The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D 40 @100 ISO 3 minutes plus

Jeffg53

Not my finest seascape, but it was an interesting experiment. This was taken 35 minutes before sunrise this morning. I was interested in noise, in particular. This is straight out of the camera. My conclusion is that there ain't no noise in the darkest areas. I will happily Yousend it to anyone who wants the FFF.

Last edited:

tjv

Looks pretty sweet, doesn't it!
It's amazing how much these high end products have matured over the last four or five years.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Not my finest seascape, but it was an interesting experiment. This was taken 35 minutes before sunrise this morning. I was interested in noise, in particular. This is straight out of the camera. My conclusion is that there ain't no noise in the darkest areas. I will happily Yousend it to anyone who wants the FFF.
Jeff,

I would love to play with the FFF. PM sent.

Thanks,

Bob

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Beautiful samples and great camera!

MF seems to come really pretty close to high end DSLRs in terms of speed and operability, of course with higher IQ. Question is for how long, as next generation top DSLRs will have around 30MP themselves but offer all the flexibility of 35mm FF systems and much lower price.

Interesting times :cool:

Double Negative

Not Available
With a DSLR, even full frame - the sensor can only be so large. Cramming more pixels into the same area makes for tiny, noisy pixels. Sure, the two platforms will leap frog, one over the other, in perpetuity... :D

But my bet's on MF for IQ. I do see the convenience, ergonomics, features, etc. blurring more though.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With a DSLR, even full frame - the sensor can only be so large. Cramming more pixels into the same area makes for tiny, noisy pixels. Sure, the two platforms will leap frog, one over the other, in perpetuity... :D

But my bet's on MF for IQ. I do see the convenience, ergonomics, features, etc. blurring more though.
This is not the point! Of course MF IQ is better and will be always better than FF DSLR, but FF DSLR reaches a level meanwhile, which is very mature and close to MF.

David K

Workshop Member
Very impressive Jeff, thanks for sharing. That location looks like it would lend itself to a beautiful pano, especially with the water all smoothed out from the long exposure.

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin
Worth noting that the 50 is not microlensed so will offer a stop less sensitivity.
Nick-T
Noted, Nick, but this won't matter for my purposes: more importantly, Hassy ofer a cross-upgrade trade in for my ZD camera if I buy the H4D-50 that is not available for the H4D-40, so it also makes good financial sense.

Must say though that the shots from the 40 I have seen are the closest in terms of quality at the pixel level to a scanning back I have yet seen from a bayer type sensor.

fotografz

I take delivery of my H4D/40 tomorrow!

Now to hunt down a HTS 1.5 ... which should be interesting with the two mag factors combined ... the HC 100/2.2 X 1.5X = 150/3.3 X 1.3X crop factor = 195mm field of view with a 3.3 max aperture. A very desirable combo for a lot of the table top I do .... and will definitely be pressed into service for selective focus portrait work I've been dying to experiment with.

Should be interesting.

Thanks for the report! I'd love to do some long exposure cityscapes with merged files.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Congrats Marc . Look forward to your thoughts on the 40 mpx sensors. i really am happy as a pig in ----