The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IR Pano via Betterlight and Ebony SV 4x5

Clawery

so how was this accomplished? (removal of the IR cut filter?), and is this something that will be offered to owners of P45's?
Jim,

To get all of the details you can look at the link on our web site. Doug has posted the details of that particular shot. The P45+ had the IR filter removed from it and was replaced with glass. You can order it directly from a Phase One dealer, but it will add a couple of weeks to your delivery time. It's just that they pull what would be a normal P45+ off the production line before the filter is installed and insert clear glass. It then has to be recalibrated and focus checked.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Jack and Jim: if you have a chance to post some 100% crops of those amazing panos I would greatly appreciate it. I took a Phase One scanning back out on an IR shoot a while ago and I'm sure you can sympathize that my first go around with such a system was frought with rookie mistakes. I'm wondering specifically about the sharpness at 100% and what lenses you've found focus the infrared light closest to the primaries.

Also, I almost always target a monochromatic output. Maybe I'll step into some false-color IR soon. But in the meanwhile I've been spending a lot of time going back and forth between exposing exclusively for the red channel with daylight WB, and exposing for the luminosity after a custom (and quite severe) WB. I've not made up my mind yet, and would appreciate input from other IR shooters. My feeling in general for digital IR is to expose only for the red channel and extract just the red in post. In the past this has had a meaningful impact on noise and shadow detail, but this seems not the case using the P45+IR.

As for my most recent shoot with the P45+IR I can't tell you just how pleasant it was shooting IR with this camera compared to the scan back, film (HIE, macophot 820, SFX200), or 35 digital I've shot in the past. I've always had a passion for infrared, but its not been so leisurely to capture images that satisfy me. Here are a few further examples from this weekend.

If anyone is interested I can post a raw, because to me that was the best part. The flexibility of the resulting magenta-cast file is just incredible. Any cut-off in detail you see in these images was a choice; all of them had generous detail on both ends of the histogram.

Hey mods, is it okay to post that many large pics in a row?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
By the way, as noted in the entry on this back on captureintegration.com these files are all heavily photoshopped. The most visible effect is that of a glow effect:
1) duplicate layer
2) set layer blending to overlay
3) gaussian blur the layer by 5-50 pixels
3) reduce layer opacity to 30-70%
4) mask out layer in extreme highlights to preserve last zone of detail

The shot of the roof against the sun was taken with the assistance of HDR, though once I had gone through the hour of work to combine 3-stitch X 3-exposure image I found that one of the single horizontal exposures worked almost as well. The IR response of this camera is quite compressed in the histogram, allowing for a LOT of scene contrast while maintaining shadow/highlight detail.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, how in the heck do you post such a wide shot in a thread? I though 900 pixels was the limit.
Hi Marc:

900x900 is only the limit for an attachment. If you use the gallery, you can upload up to a 1200 high x 2400 wide jpeg, jpg, or tif as long as they don't exceed 2meg in total file size, then link to it or embed it (as I did with this one) in a thread.

Cheers,

fotografz

Hi Marc:

900x900 is only the limit for an attachment. If you use the gallery, you can upload up to a 1200 high x 2400 wide jpeg, jpg, or tif as long as they don't exceed 2meg in total file size, then link to it or embed it (as I did with this one) in a thread.

Cheers,
How do you embed Jack? Step-by-step please, I'm an idiot when doing stuff like this.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Marc:

First, let me correct the above -- you can upload ANY pixel size, the only limit is 2MB per image. That corected, full details on using the gallery are in this thread in my post #4: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54. Next, more specific details can be found in the FAQ's, and here is a brief:

1) Upload your image to the gallery, any size, only limit is 2MB
2) Forum software will upload the full image, and at the same time create a max 900x1200 version.
3) In your gallery you will have a thumb and the 900x1200.
3a) If you click on the 900x1200 image, you will get to the full size image you uploaded.
4) At each of these images is a bb-code link string underneath.
5) Copy this link
6) In your thread, use the embed image icon, the one up top that is a mountain with a sun in it
7) Insert the copied string in the dialog box, and presto, you are done.

Cheers,

fotografz

Hi Marc:

First, let me correct the above -- you can upload ANY pixel size, the only limit is 2MB per image. That corected, full details on using the gallery are in this thread in my post #4: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54. Next, more specific details can be found in the FAQ's, and here is a brief:

1) Upload your image to the gallery, any size, only limit is 2MB
2) Forum software will upload the full image, and at the same time create a max 900x1200 version.
3) In your gallery you will have a thumb and the 900x1200.
3a) If you click on the 900x1200 image, you will get to the full size image you uploaded.
4) At each of these images is a bb-code link string underneath.
5) Copy this link
6) In your thread, use the embed image icon, the one up top that is a mountain with a sun in it
7) Insert the copied string in the dialog box, and presto, you are done.

Cheers,
Thank You Jack.

Guess I'd better upgrade my membership : -)