The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lenses which ones?

rem

Hi All! This is my first question her but i read a lot, esp. the comments about Hasselblad. Sorry for my bad english. Till now i work with the Nikon D3 and many lenses (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 etc.). Now I orderd a H4D-40 with the 80mm. So, what should be my next lenses? I had some days to try out the 28mm, the 35-90, the 80mm, the 120mm and the HTS 1.5. The 120mm is so good but also big and slow, but I think its a must!? The 28mm could be great wit the HTS (Architecture) but my test was not so great, I found it pretty soft in the corners. Maybe i made something wrong. So then I stopet to think about the HTS. Then I came to the 35mm. Not so extrem like the 28mm... How ist the quality from this glas? Then I came to the 50-110mm (not yet used)cheaper and make sense with the 28mm..., but then the 120mm??? What do you think about the zooms? So you see, Im so confused, becaus its also a lot of money! The most time I shoot people, some products and like to force the architecture. What do you think about the H4D-40 with the HTS and 28mm for architecture? Or ist it the wrong way? I have a small studio and like to do do the most part with the Hassy. So, sorry for my long and confuset post but maybe somebody can help me! Best regards from Switzerland, rem

Dustbak

You shoot people mostly? In that case I would opt for the 100. This is my 'bread & butter' lens and almost welded to the body. Or the 150 which has the fastest AF (I have not yet tried the 35-90, one is on its way hopefully). These are the lenses I would consider in that case.

The 50-110 is excellent but heavy. I can use it handheld the whole day but most people would not want to do that (I must admit, at the end of the day I am glad I can put the thing down).

Professional

My must lenses for Hasselblad are:
80mm which is a kit lens
100 for portraits
28 for landscapes
120 for macro and close ups
any of the two zooms, 35-90 seems the new better performance over 50-110
I hope to have those all lenses one day.

rem

Re: Hasselblad H4D-40 Lenses which ones?

Thanks for your input. Is the difference from the 80mm to the 100 not to small (for the money;-). A collegue make nearly all of his great portraits with the 120mm (www.marcogrob.com). Some times I shoot also groups with 10-30 people. Could this go with the 28mm and then crop? I think I will also tryout the 50-110mm. Any expierience with the HTS 1.5 and the H4D 40? lg, rem

fotografz

Re: Hasselblad H4D-40 Lenses which ones?

Marco Grob is a colleague of yours? He is one of the best and most famous photographers in the world. Why not ask him?

In his "Making Of" still shots and videos on his website, it looks like he uses the 50mm a lot. I didn't notice him using a zoom in any of the "Making Of" still shots or videos.

If you are getting the H4D/40 (the camera I now use), keep the 1.3X crop factor in mind. The 28mm is then more like the 35mm in terms of field of view. If the 28 you tried was soft in the corners then, yes something is wrong.

I use all of the primes except the 35mm which I recently sold for lack of use. My next lens will be the 35-90 zoom, and I will be done. I do have the 120/4 Macro which is stellar, but rarely use it outside of the studio because it is so big and heavy (I do not have 20 people to carry all my gear like Mr. Grob does ;) )

-Marc

rem

Hey Marc thanks for your answer, i read all your posts about the H4d40 and the HTS. Thats the reason i tought I made something wrong with the hts becaus i saw your grat pics with the hts! Marco makes the most portraits with the 120mm. He loves this lens so much. An he use often the 50mm and told me I should also check out the 35mm because its not so extreme like the 28mm. Because I found the hts not so good I would go with the 35mm but then I saw your pics...;-) And you now, I have to pay all my gear by my self, so I have to choice good!;-) Did you allready worked with the 50-110? With the 35-90? Would it be a option the 28mm with the hts to use as a 42mm for Groupshots? Have you any experience with the hts and architecture? lg rem

