The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad system - need your advice

Valentin

Hi,

While I've been lurking for a while, this is my first post. I'm an event photographer (mainly weddings) and for the past 7yrs I've been shooting 35mm digitally. I don't plan on changing that :), but I would like to do something different.

My plan is to start shooting MF again, specifically I like the square format. When I shot MF, I was using the Bronica system. I would like to get either a Hassy or a Mamiya. Also, I would like something that I could potentially use it with a digital back as well at some point down the road. From the website, it seems that the 503CW fits the bill.

I found this for sale and I would like your opinion - $1900:

Hasselblad 503CW Chrome Medium Format
50mm lens
150 mm lens
5 backs
Hasselblad flash
Compete Outfit EXCELLENT++

I will also try to attach an image.

Here are the questions:

1. Price: is it good deal, fair price or overpriced?
2. Lenses: what kind of lenses are these (chrome)?
3. What should I look for? (aside from the obvious external condition)
4. Does it work with digital backs, untethered?
5. Can you get a prism that has a build in meter (I don't want to carry a light meter with me)?

Any other advice?

Your help is much appreciated.

Valentin

Valentin

So, 60 people later and nobody has any advice? :)

I know there are some very knowledgeable people in here and I would appreciate your input (or point me in the right direction).

Thanks,
Valentin

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
503 bodies are fairly recent in the V system....but lenses appear 20 years older and as the shutter is in the lens check all speeds carefully.

Both lenses look old...not T*?

Black T* LENSES are better coated and have better shutter springs. The most recent version changed spring to a product named 'Nivacron?' which was more robust. I would take an 80 T* and a couple of extension tubes over these any day.

However, you may get years of use without a problem...no way to guage the history of the used lenses.

Sean Cranor at CameraWest has a good selection of used Hasselblad V stuff at very reasonable prices....many of us have had great ongoing relationships with them.

http://www.camerawest.com/categories/usedProducts/12584/

You may also whant to try this in the analog section....probably more interest there.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Personally I shot the V for years and I would not go down this path if I was buying. I loved it with film and a lot of folks like it with digital but to me it is just going backwards. Also a lot of this is going to come down to what you shoot what you like and how much do you want to jump in with money. If your willing to go 12k you could go lightyears ahead of the V system and have a outstanding used kit in Hassy H or Phase systems. Or even buy a Contax even though it is no longer made it still is a very popular kit for MF shooters. I just would not go back to the V as to me some lenses are good but a lot where just okay. I know I say that with some folks getting mad at me but if I have the money in hand I would be going for the latest and greatest I could get my hands on

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Personally I shot the V for years and I would not go down this path if I was buying. I loved it with film and a lot of folks like it with digital but to me it is just going backwards. Also a lot of this is going to come down to what you shoot what you like and how much do you want to jump in with money. If your willing to go 12k you could go lightyears ahead of the V system and have a outstanding used kit in Hassy H or Phase systems. Or even buy a Contax even though it is no longer made it still is a very popular kit for MF shooters. I just would not go back to the V as to me some lenses are good but a lot where just okay. I know I say that with some folks getting mad at me but if I have the money in hand I would be going for the latest and greatest I could get my hands on
Guy,

I have a closet full of 120, 220 and 35mm film stock that is aging gracefully...after shooting MFDB I cannot go back. But unless you have the requisite funds analog still offers a look that can be duplicated in digital but only with time and experience.

My first digital back was a P20 for the H system that cost 6K...thought I was crazy when I bought it but when I saw the files I was hooked...you know the progression from there.

Abandon hope all who pass this threshold.....

You advice is sound, for those who have the entry fee.

Bob

Valentin

You advice is sound, for those who have the entry fee.

Bob
Thank you Guy.

Bob is right on the money :) ... I don't want to spend that kind of coin. I don't want to switch systems (at least not at this time) so it doesn't make business sense to spend that much for what would basically be an added service/product.

I am looking for something that works with both film and digital for the added flexibility (in case later I want to add a digital back). It seems that the V system fits that bill. I'm not familiar with it so that is why I asked here.

I want to start shooting MF for 2 reasons:

1. For myself; to keep myself interested in this profession
2. To differentiate myself in my market. Film is one way :) , but mostly would be the different format.

Thanks again for your input. It's much appreciated.

ggriswold

I would agree with Guy on this... I shot with a 500 C/M and a Phase One P21+ for about a year.
Overall I got great shots and it does work but:
1) The sync cable from the lens to the back gets to be a hassle.
2) The older Hassy bodies seem to generate more dust from old foam and light absorbing materials than say a Mamiya. Add to that that, the rear curtains flap up and down resulting in turbulence that stirs all of this crud up. I finally resorted to putting double stick tape on the rear curtains to catch the particles... yes, it actually helped.
3) Upkeep and maintenance ... most of the C series lenses are due for a CLA and so all of mine took a trip to David Odess for that work. If you get a bargain on Hasselblad stuff you will pay as much to get it in tip-top shape. David has used gear for sale that is ready to go for years. I think there are some parts issues just around the corner with some of these lenses.

Bottom line (this is painful because I shot square for the first 30 years of my photo life)is to score a Mamiya (AFDII or better) and pick up a good back. Capture Integration has what I believe is my old P21+ in a Mamiya mount for a song... $4900. Never abused and a great performer. Hope this helps. What it boils down to in this "land of the damned" is figure out what you want to spend, then double it.

The only thing that would make this niche of photography even worse is if you got the first one free...

fotografz

Thank you Guy.

Bob is right on the money :) ... I don't want to spend that kind of coin. I don't want to switch systems (at least not at this time) so it doesn't make business sense to spend that much for what would basically be an added service/product.

