The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Version 5 Released

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
"Live Preview is now available for both Mac and Windows and comes with improved performance."

TY Phase One

robertwright

this whole EIP thing is interesting, I have been having conversations with photographers who are working with editorial clients who are still delivering film, but the magazines are starting to go over to digital, and some are requesting RAW files from them, and since they are at the forefront they are a little loathe to establish this as the norm.

In catalogue it is almost the norm to request RAWS.

The reason the magazines request this is that they have experienced a history of getting bad digital from the early adopters; it may surprise some on this list to find out that many of the top magazines in interior, fashion, food, etc still "prefer" film and this is one of the reasons. Another reason is that the editors are not equipped to plow through dozens of hi res files, and also are looking at jpeg previews on old imacs in need of an upgrade, not calibrated, in flood lit offices. So of course the digital looks like crap next to the c-prints.

Finally a lot of photographers in editorial at least have still not made the switch, so when they do, they are ill equipped to educate their editors, who themselves have no clue. So what happens is the art department starts asking for RAWS and the photographer loses control over the final image.

I understand why C1 has EIP-it suits high volume fashion-catalogue work-so much retouching is being brought in house, plus you have to take a shoot and repurpose it for print, web, etc. very quickly. But it does not suit a lot of other photographers who like to keep things in their shop, bill the capture, conversion and retouching, and maintain control over the final image.

I point this out because C1 is the standard in studio and location capture, many of the editors, if they know nothing at all, know the words "Capture One", and you say "Lightroom" to them and they think you are playing with toys. I think we should all be very aware of workflow issues as they are compensation and control issues too-and EIP is one potential on a slippery slope down towards where photographers are "capture operators" that corporations hire out to do their wet work.:D

btw, I do like the conversions and color of C1 actually.

etrigan63

Got it installed on my Mac Pro. Here is a little test shot processed in CO5 from my D700. Click on the shot for the full sized image. Used default settings for D700 plus added my watermark and a vignette mask. Lightning quick conversions on my 8-core machine.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Says I need to update from the download but download link leads nowhere? I hope this resolves in the next few days.

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is the installation protocol I had to go through to get it loaded -- super PITA, but I got there. I suspect those of us with really old ver 3.x keys plus upgrades need to go through this, while more recent keys may not:

1) Deactivate your license on the PhaseOne site in your user profile for C1 Pro -- make sure you are choosing your C1 PRO license and not one of the Lite or DB versions you may have activated.

1a) NOTE: I would take the time here to check your email and password data to make sure it's all current and what you want to be using going forward, you'll see why in step 4.

2) Now I could actually get to the DL server for ver 5, and download it. Start the DL.

3) While it's DL-ing, clean EVERY C1 folder off from: (Mac) Root>Applications, Root>Library>App Support, User>Library>App Support, User>Library>Prefs. I saved my Styles off to the side and left my Session folders in with my images. Do similar with PC.

4) Now load the program in your app folder, agree to the EULA, etc. Next your license key activation pops up. Here I could NOT use the automatic registration, even though the key matched. I needed to click the "Use New Key" icon, select C1 Pro, and hit enter. The next screen asked for my key, so I manually inserted my existing key. Next it asks for my registration email, then -- and here is the tricky part -- I had to use the "Login To Get User Profile" which asks for your account password. I entered that, let it do it's thing and it loads my user profile form the site -- I suspect it is regenerating a complete, new current user profile for me and why I need to do this. NOW I click "activate" and viola, I got a valid C1 installation.

5) Finally, I placed the Styles back in the styles folder manually and they worked, but the ver 4 and Beta v5 sessions still get "migrated to the new v5 Pro, so be sure you run them clean.

Resetting all my menu and app prefs now, what another PITA, BUT many of the menu items have been altered slightly even from the beta, so my guess is it is best to do this now to avoid issues later...

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had to do the same. Caveat though i had no activations left since I loaded over the years on top of new hard drives so do check your account first. You may have to deactivate in your license management area on the Phase site first to go ahead and upgrade to version 5.

BTW many ways to delete on your Mac any old version . I used AppCleaner and than went to my users folder in pictures and deleted the capture one folder but like Jack mentioned it is in several places on your computer. So clean yourself out first and download and proceed.

Dale Allyn

What a ridiculous upgrade process. It's really too bad that such an powerful app. has such a terrible upgrade process with each new full version. P1 really needs to put a team on fixing just this portion of the application. Sure, we can do it, but users should not be put this such garbage.

Christopher

Well I don't no, perhaps it's on macs, I just installed 5.0 and activated it. No need to uninstall c1 4 or do any of the a both. Didn't have time to test much, but looks stable to me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree Dale, but suspect this is only required for those of us with old, ver 3.x licenses to utilize the remaining updates. It seems like version 4 users don't have to go through this...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I don't no, perhaps it's on macs, I just installed 5.0 and activated it. No need to uninstall c1 4 or do any of the a both. Didn't have time to test much, but looks stable to me.
Most likely you are coming from version 4. something. Which is what we expect from the Version 4 folks. Just us old dogs with 3 version may run into this.

Dale Allyn

I agree Dale, but suspect this is only required for those of us with old, ver 3.x licenses to utilize the remaining updates. It seems like version 4 users don't have to go through this...
I have v3.7x on my machine, but don't use it, so I'll remove that for sure. It may not be a problem in reality thought, as it's just the DB version.

Still, I just don't think that users should ever be put through this type of thing on commercial software, especially pricey stuff like C1. Just a pet peeve of mine.

thomas

I have an old V3 Key (3.4 as far as I remember) and am running a Mac as well. I've downloaded the installer and (after clearing older settings etc. for a clean reinstall) just installed V5. No trouble at all. Just a funny message that there is a new update waiting. I've set the preferences to "never" search for upadtes and everything works fine since then.

R

RHP

Has anyone tried "live preview" with P65+ of P40+ ?
Not working for me, it's greyed out with my P65.

J

jjlphoto

I luv this forum. I get to ask really dumb questions and not get my head ripped off :D

This whole idea with deactivation, reactivation, etc? I currently use COPro v3.7.8. As soon as I get Snow Leopard installed, I am going to download COv5. I deactivate my current older version on the PhaseOne site first, download the newer one, install it, and activate it on my machine as Jack thoroughly outlined. Is this to insure I am only using one version at a time?

Also, I thought the license allowed me to have it installed on several of my own machines, but never using it on more than two machines at the same time.

thomas

I luv this forum. I get to ask really dumb questions and not get my head ripped off :D

This whole idea with deactivation, reactivation, etc? I currently use COPro v3.7.8. As soon as I get Snow Leopard installed, I am going to download COv5. I deactivate my current older version on the PhaseOne site first, download the newer one, install it, and activate it on my machine as Jack thoroughly outlined. Is this to insure I am only using one version at a time?

Also, I thought the license allowed me to have it installed on several of my own machines, but never using it on more than two machines at the same time.
If you have a V3 on your comptuer that's not an issue at all. Even with V4 it's not an issue as long as you rename the apps. C1 V4 and C1 V5 are simply named "Capture One". So an installation of V5 would overwrite/replace V4 (maybe this is the reason for the trouble mentioned above). But if you rename (V4-) "Capture One" to "Capture One 4" the V5 version will not overwrite V4. I am currently running V3.7.8, V4.8.3 and V5.0 on the same machine, the same drive/folder and the same OS. No trouble at all.

thomas

The dust/spot removal doesn't work. P1 support told me it was removed in the final release... though the tool is present.
A real pitty, it worked really great in the Beta, but apparently we have to wait for a fix.