Professional

I have 28mm and it is my favorite wide angle lens, i will buy HTS one day to use with it for interior design and architecture, When i will buy 120 macro soon then this will be my #1 products/still life/portraits lens, i may buy 100 or 150 in the future for portraits but my 80mm is doing more than great, i sometimes use 80mm with Extension tube 26 for closeups and it is fine but 120 is must, so my next lens will be definitely 120 macro then i will follow it with a zoom.

rem

Hi Professional, and why not start with a zoom? The 80mm is already in the box... ;-) With the 28mm and the HTS I have the same direction like you!

fotografz

Hey Marc thanks for your answer, i read all your posts about the H4d40 and the HTS. Thats the reason i tought I made something wrong with the hts becaus i saw your grat pics with the hts! Marco makes the most portraits with the 120mm. He loves this lens so much. An he use often the 50mm and told me I should also check out the 35mm because its not so extreme like the 28mm. Because I found the hts not so good I would go with the 35mm but then I saw your pics...;-) And you now, I have to pay all my gear by my self, so I have to choice good!;-) Did you allready worked with the 50-110? With the 35-90? Would it be a option the 28mm with the hts to use as a 42mm for Groupshots? Have you any experience with the hts and architecture? lg rem
I only recently got the HTS, so I am still playing with it. I have done mostly macro shots and outdoor test shots using the shift function to make panoramic images. Mostly with the 100 for Macro ... and the 28 for the panoramics. I don't do architectural work, but when shooting urban portrait I like to correct the perspective sometimes ... or exaggerate it.

I will be doing a portrait session soon and want to try some selective focus work using the HTS tilt feature with the 100/2.2 (which is my favorite lens of them all, partly because it is the fastest of them all .... so coupled with the H4D's better low light performance I can do more ambient people work).

The reason I sold the 35 is because I will be getting the 35-90 eventually, and it was a bit close to the 28. I will keep the 50 to use on the HTS because the 35-90 zoom cannot be used on the HTS.

My second favorite lens is the 210/4.

-Marc

Last edited:

Udo

rem,

just another thought about the HC(D) lenses:

If you consider the HTS then keep in mind it cannot be used with any of the zoom lenses nor with the 120 macro.

The 100 is one of my favorite lenses, I use it a lot more than the 80. On the other hand the 80 has its usage on the HTS, i.e. this combo performs very well.

As for wide angle I would go for the 28 considering your 33x44 sensor. It works pretty well especially with the HTS. This combo still gives you a considerable wider field of view (42mm) compared to 55mm (HTS + HC35).

For the zoom lenses I can only comment on the 50-110, which is an excellent lens, but heavy. If I am out in the desert this is the lens which stays on the camera besides its optical capabilities also for reasons of convenience and to keep the dust and fine sand out of the camera ;-)

Fortunately you have quite a lot choices within the HC lens arsenal, which in turn can give you a lot twinges when it comes to decide for one or the other.

It is up to your visions.

Best regards from the Red Sea,
Udo

fotografz

Rem, here are a couple of test images I did yesterday using the H4D/40, HTS/1.5 and 28/4. My objective was Panoramics of my little town in Michigan to test detail and edge-to-edge sharpness and whether there would be any color shifts at the edges (there were none). It was pretty windy when I was shooting, but they still came out pretty well.

The HST/1.5 can be used with the 28, 35, 50, 80 and 100 ... which is a pretty good range of T/S options. The 150 and 210 can be mounted but Hasselblad doesn't recommend it.

Three shots each using center, and extreme left and right shifts on the HTS. PTGui Pro was used to stitch the images together because the wind was swaying the trees and the PTGui allows you to select match points manually when required.

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/5/8/library_pano-01_panorama.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/5/8/church_bench_pano-01_panorama.jpg

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Rem, here are a couple of test images I did yesterday using the H4D/40, HTS/1.5 and 28/4. My objective was Panoramics of my little town in Michigan to test detail and edge-to-edge sharpness and whether there would be any color shifts at the edges (there were none). It was pretty windy when I was shooting, but they still came out pretty well.

