The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thank's everybody!

aldo

I finally purchased the H4D-40 with HCD 4-5.6/35-90, HC 2.2/100 and HC 4/210. I'm a photographer from Mexico, and here is really hard to find somebody to demo a Phase one or Hasselblad gear so this forum made my decision of going to MFD a lot easier.

I read almost every post here and I just wanted to thank everybody that take the time to share their knowlege in this forum. I found specially helpful and genuine the comments of David Grover, fotografz, Quentin_Bargate, Doug Peterson, Steve Hendrix, david farkas, ptomsu, Jack Flesher, Guy Mancuso and many others.

I went from Leica S2 to P40+ to H4D-40 even Pentax 645D every day, but all your comments helped me to made my mind.

Of course I went to USA to test a P40+ with Ivan Pineda (Phase One Sales Manager for Latin America) and the H4D-40 with Chris Shipes (House of Victor) and I found both systems incredible but Hasselblad suited my needs better.

Anyway, I will start to participate in this forum more often, and I will try to share my experience with the H4D-40 and I will try to share RAW files, something that I found hard to find here...

Thanks everybody!

aldo

Congratulations!
Now, show us some pictures!
-bob
I've had the H4D-40 for two weeks now and I'm really happy with the IQ of the images that I've shot... not quite happy with phocus in tethered mode, it has been a completely nightmare, I'm also sad that I've had lens errors with the 35-90 (almost 2 out of 10 frames) that lens it's a tank and really started to like it, but I think I got a bad cooy, anyway I'm going to start another thread for that.

The IQ it's awesome, I've had no problems with the ergonomics (besides the old LCD screen) and the true focus works exaclty how they advertised it.

As I promised, I'm posting 7 images, also the raw file links if you want to look at them. The first 3 images are from a favor I made for a friend, his daughter graduated I took a couple portraits or her, nothing spectacular, everything handheld and really casual. I wanted to see how low I can go with the shutter speeds when shooting handheld, also I tried ISO 200 (really clean results to my taste), and I wanted to see how the 100mm works at 2.2 (I love shallow DOF).

The color rendition is awesome, something that I've been struggling with Nikon and Lightroom (even with the ColorChecker Passport)

The last 4 images are for a vegan receipts magazine, it's my first time shooting food and it's been harder shooting vegan food :LOL: so any comments are welcome. For that shots I used the 100mm with the 13mm extension tube, really nice combination, I also have the 56mm extension tube but thats for extreme close up as fotografz said.

I just adjusted the curves and white balance of the images, no PS. I hope this helps somebody.

HC 100, 1/180, f/2.2, ISO 100

HC 100, 1/350, f/2.2, ISO 200

HC 100, 1/160, f/2.2, ISO 100

HC 100, 13 mm Extension Tube, 1/800, f/2.2, ISO 100

HC 100, 13 mm Extension Tube, 1/500, f/2.8, ISO 100

HC 100, 13 mm Extension Tube, 1/500, f/4, ISO 100

HC 100, 13 mm Extension Tube, 1/800, f/4, ISO 100

The RAW file links (in the same order):

http://rapidshare.com/files/401418022/graduacion_lisa_familiares_0051.fff.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/401481923/graduacion_lisa_familiares_0056.fff.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/401487919/graduacion_lisa_familiares_0082.fff.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/401495926/RF_15_Junio_2010_0432.fff.html

...uploading the rest

aldo

Can you expand a bit on your 35-90 problems? I couldn't find the other thread you mention.
Sure... the lens optically is awesome, I don't have any primes to compare (35,50 or 80) but I happy with the lens performance. It's build like a tank but unfortunately I had issues with the leaf shutter (I think). The first time I use it was a nightmare, the camera kept showing "lens error" warnings, so I unmounted the lens and mount it again, restarted the camera with no luck. I was using it tethered so I disconected it and kept shooting and same thing, to the point I had to switch lens. I just looked at the files of that session and 21 out of 145 frames had the same issue... It looks like if the leaf shutter got stuck.

To be honest I almost sent the lens back to hasselblad but I gave it another try. The next photo shoot I got 5 bad frames out of 255, and after that I've shot something like 700 frames with no signs of the problem... so I'm not sure what happened.

Here I'm posting a couple screens of the images... look at the image info, It looks like it had something to do with the lens connectors because the aperture, lens and shutter data is missing (I'm guessing).

Nick-T

Hi Aldo
I think you are right I don't think the lens was fully locked in place (scary!0 either that or there was something on the contacts.
Nick-T