The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 Open Test Day in Miami - Dec 3

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thought this deserved it's own thread to avoid clogging the other one.

Capture Integration will be hosting Justin Stailey and Christian Erhardt from Leica along with a full-production S2 in our Miami Office Dec 3rd at 6:30pm.

We are happy to welcome any photographer, local or fly-in, who wishes to participate in our evaluative testing that day. If you are unable to make it to that event we encourage you to send us your testing requests either on this thread (if you don't mind saying them publicly) or via email [email protected].

We are very anxious to see how the camera lives up under hard real world workload. We expect to see some great things, but we will also be trying very hard to find it's weaknesses. We will not be holding back. Anyone who expects this camera to be perfect is crazy; our goal is to find the great, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I don't think that even Leica will know which lenses they are bringing until the week of. We've been through several of these major launches and its a major logistical task to get XYZ equipment together at the same time and to know in advance which pieces and parts will be 100% ready.

thomas

If you are unable to make it to that event we encourage you to send us your testing requests either on this thread (if you don't mind saying them publicly) or via email
nobody?
So I start the wishlist :)

Well, I'd like to see …

at base ISO:
- the S2 with the 70mm and the P40+ with a Ditgitar 72 at f8 and f11
- the S2/70mm and P40+/Phase 80mm wide open and at f4
- if available the S2/35 and a P40+/Contax with the Distagon 3.5/35 (wide open and at f8)
- the same with a P30+ would also be interessting

Please include some low contrast scenes (at least a full histogram without clipping left or right).
if possible also something outdoor with millions of details at infinity (but I think Jack and Guy will do that in any way).

All the above from tripod with MLU :)

Mostly I am interested in an evaluation of the shutter speed when the mirror starts to introduce motion blur (on the S2/70mm).

As to ISO I think you'll get a long list so I leave that out.

Hopefully you can post some raw files…

carstenw

This is rather secondary to more important items, but I am curious to hear if the S2 is really hand-holdable, and to what extent.

Yeah yeah, why go for top resolution only to throw it away, yadda yadda, but sometimes it gives you an extra shot where otherwise none was possible.

D

ddk

I don't think that even Leica will know which lenses they are bringing until the week of. We've been through several of these major launches and its a major logistical task to get XYZ equipment together at the same time and to know in advance which pieces and parts will be 100% ready.
I'd love to see a few portraits with the 120mm Macro if you get it. I'm very curious about this lens's rendering. I'm guessing the 70mm should be available, if so, full length portraits please.

carstenw

I'll second the portrait with the 120. If I could afford an S2 (hahahaha), I would probably start with 35 and 120, echoing my most used lenses at the moment.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Shoot the Sekonic meter calibration test target Nr.2 at normal exposure then three stops over and three stops under. You know I love curves, even the kind I produce from these.
If you need one I can send you mine.
thanks
-bob

robsteve

Subscriber
Doug:

I just looked up your Miami address and it looks like I may be only a few miles up the road for a sailing regatta on Biscayne Bay that weekend. If I get in early enough, I may show up.

Robert

carstenw

with the same size sensor ...
Close enough. The 120 Macro doesn't have me concerned with its slight extra length. I am wondering a little about the 35mm, but by the time I would have the money I would anyway also have a choice of a 30mm T/S or a 24mm, in case I should decide to go that way.