The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3 at 6400 ISO

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know this is a D3 thread but here is a D300 at 3200 shot handheld with the 180 at 3.5 and 1/400 of a second( I was shaky today), no sharpening and no noise reduction straight from the box

Guy Mancuso

BTW this was under flouresant ( spelling) and on AWB no corrections made to CB.

This one a little noise reduction in LR , I need to find a little better setup for ISO 3200

Guy Mancuso

Just 2 weeks more. Than I will get you all hooked up . Better clear out that Credit card first. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

gogopix

Subscriber
so with that great high ISO my choice is hassey lens on a D3 or Leica on a 5D?

Can Nikon take Leica lenses

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
I think I can also put Hassy on the Nikon but not Leica that i know off
Son Son!

Where are you?

You have half a millameter to play with! That shoiuld CERTAINLY be enough for a Leica ("R" of course) to Nikon adapter

Victor

PS What about a mount change? Guy didnt you have a Leica changed to an "F" mount once upon a time (in your youth :) )

Guy Mancuso

Could not change from Nikon to Leica with regard to mount. Not sure about Leica to Nikon though, I bet there is a way to do it. Nikon has been around forever. Maybe SK Grimes in Boston

David K

Workshop Member
I've actually got a Hassy to Nikon adapter coming from Son, higher quality than the fotodiox (and more $$). Novoflex sells a pair of adapters ($500) which do the same thing, available from Adorama but not in stock despite what their web site shows.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Victor, the Zeiss ZF lenses are "AI-S type" lenses with an aperture ring, and the whole point is that high end Nikon cameras like D3 and D300 do meter with AI-S type lenses. You set the aperture with the aperture ring. The aperture remains open while you focus and the camera meters, and when you fire the shutter the aperture iris closes. So no stop down metering with Nikon + ZF lenses. And the ZF lenses are also born "Nikon F-mount" lenses, so no need for adapters that add yet another alignment issue.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Guy,

great to see you finally are making your way to Nikon - at least a start :clap:

I am very happy with the D3 and the 14-24, 28-70, 70-200VR, 81.4/85 and 105VR. Excellent stuff and compared to Leica a bargain :ROTFL:

And WRT speed of operation it is not comparable to any existing Leica product.

Guy Mancuso

Yes Peter it is a fun system. i actually shot Nikon for many years in my past and always loved there systems. Now finally they have some digital DSLR's that truly add a lot of value to shooters and there newer glass is really nice. It is going to help me with some commercial work that i was struggling with on the M8. So they will take on a little different roles now. I tried to get to just the M8 and did okay for awhile but as a commercial shooter that gets called on for many things it was getting harder to just do M8 only. I needed some help here for that. Getting some longer glass is a real help for some of this stuff and the grip and grin stuff

gogopix

Subscriber
well, how old a lens will work? I bought a Nikon in 1969 (honeymoon!), first 'good' camera after my aunt's old Kodak and Bronica . Don't even know where it is, but with enough incentive I can look! (although I would likely us hassey or Zeiss. The 85mm should be GREAT as should the 21mm distagon at the high ISO

woodyspedden

They can take Zeiss ZF's and i have 2 coming 50 and 85mm.
Guy

I am also planning to get a couple of Zeiss lenses and I looked at the 85 1.4 but the 100 f2 macro seems a considerably better lens, at least if you read the very thorough Lloyd Chambers report.

Since I have so much respect for your judgements on such matters i wonder if you looked at the 100 and if so why you chose the 85.

Thanks in advance for sharing

Woody