The HST/1.5 can be used with the 28, 35, 50, 80 and 100 ... which is a pretty good range of T/S options. The 150 and 210 can be mounted but Hasselblad doesn't recommend it.

Three shots each using center, and extreme left and right shifts on the HTS. PTGui Pro was used to stitch the images together because the wind was swaying the trees and the PTGui allows you to select match points manually when required.

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/5/8/library_pano-01_panorama.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/5/8/church_bench_pano-01_panorama.jpg

-Marc
Marc,

thanks for these posts! The shots look great. Just the right for landscape. I think I need to get an HTS too :)

rem

Thanks Udo and thanks for the samples Marc and Servus to Wien;-)! The panos looks great (and also your place were you live, Marc). So, I'm waiting for my H4D40 and hope the Airports are soon open for flights from Sweden to Switzerland (and all around the world of corse;-). I think I go in the direction 80mm Kit, 120mm Macro, 28mm and HTS 1.5. I now, I would love the 100mm 2,2 but its to close to the 80 and 120mm (for the money in the moment). With this combo I think I could do much tings... rem

fotografz

Hm, what ist is to say about the pics in the post from woody campbell's with the HTS 1.5, esp. the last ones, view to the buildings and the crops... looks pretty soft and noisy..???http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10566&highlight=hts+1.5
Maybe those were done before Phocus 2?

Here is one of the shots I did for the Panoramic stitches I posted above.

It is the far right shift (past the 15 mark, so 18 or 19?)

Very little softness in the corners, but only at extreme enlargement and virtually undetectable in a large print. Maybe more on a full frame sensor, but I would expect that a bit given the 28mm and degree of shift. I have yet to experience the cyan shift even at the furthest point ... not that it won't happen ... I just haven't run into it yet in studio or outside. We'll see. Noise is not an issue, and wasn't with my H3D-II/39 prior to the H4D/40.

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Marc,

these samples look really very promising! I think the HTS and the 28 will become one of my standard landscape pieces of the H system. I know I should not write that here in this forum but I almost would dare to state that the HTS makes a Tech Cam pretty unnecessary - well start firing now :)

rem

Marc thank you so much for the samples, they looking so good! I will have next week the HTS and 28mm again to make some pictures. The camera should also be here next week. Yepeah!;-)

rem

Qualityquestion 50mm HC

Hi all, so I have the H4D 40 for about two weks now and im fallling in love!;-) With the lenses I tried so much and was not sure which ones to take. The last one I tried was thre 50mm and also with the HTS. I found the angle great (like a 39mm reportage lens or so on 35mm). So I bought this. But now I find the corners pretty soft... Is this normal or what for experiences have you all with your 50er? When i sharpening the picture with nik sharpener and print, that looks good, but just out of cam with 100 in Phocus... Or do I expect too much? My next lens will be the 28 and 120 (or evtl. 100mm & Ring, not in stock now in Switzerland). Happy Sunday to all! rem

fotografz

Qualityquestion 50mm HC

Hi all, so I have the H4D 40 for about two weks now and im fallling in love!;-) With the lenses I tried so much and was not sure which ones to take. The last one I tried was thre 50mm and also with the HTS. I found the angle great (like a 39mm reportage lens or so on 35mm). So I bought this. But now I find the corners pretty soft... Is this normal or what for experiences have you all with your 50er? When i sharpening the picture with nik sharpener and print, that looks good, but just out of cam with 100 in Phocus... Or do I expect too much? My next lens will be the 28 and 120 (or evtl. 100mm & Ring, not in stock now in Switzerland). Happy Sunday to all! rem
100 in Phocus is not much. I'd do a controlled tethered test on a flat subject and experiment with sharpening technique.

That said, the 50 isn't the best of the HC lenses ... but I like it for its small size and "reportage" angle-of-view when shooting environmental portraits and stuff like that.

IMO, if you want to use the HTS/1.5 for close-up work using tilt to increase DOF, get the 100/2.2 and tubes. The 28 is stellar on the HTS.

-Marc