The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripods again - Gitzo System

carstenw

So, I have some money coming up, but although I initially wanted to get an M9 with it, my girlfriend has rearranged my priorities, and a good chunk is now going towards a kindergarten (!), so I am now looking at rather more modest, if possibly more important, expenditures.

I have wanted to replace my ancient Manfrotto 055C with something more stable and nicer to work with, and had initially considered a Berlebach, which have very good dampening properties (I am not getting into better and best here :)), but careful thought has revealed two problems with this route: maximum height, and bulk. Wood is bulky.

So now I am back to selling kidneys and buying Gitzos. I want to get the last tripod of my life, and I want it to be strong enough for the possible uses I am considering. At the moment, the most strenuous thing I could do to the tripod is using my Contax 645 with 120 Macro and Sinar e54, i.e. 22MP 48x36 back. At near distances, this ought to be a challenge in and of itself, but I am also adding a 210mm lens at some point, and I am considering eventually getting the (hard to find) 350/4 as well, so the tripod would need to handle this. Throw in dreams of Leica S2 or arTec, and this rounds out the needs section. Oh, and it will initially be used with an RRS BH-55, although this might change to a Manfrotto 410, 405, or (dream on) a Cube :)

Unfortunately, Gitzo has rearranged their webpage, and I cannot even find the maximum height of anything any more, just weight, supported weight, collapsed height, and so on. I am considering Jack's favorite, the GT3541XLS, as well as the truly giant GT5561SGT (over 2,60m tall!), and any other similar model. I prefer a Systematic, since I don't use the center column, but I suppose it might be possible to convert a regular model if there is an interesting one to consider.

Any hints to snap me out of my deadlock?

Secondary question: how does one transport these things? My Manfrotto has a screw-on strap which allows me to throw it over my shoulder. Does the Gitzo come with anything like that? Most of the time, I don't want another bag with me, just a light strap which stays out of the way while I am shooting.

Dale Allyn

I LOVE the GT3541XLS!! I use its full height on nearly every outing (or at least near its full height). Of course, not on all legs, but typically one leg on awkward ground, etc. I've also used it at full height while standing on a ladder, etc. Yet it still goes plenty low enough in most cases.

This model is very stable and mates perfectly with the BH-55 (size/balance-wise). It's light enough to carry all day with a full kit. It's not so big that it's a burden on most outings. For MF gear like you have mentioned I think it's a great mix of size and stability.

BTW: I shoot Mamiya/Phase One with lenses from 35mm to 210mm if that helps for size comparison.

Christopher

I have both the GT5561SGT and the GT2542L. I love both and use both with my LF camera and Phase camera. I prefer to have the choice. The GT3541XLS is just a little bit to heavy, for hiking and other stuff. Than again, If I don't move a lot or shoot on location, there is nothing that beets the 5 series.

carstenw

Since the 3541XLS and 5561SGT are both Systematics, I guess the question is one of weight and height. Do I really want to carry almost twice the weight, in case I need to get to more than 2m?

Christopher, you do architectural photography, right? How often do you expand the 5561 fully, and how do you step up to it when it is fully expanded? I guess a 1m stepladder would do the trick?

Interestingly, my old beast of a Manfrotto weighs 2,6kg, which is almost halfway between the two Gitzos.

Christopher

Well I haven't used it much at full length so far, but the main reason for that is, that in the last year I did not shoot a lot of architecture. More personal projects. And now traveling for 6 months till December. However, really like to shoot from a higher few point and I think even two meters make a difference. (The same as sometimes shooting from the ground) For me weight wasn't an issue when deciding, because i already had two other gitzos. (One 1 series for my leica and very ligh travel and the 2 series for hiking and longer trips) What you need depends a little on how tall you are. I'm around 1,90m and so I only need a small step ladder.

KeithL

If I was essentially a landscape photographer, and living in an ideal world, I'd carry a 4m ladder with me at all times.

KeithL

Correction

If I was essentially a landscape photographer, and living in an ideal world, I'd have an assistant carrying a 4m ladder with me at all times.

Paratom

Hi Carsten,
Some time ago I decided for a Gitzo 2542L.
It allows me to go high enough to look compfotably through the viewfinder without using the middle extension (I mean "Mittelsäule"), when using the Hy6 with WLF I dont even need to fully extend the legs. (I am 1,87m tall)
It is a very nice compromise between size, weight and stability.
I am not shooting tripod that much - but from the few times I did not see any problems to use this tripod with the Hy6 or with the ArTec.

I also own a Berlebach which is beautiful but frankly the Gitzo is much more compfortable to carry - both size and weight.

I lusted for a 3541 XLS for some time but if we talk portability I believe the 2542L is much more comfortable.

It is often intruiging to buy the "real big stuff" but the question for me would be: as big and heavy as necessary but not more.

However if you do not need/plan to carry the tripod much and just bring it with your car I like the Berlebach because of its weight. (It also looks much better in the living room ;) ) Sometimes with the Gitzo Carbon I feel I could easily tip over the tripod over and damage my camera.
For my part as a hobby photographer it is often during travel and vacation where I have the time and the need to use a tripod.

Regarding the head I have a ball head from Gitzo which works very good but I love the Manfrotto 410 and believe it is perfect for its price. I feel there is not anything else I should need and never saw it necessary to spend any more money on a head.

I also admit that sometimes I think I should have just bought a Benro instead of a Gitzo- but with the Gitzo one has at least the feeling to go for the "real" stuff without compromise.

