The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Xenon 25mm 0.95 cctv

wiregen

Wiregen...that looks like the navitar variant... I'll take sum pics of mine...with instructions for modification* to fit. Is your camera a G1/Gh1 or a GF1.

* I assume no responsibility if you damage your own lens after reading this post :)
I cant wait, thanks.

What viveck means is this lens distorts like spherical wise. (almost like fisheye but not so much)

Mustache distortion? No clue. lol

Jonas

Mustache distortion? No clue. lol
"Mustache" distortion is what you get when a lens distort the image to different degrees over the image circle. In practise you can see it as a wavy horizon. This isn't very unusual and also some highly regarded WA lenses suffer from this, like the Zeiss C/Y 21/2.8 or the Olympus OM 20/2. It can be corrected in software.

/Jonas

V

Vivek

Simple barrel distortion- looks obvious but easy to correct.

Mustache (wavy) distortion- does not look that obvious and difficult (if not impossible) to correct.

R

raydeng

Hm, I seem to have this lens as well. And I thought it was a Senko too!

I'm wondering if it's a true 0.95 though. Barring the possibility of dust, I did a simple test of shooting the same scene with this lens and my Pentax/Cosmicar 25mm 1.4.

The Pentax shot the scene at 1/20th of a second. The Senko (at 0.95) shot it at 1/30th. And there was a massive white balance difference (the Pentax/Comiscar was a lot warmer), as well as a ton of barrel distortion from the Senko.

If the math holds true, that's only half a stop. It should be *over* a stop, yes?

Y.B.Hudson III

raydeng... what metering mode was your camera in? Because of the vignetting you need to use the spot meter if you are comparing readings.

my quick test, spot metering mode... conpewtar 1.3= 100; modified nav 0.95=200

................. center weighted mode... conpewtar 1.3= 100; modified nav 0.95=160

I rest my case...

Last edited:

Y.B.Hudson III

nav 0.95 modified to fit RJ adapter...

I will post how to pics tonite. File down the focus ring, and remove the rear element retainer ring, then cement rear element in place.

Hudson :thumbs:

Last edited:

wiregen

I modified mine. Mine doesn't seem to go to infinity. But I can focus close to infinity.

I like how the lens draws bokeh, I say it's almost like a noctilux.

Senko 50 .95 "pop art" filter on the ep-2

Leica M8 with Noctilux DNG converted

Same "pop art filter" e-p2 with senko lens

V

Vivek

wiregan, That is not a Senko but a Navitar. Mine came with the original cardboard box and the numbers correspond to Navitar's numbers.

zcream

Hi Hudson. Just wondering if you would mind posting the Navitar 25mm .95 how to ? I am really thinking of getting them as they seem to offer minimal vignette on 16:9 video crop.

zcream

I bought 5 lenses from Rudi. 3 Navitar 25mm f0.95 and 2x 50mm 0.95. Excellent fellow. Now I have to figure out how to mod the lens or adapters to make infinity focus work.

paparazzi666

hi zcream, i saw your tutorial on sanding down the focus ring of the 25mm navitar. its quite useful. but you mentioned it did not reach infinity focus. how far will it focus? if it reaches close to infinity then it might work for portrait use which is what I am looking for. Did you modify the 50mm as well? does that reach infinity?