The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

slideshows in Aperture 3

kevinparis

yesterday i was out and shot 400 plus shots at the Paris marathon. After weeding out the bad shots i still had more shots than i would want to throw up on Flickr at once, so i thought i would give the new slide show features in Aperture 3 a go

Actually was pretty impressed... though there are some rough edges, but defiantely worth exploring

the first results are here

http://facefullofbees.com/journal/2010/4/12/paris-marathon-2010.html

or here if you are Flash limited

http://vimeo.com/10852228

It was very quick and easy - select the photos, make a slideshow, choose a theme, add some music and the duration is adjusted automatically. Then you can fine tune order and duration. Double click a shot and make adjustments.. all very fluid.

Someone has already commented on my use of unlicensed music....and that will always be an issue...

Only big downside is the export options that seemed a little more techy than you would find in iPhoto

If you are on a the Mac platform, Keynote is another great tool for digital presentation - great visual quality and very powerful builds and transitions

K

Last edited:

LJL

For those not wishing to trample on the usage rights of music artists, there are sources for "royalty free" music to use:

www.Triplescoopmusic.com
www.Freeplaymusic.com
www.Truetoneproductions.com
www.Musicbakery.com
www.Brokenjoeyrecords.com
www.Earcandydigitals.com

They will never be the popular and catchy tunes we like to pull from our collections and libraries, but they will keep you "legal" for slideshow usage or other displays that are not private use only. Not trying to be a "prude" on any of this....just offering some options for folks to look into if they need it, such as sales of slideshows to others, use on your Web site for galleries, and stuff like that.

LJ

kevinparis

If you are on a Mac, you will find hidden within the various iLife applications a selection of music beds.

Indeed with Garageband you could create you own music from loops, or there are MIDI files available for purchase or download that you can orchestrate yourself - Though I don't know whether the MIDI file is regarded as a performance and whether reassigning the instruments and outputting a audio file constitutes a new performance or an infringement. Regardless if you work with classic piano pieces that are in the public domain you should be safe.
Move up to Final Cut Studio, and you will find even more music beds and sound effects hidden within Soundtrack. These are touted as being royalty free - and are of a very good quality.

K

jonoslack

Great stuff Kevin
I really enjoyed that (9.00 am indeed!). Plenty of water bottles around!
all the best

kevinparis

thanks... the combination of flying water bottles and discarded banana skins made life interesting - and then there was the giant squirrel that appeared behind me at one point!!!

K

kevinparis

It was at the roadside encouraging the runners... and promoting a bank... because of course, when you have run 35km and still have another 10 or so to go your banking requirements are at the top of your mind, and a giant squirrel is just the thing to make you move all your accounts right away :)

K

fotografz

For those not wishing to trample on the usage rights of music artists, there are sources for "royalty free" music to use:

www.Triplescoopmusic.com
www.Freeplaymusic.com
www.Truetoneproductions.com
www.Musicbakery.com
www.Brokenjoeyrecords.com
www.Earcandydigitals.com

They will never be the popular and catchy tunes we like to pull from our collections and libraries, but they will keep you "legal" for slideshow usage or other displays that are not private use only. Not trying to be a "prude" on any of this....just offering some options for folks to look into if they need it, such as sales of slideshows to others, use on your Web site for galleries, and stuff like that.

LJ
It should be noted that these sites are "Royalty Free" libraries, but they are NOT free. You still have to pay for usage. Basically they are the equivalent of "Stock Photography."

-Marc

fotografz

"Someone has already commented on my use of unlicensed music....and that will always be an issue..."

K
Nice pictures, but I wonder what the "issue" is about the music?

It is music created, owned and managed by someone else. The "issue" is unauthorized use of it.

Yes, we can blow it off as a little thing, some private use made public on the internet. The question IS, would the creative project be less without it?
That you chose it rather than purchase a royalty free piece of music answers that question I think. Like most videos, turn off the music and the whole presentation is lessened.

Where do we draw the line? Is it okay if I grab a stock photo and remove the watermark for purposes of some demo?

Having just had my images plagiarized by another photographer, I had this whole issue brought home in an ugly way. Not really a big deal, except for the principle of the thing ... or lack of principle I should say.

While I suggest iTunes music for client slideshows, I have them purchase the music for themselves and their private use. I leave it up to them.

