The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Toys I played with at PMA

Terry

Today at PMA I spent a fair amount of time at the Leica booth. I was less interests in the S2 but more interested in new M lenses and goodies.
I shot a bit with the new 24 lux, the new 18 and the new Nocti. I'm in lust over the 24 lux. I didn't find it too big and heavy. It didn't seem hard to get good focus wide open yum! I will post later. I think Guy brought a laptop. The 18 is a great size and again I'm a bit in lust. The Nocti I put on the G1 just to give evryone a heart attack for a zillion dollar lens on my litttle blue thingy. Wow, great to focus on that camera. Again I will post pics later.

I met Tim Isaacs in the flesh and saw all his goodies. The magnifiers, viewfinder cups and thumbs up all looked great. I did manage to score his "boop" shutter release. I think others liked the convex "beep" better. Thanks Tim!

Finally, from Leica Land, the new flash looks huge but it is pretty darn light. Felt lighter than my Nikon SB800.

Overall the show was not that crowded. It was the last day but it still didn't have a "buzz". Not a lot of interesting new cameras to want to look at. Played a bit with the new Oly 620. The Sony A900 was sweet to operate although I can see why people would love the ergonomic grip I think I would need to exercise one of my fingers more (where there is an indetation for comfort it didn't quite feel right.

Now I need a drink to figure out if I cut back lenses ( save no money) and swap a 28 cron and 21 elmarit for a 24 lux. Which you know would never end up cost neutral as I would want the 18!!!!!!!

I'm going to post some Panasonic GH1 comments in the other forum.

Last edited:

robmac

Yeah, the 24 Lux almost makes me want to out and buy an M8. Man, a sharp as hell 24mm F1.4 lens... truly an object worthy of lust.

Terry

Yeah, the 24 Lux almost makes me want to out and buy an M8. Man, a sharp as hell 24mm F1.4 lens... truly an object worthy of lust.
I'm sitting with Guy. He says yes buy an M8 plus that lens. The filter setup is quite nice how it slots into the shade. You woulda thought for $6000 they would throw in the filter. Nope.

Guy will post his thoughts later.

Forgot to mention the Safari edition. Actually pretty cool looking.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hello Terry, thanks for the info but I wasn't listening when you said the 24 Lux and 18 are yummy - must be real yummy if it makes you even think about giving up the 28.

Lloyd

Great!! Thanks for posting them. That 24 lux looks oh oh, so so SWEET!!! Definitely on the "someday" list.

I'm particularly impressed with the Nocti shots, however. Was that wide open?

Terry

Hi Lloyd,

Guy took the three M8 Nocti shots. I thought they were all wide open. My shot of Guy from the G1 was not. It was around f2.8. Here is one wide open look at the difference in his nose. I was focusing on the outside of his right eye (yes Guy knows he is a good model for trying to focus testing lenses). I was pretty much as close as I could get. Guy was a bit further back and we also had different sensor sizes.

View attachment 13191

Lloyd

The difference is interesting. I think I prefer the results at 2.8 for a portrait... in the wide open version Guy's ear looks like it belongs to someone behind him, and his nose is a little powdery. Very impressive sharpness with that lens, however. Thanks again for posting these. Most interesting.

Last edited:

Terry

Lloyd that Guy not Jack....Also, Guy's shots of the woman were all wide open but he was definitely further away from the subject not just the difference in the field of view from the different sensor sizes. I was purposely at the closest focusing distance.

Lloyd

Doh!!! Of course it's Guy... my bad.

I am impressed with those of the woman wide open. Hmmm... pretty steep price of admission... but, maybe someday.;)

Thanks again.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: still need a plastic surgeon though. Those crusty age lines are great test subjects, too bad I actually have to live with them:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Terry

What do you think of the "bokeh" on the new Noctilux. On film the Noctilux was the only way to shoot some available light/night situations. With digital its more about creatively using selective focus and using the "glow" and smooth bokeh to create a unique look. The new Noctilux looks like a faster version of the 50 1.4 asph .

The 24 1.4 has the look of the 35 lux ...does this seem right?

Not trying to knock either lens but at this level of expenditure..understanding the signature is as important as the obvious exceptional image quality.

Roger

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Roger I was actually pretty impressed at the bokeh of the Nocti and you may know i was not a big fan of the older style. I hated that weird look sometimes. For some reason this looks smoother but obviously we where limited to the showroom floor. Terry may have a couple shots on the card I took with some distance in there that maybe she can post even though just some quickies.

Now the 24mm i was pretty impressed by and your right looks like a 35 lux bokeh. This is a sweetie of a lens. I really liked what was going on with the background and the 3d separation between subject and background . Those shots Terry took you can see it pretty clearly the nice falloff. Frankly I would like to test the new Nocti and the 24mm more

Terry

Now the 18mm - Look for David Farkas' posts possibly on his blog for shots with the 18 and 24. I know he had them on loan for the night from Leica and he had some great shots with both lenses.

View attachment 13202

Also the 24 at a distance - this shot is really nothing but am including it so you can see the very nice rendering of the Leica brochures in the front right corner that are gently out of focus. Again David took some close range "brick wall" shots with the lens that were incredibly distortion free.

View attachment 13203

Here is the link to David's blog with WAY better pictures and great information on the lenses.

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/