The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 + 8.5cm Summarex

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Added the 8.5cm Summarex to my M8 kit. Here are a few shots.

Dancing in Central Park

Terry

Charles aka Mssr. Eclectic,

Nice shots. I know nothing about this lens. Any more details about how old it is, what it is known for etc. etc.

Terry

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry

The Summarex is known for being big and heavy! So now when I mount the Summarex on the M8 I don't miss my DMR. ;) (Guilt Management 101)

It's an 85mm, aperture range f/1.5 to f/16. Soft and low contrast wide open. Improves by stopping down and according to Puts reaches optimum at f/11. Some flare. Dates from 1943/1948 with production stopping around 1954. Some were made in '43 but went to the German Army and maybe a few were sold to the public. After the war they were sold to the public and there was another production run beginning in '48.

Mine's chrome but check out the prices for black one's. :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Here it is on my M8 (with apologies to Marc for the less than stellar product shots):

View attachment 4640

View attachment 4641

D

Digital Dude

Truly intoxicating!:thumbs: Anyway, I would sure love to have a similar hood like that for my silver 24-Elmarit!

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Very nice indeed Charlie!

FWIW, if I had not found my 73 Hektor (f1.9, uncoated and hails from the early to mid 30's), the 85 Summarex was going to be my substitute choice for that "look"!