The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV back

jlm

Workshop Member
another version of this one; for some reason?? the raw file was about 29meg compared to around 24 meg for the others; had to reduce it's size a bit more to fit the forum.

i am also finding my images come into flexcolor at temp 5500, tint of 10, but need to be set to 4750 and tint 30 virtually in every case (outdoor shots). I have the back set to daylight.

Last edited:

bensonga

Great images John! I really enjoyed them. Nothing quite like that shipyard up here in Alaska....at least, not in my neck of the woods. You're getting great results from that CFV back. Look forward to seeing more of them.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

woodyspedden

another version of this one; for some reason?? the raw file was about 29meg compared to around 24 meg for the others; had to reduce it's size a bit more to fit the forum.

i am also finding my images come into flexcolor at temp 5500, tint of 10, but need to be set to 4750 and tint 30 virtually in every case (outdoor shots). I have the back set to daylight.
John

I use the same color temp but found that I got the most accurate overall color using a tint of between 43 and 55. I built several presets around these values for use in Phocus. So far the results have been really nice. But out of the back the yellow bias is very prevalent thus the need for additional magenta.

Woody

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks gary. i am having a blast with it. for the first time i am really enjoying the color work. love that sq format as well. I enjoyed your b/w work as well.

woody: if i were to go that far in tint, the magenta would be way too strong. i did process these in flex, since i was on my pc. maybe there is s diif? I use the temp drop to compensate for the yellow, but then the tint shift gets rid of the green

fotografz

John

I use the same color temp but found that I got the most accurate overall color using a tint of between 43 and 55. I built several presets around these values for use in Phocus. So far the results have been really nice. But out of the back the yellow bias is very prevalent thus the need for additional magenta.

Woody
My new CFV-II shoots at about 5700, tint 4 ... and eye-droppering the whites to my taste takes it to about 4900, -8 tint.

fotografz

I would never argue with the master but that is so far from my experience (and apparently JLM's) that it is hard to reconcile.

Woody
Woody, that was shooting the CFV-II yesterday as I set up for for a commercial job in studio with my white plex backdrop using Profoto strobes ... which is pretty consistent color temp and a good evaluation of the capture. The plex does have a slight cast to it, so I really need to use a grey card in frame to nail the temp and tint exactly.

jlm

Workshop Member
does flex or phocus allow the use of profiles for the camera, like C1 does? if so, it might be worth making one up. anyone try this?
...I know several people made them for the M8 in C1.

woodyspedden

Woody, that was shooting the CFV-II yesterday as I set up for for a commercial job in studio with my white plex backdrop using Profoto strobes ... which is pretty consistent color temp and a good evaluation of the capture. The plex does have a slight cast to it, so I really need to use a grey card in frame to nail the temp and tint exactly.
I get you Marc. The CFV II may be different from the CFV I in that regard. My out of camera files from the CFV I are distinctly yellow and Son reported the same. So at least there is consistency and i could imagine there being a tint difference from Flex as opposed to Phocus.

Woody

woodyspedden

does flex or phocus allow the use of profiles for the camera, like C1 does? if so, it might be worth making one up. anyone try this?
...I know several people made them for the M8 in C1.
john

i don't know specifically about profiles but it is really easy to make the needed adjustments in Phocus to get the files to look great to you and then simply save as a preset. The preset can then be used to adjust all imported files as a batch and of course can be used as a close starting point for individual images.

Woody

jlm

Workshop Member
another helicon series fair amount of CA along the railing for you peepers; also the flag moved, he, he, now there are two. shot with the horseman and rodenstock 35

jlm

Workshop Member
quick question: i've been saving these for the forum using Jack's web converter, but the second one got bumped at 751 x 750, or so, using max quality compression (so I reduced comp to high); first one worked fine at max quality), also 750 x 750.
I thought the limit was 900x900?

jlm

Workshop Member
last one for the day, helicon again from five focus brackets. once again, this file got bumped and I had to use the high setting; the other worked fine

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi John:

Superb series!!!

Pixel size limit for attached images is 900x900. For embeded images -- those you upload to the gallery here or some other host area and then embed the img link in the post here -- there is no size limit, but they will automatically get sized to a 900x1200 initial post size if larger than that to begin with, requiring a second click to get to the full size it was uploaded at. Hope that clarifies!

Cheers,