The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tidbits from PMA 2010

photoSmart42

Just got back from the first day of the PMA show in Anaheim, and thought I'd share a few things that may or may not be new to most of you. Photos taken with my crappy iPhone camera (not sure why I left my GH1 in the car...).

Panasonic:
- No new announcements at PMA this year, but they're looking to make a big announcement at Photokina. The Panasonic rep told me they're targeting Photokina specifically for the announcement because it's the home of DPReview, and Pana wants them on hand to look at the new product. They didn't confirm it'll be the G2/GH2, but they did tell me they strongly suggested their distributors to stop buying G1/GH1s from them. My guess Panasonic has a warehouse full of G2/GH2 cameras ready to be sent out very soon.

- While they couldn't confirm or deny the pending release of the G2, they said it's likely to at least incorporate 720p video capability to address one of the biggest criticisms the camera received when it was launched. No word on any other potential improvements.

- Saw the demo versions of the three new lenses: 100-300mm, 14mm pancake, and 8mm(?) fisheye. The 100-300 looked slightly larger than the 14-140, the 14 pancake looked nearly identical to the 20/1.7. Surprisingly, the fisheye seemed about the same size as the 7-14mm lens.

Sigma:
- In the info booklet for the show there was a big center insert with the m4/3 logo, and I got really excited when I saw Sigma's name mentioned at the bottom of it alongside Panasonic and Olypmus. I thought for sure they were planning on perhaps offering lenses for the format, but when I asked them what it all meant they said it was simply to say their 4/3 lenses are compatible with the m4/3 adapter. They said they had no plans to make lenses for the m4/3 format directly.

Sony:
- This one was surprising. Walked by their booth just to see what they had, and one of their display cases had three camera prototypes without name. They called them simply compact cameras with interchangeable lenses. They had APS-C sized sensors, and came in three different colors. Very rough prototypes obviously (open sensor recess, big glass 'screen' on the back, not much else), and the reps confirmed they were simply concepts at this point. Interestingly, they had placed their lens release button on the right of the lens right so it's accessible with the 'trigger' finger, which makes changing lenses a lot more convenient IMO than the current implementation. Something to watch as competition for m4/3

Other stuff:
- The Samsung booth wasn't getting a whole lot of visitors in spite of their NX series mirrorless cameras they released, so not sure how successful their decision not to join the m4/3 format will be.

- Kipon was there with a bunch of their adapters - all very nice (I have their C-mount one). The Contax G adapter seemed easy enough to operate, although I didn't mount it on my camera to try it there.

Last edited:

jsnack

I went to the PMA 2010 today, Feb. 22. The Samsung is a very nice unit that may give Panasonic & Olympus a run. It has an excellent built-in viewfinder.

Along those lines, the Oly EVF for the EP-2 trumps the Panasonic EVF in every way...it's not even close. The image is big, bright & clear. I smiled instantly when I brought it to my eye. The Panny guys suspect there will be an updated finder, but they seemed not to know for sure...or didn't want to discuss it. I told them the Oly was better and they just nodded.

The new Oly 9-18 lens is very compact and light. It felt solid on the EP-2. I like that it retracts and that it takes filters. If it produces good results I think I may pick that one up over the Panny 7-14.

Should be some great stuff to look forward to throughout the year.

roanjoh

I can't wait until these mirrorless cameras are offered in larger sensors....... (for less than $7000 of course).

Diane B

Are you referring to the EVF for the GF1 or the G1/GH1 EVF?

With your report and the one above--looks like some interesting days ahead.

Diane

I went to the PMA 2010 today, Feb. 22. The Samsung is a very nice unit that may give Panasonic & Olympus a run. It has an excellent built-in viewfinder.

Along those lines, the Oly EVF for the EP-2 trumps the Panasonic EVF in every way...it's not even close. The image is big, bright & clear. I smiled instantly when I brought it to my eye. The Panny guys suspect there will be an updated finder, but they seemed not to know for sure...or didn't want to discuss it. I told them the Oly was better and they just nodded.

The new Oly 9-18 lens is very compact and light. It felt solid on the EP-2. I like that it retracts and that it takes filters. If it produces good results I think I may pick that one up over the Panny 7-14.

Should be some great stuff to look forward to throughout the year.

mark1958

I do not believe they would hold an announcement (e.g. Panasonic) to please dpreview.com They are attending the PMA show. It is more likely they are just not ready, which of course is fine. Premature announcements can be damaging.

Diane B

I do not believe they would hold an announcement (e.g. Panasonic) to please dpreview.com They are attending the PMA show. It is more likely they are just not ready, which of course is fine. Premature announcements can be damaging.
I also thought that Photokina is held in Cologne--and I think around September-- and Dpreview is in Britain. Maybe they meant Focus on Imaging which I believe is held in Britain--and I think its in March.

Diane

Diane B

I am referring to the EVF for the GF1...meaning the external/electronic viewfinder.
I have that EVF--but the one in the G1/GH1 is much better--big, bright--I love it. I do use the EVF on my GF1 almost all the time when I'm shooting with it--but no question I prefer my G1's.

Diane

photoSmart42

Dragos, What is the "teleconversion" lens in your pictures?
It was next to a number of other Panasonic accessories, so I think it's something Panasonic is planning to offer. To be honest I did a poor job as a reporter and was focused primarily on the lenses, so it didn't dawn on me to ask about the other stuff in the display case =/. I'm not all that familiar with the accessories offered by Panasonic since I can't afford them, so I didn't think the teleconverter was anything out of the ordinary. I took it for a screw-on lens for their P&S cameras.

Godfrey

Sony:
... Interestingly, they had placed their lens release button on the right of the lens right so it's accessible with the 'trigger' finger, which makes changing lenses a lot more convenient IMO than the current implementation. Something to watch as competition for m4/3 ...
Both my Pentax bodies and the Leica Ms always had their lens release there too. I never liked that much, seemed much clumsier than where FT, mFT, Nikon, and Canon have it on the 'outside' of the body.

RichA

Speaking of the phony Sony Ricoh rip-offs...

Nice body shape copying, Sony. If only you had something real. Meanwhile, this interesting comment from Ricoh;

A sensor-only unit is also being investigated that will allow users of third party lenses to attach them to the GXR body.

photoSmart42

Both my Pentax bodies and the Leica Ms always had their lens release there too. I never liked that much, seemed much clumsier than where FT, mFT, Nikon, and Canon have it on the 'outside' of the body.
Hmmm, interesting. To me it seems like being able to push the release button without taking your palm off the grip, and removing the lens with the left hand would be faster than the other way. Can't beat actual experience with that style though. Thanks!