the Leica 14-50 over the other two, but even that one I hardly use. I've done a couple of successful paid gigs entirely with it alone, however, so while I feel like selling it I probably ought to keep it in the kit.

For me, a much better "walk around" choice is a wide-normal f/1.8 to f/2.8 lens, in 35mm terms either a fast 35, 40, 45 or 50mm lens. A 40mm f/2 is near perfect.

Quote:
Always RAW Godfrey - never JPG. During the course of my Nikon days I used:
Bibble
Nikon Capture
Photoshop
C1
Lightroom
Aperture
To try and get what I wanted - I never managed to find a way of getting consistently good colours in evening light - sure, I could fiddle about with each photo individually, but who wants to do that! Changing presets would work in some situations and not in others.

I kept thinking it must be me - but looking back on those shots things haven't changed.
As I said to Amin above - With the Sony, Leica and with Olympus as well, I simply don't need to fiddle with the colour - it's always fine (slightly different for each camera, but in a consistent and comprehensible manner). ...
Sounds to me like you didn't find a camera calibration profile offered by any of them that satisfied you. Easy to fix with Camera Raw or Lightroom ... just get out either the Passport software and a color checker or use the DNG Profile Editor to create a profile that suits you. Install it, set it as the default along with the starting parameters that you like, and everything from that camera will have it applied on import to Lr or when first opened with CR.

I have a couple of custom profiles for the cameras I've got raw files from. They do various things, from color inversion and gamma correction to matching them all for accuracy.

Color is entirely a matter of how the raw data is processed. None of these cameras differ enough in the characteristics of their spectral sensitivity to override what the chroma interpolation of the raw processor does, in any normal lighting at least.
Old 19th November 2010   #47
Super Duper

Quote:
Color is entirely a matter of how the raw data is processed. None of these cameras differ enough in the characteristics of their spectral sensitivity to override what the chroma interpolation of the raw processor does, in any normal lighting at least.
HI Godfrey - you can talk all you like - I spent hundreds of hours over 5 years trying to get colour I was satisfied of out of those Nikons for landscape in the evening, I never succeeded. I'm certainly not going back there again.
Never said it wasn't my fault / taste though.

as for the lenses - if I'm going to use a prime as a walkabout (which I very often do) then it'll be a 50 'lux a 35 'lux or a 75 'cron on an M9 - no point in using the pentax for that - but sometimes it's nice to have a zoom - the results may not be as good technically, but that's not really the point

all the best
Jono

Just this guy you know
Old 19th November 2010   #48

So what happened with the A55 and 33? Just trying to keep up here LOL. The Pentax looks like a terrific camera from all I've read and seen but how does it fit in system wise for you with the A900/lenses or is that just not an issue?
Diane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010   #49
emr

Jono, I just ordered a K-5 and I blame you!

No, really I'm a Pentax user and was planning to get one any how. But it's interesting to see how good results you get with it and nice to hear somebody praise the brand that so few remember exists to begin with. Then again, being a camera whore (as you ironically called yourself), you'll probably have sold yours before I get mine.
emr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010   #50
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
So what happened with the A55 and 33? Just trying to keep up here LOL. The Pentax looks like a terrific camera from all I've read and seen but how does it fit in system wise for you with the A900/lenses or is that just not an issue?
HI Diane
Well, the A55 is definitely a keeper, together with the Zeiss / Sony 16-80 and my A900.

The K5 doesn't fit in anywhere . . . but the reason I've got it is that the E1 was really my favorite dSLR (only one I've ever bought twice )

The K5 is the obvious inheritor:
small (actually smaller than the E1)
weather sealed
very quiet shutter (quieter than the E1)

It also has a fine viewfinder, excellent high ISO, and those little prime lenses.

I actually fell for the K7 before, bought one, used it for a week and reluctantly took it back, because the sensor really didn't cut it. This time I think it does.

I'm not sure where it's going to - possibly a replacement for the Sony gear, possibly a dead end, but worth a try at least.

Just this guy you know