Actually, this site could be at risk for allowing use of copyright material. Intellectual Property Lawyers go after the ones they think have the money. Trust me on this ... been there done that.

-Marc

Sorry if I sound mad about this stuff, but we are creatives ourselves and should protect artistic rights not erode them.

kevinparis

Actually if you are being pendantic I probably shouldn't be showing any of the pictures at all - as it was rather difficult to get model releases from them.

If the administrators of the site feel I am endangering the forum by my actions then fine - i will remove all references and probably all further contributions to the forum. Don't want to do that.

I respect you pointing out the legalities of what I have done - but that issue is between me and Motown

It was a bit of fun... nobody was hurt....
K

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice pictures, but I wonder what the "issue" is about the music?

It is music created, owned and managed by someone else. The "issue" is unauthorized use of it.

Yes, we can blow it off as a little thing, some private use made public on the internet. The question IS, would the creative project be less without it?
That you chose it rather than purchase a royalty free piece of music answers that question I think. Like most videos, turn off the music and the whole presentation is lessened.

Where do we draw the line? Is it okay if I grab a stock photo and remove the watermark for purposes of some demo?

Having just had my images plagiarized by another photographer, I had this whole issue brought home in an ugly way. Not really a big deal, except for the principle of the thing ... or lack of principle I should say.

While I suggest iTunes music for client slideshows, I have them purchase the music for themselves and their private use. I leave it up to them.

Actually, this site could be at risk for allowing use of copyright material. Intellectual Property Lawyers go after the ones they think have the money. Trust me on this ... been there done that.

-Marc

Sorry if I sound mad about this stuff, but we are creatives ourselves and should protect artistic rights not erode them.

Well I have no money trust me on this one. I spent 10k just in medical already this year and a long year too go. Bottom line we have no control or maybe better said no idea if it is a copyright infringement. Unless it is completely obvious this goes for all sites.

LJL

Wow....let's all try to chill out a bit....

Kevin, first off, I already said that I liked the slideshow and music, so my comments are more about the legal and ethical responsibilities any of us may face. That is all. One makes their own call there, and if the music police want to hunt you down, they will/might, but chances are slim. As for the use of the images....technically, you can claim they are "editorial", taken on a public venue, and therefore do not require model releases. Now, if you were "hawking" say the water bottle company, or something, that would be a different story. But you do not appear to be doing so, so not to fret that detail ;-)

Marc, never said they were "free", and yes, one does have to pay for use of the tunes, but then you incur no further issues if properly used and distributed. I feel for what you have gone through, as I have gone through similar things with others using my images, so I feel both the pain and the respect.

Guy, I doubt that you and Jack have much to worry about. You are not posting Kevin's slideshow on your site, but leaving it up to others for the links, which you are not responsible for policing, unless you choose so for the site's rep.

Really did not want this to become such a testy legal issues thing. Just seems like a good place in the forum to apprise folks of some of the issues that they could confront as they go about being creative with displaying their works, especially with slideshows that may be used or sold to others. That was all. Not wanting to see folks coming under fire from somebody over usage rights when all they wanted to do is have some fun and share with others. Things may start out as purely personal use only creations, but once they get onto the Internet, you really lose control of things.....but maybe not the responsibility for their creations to start.

Time for another cup of coffee......hope folks are not bummed by any of this discussion, as it might be important to those that may not know as much about usage. Again, I personally think the images with that particular track of music look great, and I am looking forward to other creative things from Aperture use, including embedded video clips. Very cool tools for sure.

LJ

kevinparis

well said LJ

The points raised are all valid and worth discussing. I was just a little upset over the tone in which my misdeeds were addressed

I prize artistic freedom over a 'shouldn't do that it might get you in trouble' attitude

K

cam

can you elaborate? what sort of slideshows do you do for them? what is the extent of their "private" use? where are the slideshows then seen/viewed/shared?

fotografz

can you elaborate? what sort of slideshows do you do for them? what is the extent of their "private" use? where are the slideshows then seen/viewed/shared?
I create slide shows in iPhoto made up strictly of my images shot at a wedding. iTunes allows usage of music that is paid for and downloaded from the iTunes store. Private usage only ... like on your computer, or on your iPhone, or iPod. So, I create the slide show, and give it to the client, and they can add the music in iPhoto, or any other slide editing program they may have. Sharing is up to them, and would be no different then if they put their iPod on a music dock and 50 people heard it. They aren't enhancing their creative product with someone else's creative product.

