The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX EVIL as an M8 alternative

Erik_A

The Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5 will be announced on May 11th

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/04/26/almost-official-sony-s-mirrorless-system-to-be-named-nex/

Do you think that this will be a decent alternative to the M8 with 21mm 2.8

The Sony has a 1.5x APS-C 14 megapixel ExmorHD sensor

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/sony-gives-nex3-and-nex5-names-to-its-first-ultra-compact-interc/

The 16mm F2.8 IS pancake lens will have a 24mm equivalent FOV.

I am thinking that for much less money I could get a decent wide-angle solution with much higher image quality than the M8 in a smaller size but with similar background blur as the M8 w/ 21mm.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
No, you won't have access to 75 years of Leica glass and most important, it's not a rangefinder.

V

Vivek

The cam looks like a pancake and not the lens. Unless any of these "EVIL" cams are going to offer a decent EVF and a swivel LCD screen, I am going to stick with Panasonic.

Well, there are even more reasons to stick with Panasonic...

Rawfa

If IQ is better than the E-P1 (more dynamic range, better high iso, better af speed...with the bonus of full Hd video with hopefully full manual control over it) and it can at least more or less match it's ergonomics this could be perfect for me.

Erik_A

No, you won't have access to 75 years of Leica glass and most important, it's not a rangefinder.
I agree I love Leica, however I don't really want my street camera to cost more than my car and (with the M8) have worse high ISO performance than a $500 camera. The crop factor 1.3 vs 1.5x is similar.

monza

If these Sony cams have the ability to work with adapted lenses, and if they are smart they will, then we'll most certainly see Leica glass on the NEX series.

Martin S

I think that in 12 days we will know a lot more, and you can begin to make an informed decision.

The Leica is far too expensive, and is more limited since it has a fixed 24 mm lens. This lens is not the same as a M, or R lens. Also, its AF speed is slow, and high ISO results are not spectacular. Also, I don't know if you want a rangefinder????

I am waiting till the SONY is reviewed by a reliable site before I make the jump. Several features sound interesting such as the Exmor sensor. But, I really need to see how well the entire package works, and the subsequent image results.

Martin

jaapv

Subscriber Member
What on earth is this thread doing in a Leica forum?:confused::confused: An M camera and this thing have only one thing in common - they take photographs. Totally boring....:sleep006:

Erik_A

I also plan to use Leica glass on the Sony NEX. I am not a "Leica Man" rather just care about the final image. If this light, tight box has a better sensor than the M8 - I am interested.

thrice

I plan to use it to shoot some short video with my Leica glass. I'm not a film maker by any means, but it's nice to have a high quality moving image record of events :) especially as I'm spending 6 weeks hiking in New Zealand in 6 months, and the NEX5+adapter would add negligibly to pack weight.

charlesphoto

Might be a better (read cheaper) alternative to the X1 but definitely has nothing to do with the M8/9. Not sure why people feel the need to try and fit round pegs into square holes....

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Might be a better (read cheaper) alternative to the X1 but definitely has nothing to do with the M8/9. Not sure why people feel the need to try and fit round pegs into square holes....
In the case of the X1 I don't think cheaper is going to mean better. It's just going to mean cheaper.

I've been shooting an X1 for a month and find it well worth the price and long wait.

Paratom

mothinagainst the new Sony.
But it is not ff, it is not a rangefinder, there are not many lens choices, we dont know how good or bad it works.
So I dont see too why comparing it with an M9?

V

Vivek

Not to be compared with an M9 (John's title says M8 since the crops are very close).

X1 has an older Sony sensor. The "NEX3/5" will have a newer Sony sensor. Hence, it is bound to be better than the X1. Being an interchangeable lens cam, more versatile than the X1 as well.

Paratom

Not to be compared with an M9 (John's title says M8 since the crops are very close).

X1 has an older Sony sensor. The "NEX3/5" will have a newer Sony sensor. Hence, it is bound to be better than the X1. Being an interchangeable lens cam, more versatile than the X1 as well.
still IMO totally different camera.
For me it is comparable to 4/3cameras with a little bit bigger sensor.

V

Vivek

Different cameras, yes. Could be better in many ways.

If the "NEX3-5" have something like the Sony A-450 (they sneaked yet another model while I was looking at the A500/550!:eek:), it is going to be better.

No major IR problems to start with....