The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

You know what we need?

JimBuchanan

Could someone enlighten me as to where to find these type lenses? Do the cine lenses offer image quality over the typical, say CV M lenses, for video or stills? And which format will cover the m4/3 frame? I've heard the "C" lenses have too small image circle.

I would like to take an example or 2 of the most popular ones and lathe fit it to a common adapter to see whats involved.

photoSmart42

Could someone enlighten me as to where to find these type lenses? Do the cine lenses offer image quality over the typical, say CV M lenses, for video or stills? And which format will cover the m4/3 frame? I've heard the "C" lenses have too small image circle.
These are lenses primarily used in industrial applications for machine vision, or for CCTV. There are quite a few manufacturers and suppliers out there for these. For the most part you want 1" lenses. Here's a link to some C-mount lens coverage: C-mount compatibility

I would like to take an example or 2 of the most popular ones and lathe fit it to a common adapter to see whats involved.
The issue with that is each lens is pretty much different in terms of their mount. I have a Cosmicar 12.5 and a Computar 12.5, and they have different machining requirements. On the other hand, there are a number of different C-mount adapters available for m4/3, each with their own clearances and machining requirements. I'm using a Kipon adapter, which is lower profile thus allowing me to machine less off the lens mount. Other adapters require more machining.

Short answer: there's a LOT of different combinations of lens mounts and available adapters, so it'll have to be a custom job for each lens.

I'm looking to buy a small hobby lathe to try and machine my mounts (and for other hobby stuff), but it'll be a while before I actually make the purchase to try it (gave up buying photo gear for Lent...).

JimBuchanan

Thank You, for the C-mount reference.

I'm still trying to understand what the deal is on cine lenses with m4/3 with the high prices and all. Does a cine lens take better video than a still photography lens?

photoSmart42

Thank You, for the C-mount reference.

I'm still trying to understand what the deal is on cine lenses with m4/3 with the high prices and all. Does a cine lens take better video than a still photography lens?
The meaning of 'better' in photography and video is definitely in the eye of the beholder. To be sure, older lenses (cine or otherwise) have their own special character, which gives pictures or video a different look than today's ultra-sharp lenses. That drives the pricing, as does the collectible and rare nature of some of these lenses, many of which are more than 50 years old.

M

maxmorrison

Just get a Cosmicar 12.5 f1.4. Tomorrow filing time ^_*
Hopefully I will post photo about the whole process and the modded lens.

M

maxmorrison

Look forward to seeing that - I'm half way through, it just needs a lot of patience :cussing:

Keith
Yes a LOT of patience...
Took one hour to file hard and another hour trying to fine tune the job.
But is worth the pain, I finally got the infinity focus :thumbs:

Here some pics, have a good Sunday (here is Snowing...)

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Yes a LOT of patience...
Took one hour to file hard and another hour trying to fine tune the job.
But is worth the pain, I finally got the infinity focus :thumbs:

Here some pics, have a good Sunday (here is Snowing...)
Well done, Max :salute:

Keith