The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I've relaunched my website

jonoslack

HI Woody
It looks great to me - lots of splendid shots as well.

I used to do mine 'properly', but these days I find that iWeb does a good (if simple) job. . . . of course, you need to use a mac.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Next question: I'd like to set up a blog and feed it to my website - presumably I set up a menu item "blog" or something like that and identify the url of the location on my host where the blog is directed. Has anyone done this. I know that I could start a blog on Blogger and just point to the url for that, but that takes the user off of my site without a way of getting back on.

bcf

Very nice web site, Woody. And fantastic photos as well.

You might want to give a title to the pages: currently, all pages are named "Title page".

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Very nice web site, Woody. And fantastic photos as well.

You might want to give a title to the pages: currently, all pages are named "Title page".
Thanks - I've figured out how to fix it and I'll make the changes as I tighten the edits in the galleries.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Well I've now gone on to v. 2.0 of my website (it actually still has some beta aspects). The photo gallery format it too passive; there's no reason to revisit it so I've ditched it.

So my landing page is now a daily photo blog. Links to galleries are in the second column.

I installed wordpress on my web hosting site; found a theme that I liked; taught myself a little html - just enough to customize spacing, fonts and colors - by trial and error. I organized a file structure on my hosting site and upgraded to a dedicated IP address with an SSL certificate. All in all it took a couple of hours a day over a two week period. I'm delighted to have control over the look and content. Adding my daily posting is very easy, as is adding galleries - I'm still using TTG in Lightroom to generate the galleries. Links and other mechanics are mostly reliable at this point. I've decided to use fairly large images (this is about photographs) which means that it will load and run slowly if you don't have a fast connection.

I need to add some text on the ratings, why I'm doing a daily photo blog and who I am. I'm feeling my way along the issue of how do deal with images of people - for now I'm telling people that I'm taking pictures for my blog.

The point of the blog is that I post one picture every day. The "every day" relates to when the picture is taken, not when it is posted. This is a great personal development exercise for me because it forces me always to have a camera and to try to produce an image every day, good light or poor, healthy or sick. Some days I've had to post the best of a selection of dodgy images. Some days its been hard to choose among the keepers.

Sometimes I'll write a bit of narrative. I'm still finding my voice on this. I need to go back and do minor editing of old posts to sort out the "I" and "we" issue and to use a consistent tense.

Anyway . . . click on the link below and let me know what you think.

I had to use a redirect to make the blog my landing page. If you are behind a firewall you system may not permit redirects in which case you will enter through a gallery home page. This is a problem that I still have to solve.

Terry

Woody,
Really like the blog. Simple words but great shots. Will be interesting to follow along. I've often thought about the photo a day discipline. My favorite photo class was "roll a day" at ICP. Amazing the differences you see in your own personal photography when you both shoot and then have to edit yourself down to one shot a day.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody,
Really like the blog. Simple words but great shots. Will be interesting to follow along. I've often thought about the photo a day discipline. My favorite photo class was "roll a day" at ICP. Amazing the differences you see in your own personal photography when you both shoot and then have to edit yourself down to one shot a day.
I too took "roll a day" at ICP, taught by Harvey Stein, who's become a lifelong friend. I very much had that experience in mind when I embarked on this project.