Last edited:

carstenw

That last point is interesting... there are a number of companies making carbon fiber tripods at this point (Benro, Gitzo, Giotto, Manfrotto...), and there is also a new carbon fiber version of the Manfrotto I have, and many of these are much cheaper than the Gitzos. Even Calumet has some carbon fiber tripods they are selling under their own name. I don't know if they are as good though, and in general, I would tend to think that they are not. Has anyone done some comparison testing, or are there any good websites which test this?

kdphotography

...and just to confuse you more, Carsten---RRS has a new CF tripod out that is uniquely positioned in capabilities/description between a 3 and 5 series Gitzo. My guess is RRS is the type of company that would put out a product on par with a Gitzo.

I like the Gitzo 5541LS, but had RRS come out with their CF tripod earlier, I would have considered it----similar capabilities but two pounds lighter than the 5 series....

Paratom

That last point is interesting... there are a number of companies making carbon fiber tripods at this point (Benro, Gitzo, Giotto, Manfrotto...), and there is also a new carbon fiber version of the Manfrotto I have, and many of these are much cheaper than the Gitzos. Even Calumet has some carbon fiber tripods they are selling under their own name. I don't know if they are as good though, and in general, I would tend to think that they are not. Has anyone done some comparison testing, or are there any good websites which test this?
I oly know that I have used a smaller Benro Carbon which was "cheap" (price-wise) compared to Gitzo. However it feels 90% like a Gitzo with the exception that the screw-mechanism is a little slower compared to that of the new Gitzos.
The other exception is that the price of the Benro includes a very nice bag.
To me it looks like a very good copy.

carstenw

Btw, no one answered the one part of the question: how do you carry your Gitzo around? Does everyone use a bag, or are there other options?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am considering Jack's favorite, the GT3541XLS, as well as the truly giant GT5561SGT
Just to weigh in, I still *LOVE* the 3541 XLS! If it broke today, I would replace it instantly without hesitation or regard to price and not even consider other manufacturer comparable options. I need nothing stronger or heavier duty for my current uses, I like how it works and trust it in all conditions.

*IF* I still shot birds with 800mm telephotos in front of my Canons OR still shot an 8X10 view camera, I would get the 5561GT and put a Wimberley for the Canon/Tele or a uber-heavy-duty head on top for the 8X10. But aside from those situations, I have not had any need or desire for a 5-series with my current MF outfit.

To carry my 3 series I used to bag it and that was a PITA, so I decided all I needed to do was wrap the Cube to protect it. That has all gone away and now I simply toss it in the back of the car naked, no bag or wrap. If traveling by air, I remove the Cube head and put the legs in my checked roller duffle along with my clothes and boots, and stuff the Cube in my camera bag which I carry on.

My .02 only and FWIW,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Btw, no one answered the one part of the question: how do you carry your Gitzo around? Does everyone use a bag, or are there other options?
I have a thinktank roller bag with a spot for the tripod when I am working with it.
When traveling I go like Jack,
Take the column off and put the tripod in the suitcase, head in my carry-on
I also have on optech tripod strap which I can use to sling it over my shoulder. There are others such as silk which make these.
-bob

Paratom

I use a Benro bag ;) The Gitzo bag was too expensive and the Manfrotto too big for my taste.

Dale Allyn

In the field I carry the tripod cradled across my body like an upland bird shotgun, or I carry it over my shoulder like a Nitro Express in Botswana. ;) Sometimes camera is attached, and sometimes not. It can also be carried in the tripod holder of my backpack and that works fine too, but I prefer to carry it like a long-gun.

I also own a rather compact Benro. I bought it in Bangkok at a time when other options were scarce. Other than Benro I could get bad stuff, a couple of Sliks, or some overpriced Manfrottos (due to tariffs), and the Benro worked fine. Now Gitzos are available there too though. Anyway, the Benro is quite well made for the money and there's nothing crappy about it in comparison to Gitzo. It's a little less sexy and refined, but an excellent value IMO. And as Tom mentions, the case is nice.

That said, like Jack, if my 3541XLS were lost today I would simply order another one. I wouldn't waste any angst over it. I'm that content.

In the car I lay the tripod and head so that they don't bang on stuff, maybe with a jacket padding it, etc. I have also slid it into the Benro bag (though it's too long for the bag I have) just to keep it from banging against a dog kennel in the car. Mostly it is carried in the vehicle about like Jack and Bob described.

I hike miles with it, but would not likely choose it for much over 8 miles or so. I carry my Phase/Mamiya kit with as many as seven lenses on most outings. Most typically though, I carry six lenses. I'm 5'8" and about 145 lbs. (maybe 150 this week, need to get out more).

Hope that helps.

Christopher

I think I have to redefine hiking: For me that is a full day trip and can be up to 30miles. So at that point weight really matters. Ever ounce.

Dale Allyn

Yep, hikes can be longer or shorter. Terrain matters, weather, how much shooting is done, etc. I don't hike more than 8-10 miles at time these days, but I'm referring to lineal distance covered, not all the side trips and positioning, etc.

"Back in the day" I was in to backpacking and handled things differently. These days time is more limited, as is energy. A typical afternoon/evening outing for me these days might be four to five miles hiking out from my vehicle, shooting until past dark, then return. Mornings might be the same. All day (pre-dawn 'till after dark) hikes are fewer these days for me. Still some, but not as often, as I often return to the vehicle and move to another location mid-day.

I don't normally do overnight backpack trips with my full kit these days, but I have identified a couple such trips for spring of 2010. Still, the hiking will mostly be around 5 or 6 miles per day to allow for shooting, waiting for light, etc. As an experienced backpacker, mountaineer, hunter, 30 miles per day is too much for me for photography, especially to allow time for shooting the way I like. Others with more energy and a different shooting style probably feel differently. I don't have the "pep" for it these days. :)