The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Resetting file numbering

harmsr

Workshop Member
Ok - I have been working on processing the shots from Jamaica and just noticed that all of my files now start out as L999xxxx.dng, since the camera came back from Leica.

Do you guys remember how to change the file numbering system?

Thanks,

Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You can reset file numbering and it should go back to 0...

However, you can also set it to start at another number by:

1) Set camera numbering to continuous
2) Format a card.
3) Stick card in your card reader and re-number the FOLDER that holds the images using your computer. Say to Lx00.
4) Put that card back in your camera and take a picture.
5) View the image with info and the picture should be numbered Lx000001.dng
6) Re-format all of your cards in the camera immediately so they wili have the new folder number.

Note: I change the value of x for my different M8's so I can distinguish the images by filename later. Just DON'T swap cards between the cameras without formatting or you will mess up the file numbering!

Cheers,

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Personally I have adjusted the continuous file numbering as well so that it is now precisely identical with the internal hex shutter count, including the ~100 test shots from the factory.
I did it this way.

1) Format a card in the camera.
2) Set camera numbering to Standard and then shut off the camera.
3) Turn on the camera again and take a picture which should automatically be named L1000001.DNG if everything works so far.
4) View the JPG version of this latest capture with either "IExif" or "KUSO" or a similar free exif reader. Field name is Image Unique ID, and the content is a hex number with a lot of needless zeros in front. Free exif viewers for Windows:
http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/
http://www.photo-freeware.net/kuso-exif-viewer.php
5) Translate the shutter count from hex to decimal here:
http://www.statman.info/conversions/hexadecimal.html
6) Stick the card in your card reader and re-number the image file according to the decimal shutter count using your computer, e.g. L1009991.DNG in this case story.
7) Put the card back in your camera, still with the renumbered file on the card, and set the camera numbering to Continuous. Shut off the camera.
8) Turn on the camera again and take a picture and the camera should now count up from the latest file on the card, i.e. next image number = L1009992.DNG in our case story.
9) Re-format all of your cards in the camera to empty them for old informations.

At least this worked on my M8. Mac users will have to tell you which exif viewer to use if you are a Mac user.

Btw my own black M8 from 10. oct. 2007 has a total shutter count of only 765 actuations as per today and I intend to soon put it up for sale for 3,500 Euro to fund the next DSLR. It came with a defect battery and / or battery charger, both have been replaced by Leica. The focus was off as well. It was adjusted in Solms but when it came back the rangefinder patch had been put out of vertical alignment. So off it went to Solms for the second time. I have just received it back and now finally everything works perfectly. If you are within Europe and need an extra body it might make sense to get this one where all problems have been sorted out. Send me an e-mail if interested.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had to reset BOTH my camera's in Moab they both turned over at 10000 again. What I did was formatted both cards stuck them in the Mac and renamed the card L101 and L102 than put them in the camera took some shots and the reset to L1010001 and L1020001. At least this is what i remember , Jack was standing next to me when I had to try something in the field

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You can reset file numbering and it should go back to 0...

However, you can also set it to start at another number by:

1) Set camera numbering to continuous
2) Format a card.
3) Stick card in your card reader and re-number the FOLDER that holds the images using your computer. Say to Lx00.
4) Put that card back in your camera and take a picture.
5) View the image with info and the picture should be numbered Lx000001.dng
6) Re-format all of your cards in the camera immediately so they wili have the new folder number.

Note: I change the value of x for my different M8's so I can distinguish the images by filename later. Just DON'T swap cards between the cameras without formatting or you will mess up the file numbering!

Cheers,
Jack I tried this on both my M8s and it didn t work until I set the camera to standard and fired off a shot . After that I followed your procedure and it worked.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I note that when the shutter was replaced on one of my cameras, its unique image number was reset to zero.
-bob