The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fast and wide on m43 (Schneider Kreuznach 10mm/f1.8 Cinegon)

nugat

In my search for good wide/fast glass on m43 I came across a schneider-kreuznach 10mm/1.8 cinegon 16mm cinema c mount lens. It is a solid and beautiful lens, especially on EP1. It has an unusually big front glass apparently as a measure to cover the full super16mm image circle. That by itself is not much of a promise, as S16 is only 14mm image diameter vs m43 22mm. It turned out fortunately that the lens approaches 17mm image circle coverage, similar to the one of 1inch vidicon TV glass (16mm diameter). But let's say it up front: 17mm image circle makes the lens an effective 28mm full frame equivalent on 43, instead of the hoped for 20mm FF equivalent. The key will be then wide open performance: does the 28mm FF equiv deliver at f1.8? Let's see. All pics at base ISO and the focus is on the coke bottle print. I'll post some 100% crops next.
Left-right and down (EXIFs preserved):
1)EP1/ Schneider combo. In the looks department it's a winner.
2 EP1 plus SK wide open at f1.8
3) SK closed down to f5.6.
All remaining shots at f4-5.6.
4) GH1 with panny 7-14 set to 10mm.
5) Panny LX3 set to 5.1mm (24mm FF equivalent).
6) EP1 with kit zoom set to 14mm (28mm FF equivalent).
7) is Leica M8 with elmarit 21/2.8 (28mm FF equivalent).
8) GF1 with panny 20/1.7 (40mm FF) but from a few steps back for same AOV.

The Schneider goes at ebay for 500$. Is it a well spent amount?
Maybe the 100% crops will tell the full story...

Last edited:

nugat

And here we go with the 100% crops of the center.
Left-right and down. (EXIFs preserved)
1)SK at f5.6
2) SK at f1.8
3) Panny 7-14 at 10mm
4)LX3 at 5.1mm (24mm FF)
5) EP1 kit at 14mm (28mm FF)
6)M8 + elmarit 21mm(24mm FF)
7) GF1 + 20mm/1.7 (40mm FF) stepped back

Is the Schneider worth the 500$ it goes for at ebay?
If it performed at f1.8 as well as at 5.6 maybe. But it does not, becomes very soft. And then it's effectively a 28mm lens (FF) which additionally crops out 7-8 megapixels from the 43 12MP frame. The panny vario is a 14-28/ f4 full frame lens equivalent. Or for the money one better get a whole camera like LX3 which offers similar final quality at the wide end base ISO . Or step back a bit with the 20/1.7 for even a better picture. The kit 14-42 Oly sadly underperforms at the wide end (contrast?). The winner of course is M8+elmarit , a bargain combo, used already for 5k$.
Better yet wait for the 14/f.2.8 panny...
Just my 2 grosze.

Last edited:

pellicle

interesting

while I like wide, the vignetting and the size makes my Oly 9-18mm wider (and perhaps cheaper)

thanks for posting :)

V

Vivek

This reminds me of the early days of the Nikon APS-C DSLRs.

Given this is a new system (well, not that new when one considers 4/3rds, there not many people pressed for small fast primes, I suppose), it is frustrating.

As long as the manufacturers are satisfied with making profits by churning out new models of cameras with minute variations and slow zooms not much is going improve.:sleep006:

R

retnull

SK cropped looks good.

Interesting comparing M8 vs GF1 w/ Panasonic 20 1.7:
yes, the M8 looks better -- but $4k better? Not so sure....

pellicle

Hi

As long as the manufacturers are satisfied with making profits by churning out new models of cameras with minute variations and slow zooms not much is going improve.:sleep006:
I agree, but what can you do? I'm after taking images, so rather than let myself be stymied I buy what I can which does the job. Despite its bulk and slowness the 9-18 is about all I can find to fill the bill:

I just can't do that with anything else ... I just wish Pentax had made an 11mm 110 lens

A

Abbazz

+1

Give us real cameras and proper lenses!

Cheers!

Abbazz

V

Vivek

The Pentax 110 18mm lens works with a Ricoh GW-1 0.75X converter.

There is slight vignetting in the corners though.

Image quality is superb.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The Pentax 110 18mm lens works with a Ricoh GW-1 0.75X converter.

There is slight vignetting in the corners though.

Image quality is superb.
Vivek - how do you couple those two together? I have them both and would like to try it

V

Vivek

Simple, Keith.

IIRC, a 30.5mm to 37mm step up ring (I had one from the set that was supplied with the Century Optics 0.7X converter) would do the trick.