I currently do not have music on my website because I haven't found anything that's Royality Free that's better than nothing. I'd love to use a pop piece, but refuse to rip-off anyone. I will probably have a piece composed by a song writer/musician friend and pay him for it, or barter photos in return.

I'm surprised that on a creative site like this that a rights issue is fluffed off. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to it due to recently being ripped off myself.

Let's reverse the situation ... say I am a composer/musician and I create a cool piece ... then steal a movie or a bunch of images to illustrate it ... maybe some of your images ...

Marc

cam

Marc,

i was not trying to be rude or fluff it off... i have seen many video slide shows of weddings on the web, obviously shot by a professional like yourself. the music on them is not royalty free, even as i'm sure the tunes were purchased properly through iTunes or the like.

what i was questioning was your throwaway line, intimating that what the client did with it was out of your hands (yet you are still complicit if they share it on the web, non?) while trashing somebody else...

i was involved with the audio industry for years and do take the subject seriously. however, i think the industry is far behind the times in regards to rights management. hopefully, hopefully, this will change in the not too distant future.

if there was an affordable alternative to use music for, essentially, personal sharing via the web (baby pics, wedding pics, etc.), i'm sure people would be more than happy to fork over the dough... professional sites that are selling something, be it services or wares, would be in another bracket, but still.

that is the crux of the matter, IMO. record companies were dragged kicking and screaming, selling individual songs via the web (come on, how many of us remember buying an entire album just because we loved one song??? they counted on that!). well, now it's time for somebody, anybody, to try and make them see the light and allow an affordable rights package for something other than commercial use instead of bashing their heads into walls, doling out thousands of dollars to catch the "thieves."

kevinparis

Let's reverse the situation ... say I am a composer/musician and I create a cool piece ... then steal a movie or a bunch of images to illustrate it ... maybe some of your images ...

Marc
Firstly i would be pleased that they thought my images worthy of stealing!

Secondly I would then look at the context in which they were being used - if it was a struggling fellow artist I would probably let it go, maybe ask for a free CD or a t-shirt at most or a credit on their website.

If someone was using it for obvious commercial gain, or using it for something that fundamentally disagreed with politically or morally, then i would approach them to sort something out, again depending on the scale of things I might go legal.

After all the copyright of the image is still with me - I can always prove that - Its my decision whether I wish to defend that. Just as its Motowns decision on whether to pursue me or not.

Maybe its a naive attitude - but its one i'd rather live by

K

jonoslack

After all the copyright of the image is still with me - I can always prove that - Its my decision whether I wish to defend that. Just as its Motowns decision on whether to pursue me or not.

Maybe its a naive attitude - but its one i'd rather live by

K
HI Kevin
I rather agree with you - which is why I don't protect my images very carefully, and when they get used (and i find out), then I generally just ask people to make a link . . . I've never found anyone selling them though.

I do pay for my music and film though, because I think it's the right thing to do.

kevinparis

Absolutely agree on the paying for music - its the usage rights of the music that has got out of step with the realities of the internet world - and thats not my problem to fix but rather for the music companies to address - maybe webhosting sites should be like bars and restaurants and pay a fee to the publishers and pass the cost onto their users.

the solution has to be expansive not restrictive.

I defy anyone to claim they have never in their life broken copyright law... remember taping off of the radio, or taping your mates Deep Purple EP, or photocopying a page from a book...

K

Arjuna

I think that this touches on the principle of 'fair use'. My understanding is that when you purchase some music (or video or picture), i.e. a reproduction of the music, that you are legally entitled to use if 'fairly'. One of the principle characteristics of fair use is that you are not permitted to use it for any commercial purpose. It does mean that you can do more with it than just listen to it privately. It permits you to make a back-up copy, for example. In the days of vinyl and cassettes, the making of a 'mix-tape' to share with your friends was an example of fair use. The issue in the digital age is the ease of making virtually perfect copies, and the ease of distributing them. I don't think that anyone would have objected if Kevin had shown the musical slide-show to friends - in person, live on his computer. If he had burnt it to disc, and mailed it to some number of friends, well, really a way of sharing with distant friends. When he uses the internet to share it with 177 'friends' ... in my view, still no commercial intent, but it shows how things are quantitatively different in the age of digital media.