The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 (Image Thread)

Amin

Like others here, I've used many normal lenses over the years. With the Lumix 20/1.7, Panasonic has produced a lens worthy of its own image thread. So lets see what everyone is doing with their Pana 20 ;).

Last edited:

Diane B

Here are 2 recent ones with the GF1--both at f/1.8 rather than 1.7

and a rather wierd one, but fun (I thought) with GF1 at aquarium.

Amin

Diane, those are both great! My son Philip and I both like the goldfish photo - very cool!

Amin

One of mine with the G1 and 20/1.7 at f/1.7:

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

Diane,
Both shots are nice but there is something fun about the fish.

Amin,
The expressions of your sons a year later haven't changed one bit and their personalities still shine right through.

I will add some more when I get my technology hooked up. Been a bit lazy this week and still working off a laptop and not my regular computer setup (just moved).

Here are two B&W snaps from dinner in Oregon that I posted before. Posting them again because I think the 20mm fast lens is the perfect "social snap" lens when out to dinner. Obviously here I used the flash. As much as I like the "fast" aspect of the lens I was happy with the flash shots that I got as well on the GF1 (no fiddling around just popped it up).

Amin

Terry, those look great; remarkably so for direct on-camera flash! Maybe the lens speed allowed the camera to use a less brutal flash pulse. Was this in-camera JPEG, or did you do the B&W conversion afterwards?

Terry

These are direct jpegs untouched. I set C1 on the GF1 for RAW+jpeg and use dynamic B&W with the flash set slow synch and to 2nd curtain. They were shot wide open at ISO 100, Aperture priority at 1/30 on the shutter and I think it was successful at getting the needed background detail. The camera "done" good! :thumbs:

Diane B

Diane,
Both shots are nice but there is something fun about the fish.

Amin,
The expressions of your sons a year later haven't changed one bit and their personalities still shine right through.

I will add some more when I get my technology hooked up. Been a bit lazy this week and still working off a laptop and not my regular computer setup (just moved).

Here are two B&W snaps from dinner in Oregon that I posted before. Posting them again because I think the 20mm fast lens is the perfect "social snap" lens when out to dinner. Obviously here I used the flash. As much as I like the "fast" aspect of the lens I was happy with the flash shots that I got as well on the GF1 (no fiddling around just popped it up).
Thanks--aquarium due to bad weather LOL--and had fun there with the 20 and FD 50--(and its 'weird' not wierd). I tried video with the 20 also--worked out fairly well, though I think the 14-45 is a better choice--or better yet, MF lenses.

Amin--those are really cute boys--and I like the composition.

Terry--I don't remember if I remarked on those shots or not, but I really like the flash/monos combo.

jonoslack

Like others here, I've used many normal lenses over the years. With the Lumix 20/1.7, Panasonic has produced a lens worthy of its own image thread. So lets see what everyone is doing with their Pana 20 ;).
First of all Amin, can I say that it's . . . . .

Wonderful to have you back

I've only had this lens for 24 hours, and most of those were either at work or dark . . . and I've also been playing with the 45 macro.

anyway, here's a shot from this afternoon:
taken with the pen

Joan

Well, I've only had it out for one morning so far doing some quick snaps, but I believe this is my favorite lens ever!

Trying to learn to do B&W conversions and not terribly successful yet, but I kind of liked this snap of men chatting on the street corner for some reason.

Great shots, all. Amin, your boys are So darned cute, LOVE that one!

Amin

Thanks Diane, Joan, and Jono!

Jono, after being away for a while, I felt awkward about returning, so thanks for the kind (not to mention large and red) welcome back :eek: :).

slau

I have never been a wide angle shooter myself. Since I got the 20f1.7 couple weeks ago, I have been out with the lens a few times and had to educate myself of the 'foot zooming' technique and how to see with a wide angle lens. So far, it is all positive about this tiny lens which works very well with either my G1 or GH1.

A few shots from two days ago with the 20f1.7 lens, and I was shooting GH1 with Canon 1DMk3 side-by-side:

This lens is one of the reasons why I am using MFT system when I still own lots of bigger and heavier cameras/lenses. It always makes me wonder why would one uses 'big' lenses on the MFT bodies which seem to defect the whole purpose. But, I can definitely appreciate having the option to use my old favorite lenses again.

Amin

These are direct jpegs untouched. I set C1 on the GF1 for RAW+jpeg and use dynamic B&W with the flash set slow synch and to 2nd curtain. They were shot wide open at ISO 100, Aperture priority at 1/30 on the shutter and I think it was successful at getting the needed background detail. The camera "done" good! :thumbs:
Very cool. Yes, I was admiring the backgrounds as well. I need to learn more about flash. Well done!

Terry

Yes, Brian it is obvious what you are thinking but please explain what a RAW file with the same sensor as a G1/GF1 developed in C1 has to do with Oly color?

Brian Mosley

Yes, Brian it is obvious what you are thinking but please explain what a RAW file with the same sensor as a G1/GF1 developed in C1 has to do with Oly color?
Ah, then it's clear you don't know what I'm thinking :p

Certainly nothing to do with Oly colour, so pipe down :lecture:

Cheers

Brian

Joan

Well then, Brian, what WAS so funny about Jono's lovely picture and what WERE you thinking? Surely you can let us all in on this private joke!?

I only ask because when i read it, I interpreted your original comment the same way Terry did; and quite understandably I might add, because you DO go on and on about Oly color.