I am looking for something that works with both film and digital for the added flexibility (in case later I want to add a digital back). It seems that the V system fits that bill. I'm not familiar with it so that is why I asked here.

I want to start shooting MF for 2 reasons:

1. For myself; to keep myself interested in this profession
2. To differentiate myself in my market. Film is one way :) , but mostly would be the different format.

Thanks again for your input. It's much appreciated.
As a 30+, year veteran of using a Hasselblad V system. My advice would be to step into it slowly. Get a basic chrome trim 501CM or 503CW kit with a black T* 80/2.8 and a couple of A12 film backs. Try to get the backs that have the dark slide holder built in. When getting the backs check that the housing and film insert have the same serial number ... they are matched at the factory. Look for a PME45 finder ...not the newer one, the previous model ... it is actually easier and faster to use, as well as less expensive.

The difference between a 501CM and 503CW is the 503CW has a TTL flash meter built in (not an exposure meter) ... otherwise they are basically the same camera. If you intend on using flash let me know here, and I can fill you in on the various flash choices. I even have some for sale.

If you decide on the 503CW, look for one that has the TTL flash ISO dial that goes to 1600. Previous ones went to 800. Not only does it indicate that it's a newer model, there is a practical reason to get it as it allows a better range of flash compensation ... with some flash units, the 503CW flash ISO dial is the only way to comp the flash plus/minus output for fill or back-lit situations.

If you take to the camera and like what you see, then add a 50mm and 150 ... or 120 macro ... and you'll have most everything covered.

I no longer use a V having only recently sold it all off, but only because I shoot professionally and needed AF as well as more diverse features available on the 645 type systems. More importantly, I couldn't continue to upgrade digital backs for two different type of systems.

I disagree with Guy ... if I was just shooting for myself I'd still be using a V ... even though I now have high-end Hasselblad H4 Products with digital backs, the V produced just as good image quality as most anything out there. It didn't suddenly become crap just because other stuff came on the scene. Best bang for the buck going these days IMO.

Plus, because of the renewed interest in film photography, Kodak has recently announced new, and even better films. Doesn't sound like its dead to me.

-Marc

Last edited:

Seascape

Plus, because of the renewed interest in film photography, Kodak has recently announced new, and even better films. Doesn't sound like its dead to me.

-Marc
Ummm, how about Vinyl records and mechanical watches.......some things do look much better after people get by the "latest thing" hype :rolleyes:

darr

I am looking for something that works with both film and digital for the added flexibility (in case later I want to add a digital back).
I would look at the Mamiya RZ II or IID for this. Cheaper and Mamiya is running a promotion at this time.

Valentin

...Get a basic chrome trim 501CM or 503CW kit with a black T* 80/2.8 and a couple of A12 film backs. Try to get the backs that have the dark slide holder built in. When getting the backs check that the housing and film insert have the same serial number ... they are matched at the factory. Look for a PME45 finder ...not the newer one, the previous model ... it is actually easier and faster to use, as well as less expensive....
-Marc
Thank you so much Marc. This is exactly what I was looking for. Since I'm not familiar with the system, I have no idea what to look for.

I plan to use this new system outdoors so the flash use will be limited (maybe fill).

I really appreciate all the information.

T

tetsrfun

Any other advice?

I am just a hobbyist but I have a fair amount of "V" system equipment. I wouldn't buy what I see in the photo...the lenses are old, the film backs are several generations out of date, the prism finder is old, etc. etc..

Do research!!!! For "V"system, buy a used copy of Ernst Wildi's "The Hasselblad Manual" the older 5th edition is probably the best for "V" and buy a copy of Richard Nordin's "Hasselblad System Compendium"..both can be usually found of e-bay.

Look through the "stock" of used MF gear at KEH.com. You will get a general picture of what "fair" pricing is, perhaps somewhat higher than e-bay or private sale but they are trustworthy.

I think Marc has set you on the right path..start slow, buy by the piece rather than "sets" and get late model equipment if you can budget for it. If you know the serial number of the Hasselblad camera or lenses, you can go the Hasselblad Historical web site and get year of manufacture.

A piece of Hasselblad equipment may appear to be cheap at the sale but if it doesn't work properly, the cost of repair will quickly make a "good deal" go sour. The older "C' lenses pictured last "forever" however parts are no longer available, such as shutter springs, etc.

Good luck:

Steve

bensonga

Any other advice?

I am just a hobbyist but I have a fair amount of "V" system equipment. I wouldn't buy what I see in the photo...the lenses are old, the film backs are several generations out of date, the prism finder is old, etc. etc..

Do research!!!! For "V"system, buy a used copy of Ernst Wildi's "The Hasselblad Manual" the older 5th edition is probably the best for "V" and buy a copy of Richard Nordin's "Hasselblad System Compendium"..both can be usually found of e-bay.

Look through the "stock" of used MF gear at KEH.com. You will get a general picture of what "fair" pricing is, perhaps somewhat higher than e-bay or private sale but they are trustworthy.

I think Marc has set you on the right path..start slow, buy by the piece rather than "sets" and get late model equipment if you can budget for it. If you know the serial number of the Hasselblad camera or lenses, you can go the Hasselblad Historical web site and get year of manufacture.

A piece of Hasselblad equipment may appear to be cheap at the sale but if it doesn't work properly, the cost of repair will quickly make a "good deal" go sour. The older "C' lenses pictured last "forever" however parts are no longer available, such as shutter springs, etc.

Good luck:

Steve
+1

The 503CW is great.....older lenses etc, not so much.

Gary

Valentin

... I wouldn't buy what I see in the photo...the lenses are old, the film backs are several generations out of date, the prism finder is old, etc. etc..

Do research!!!! For "V"system, buy a used copy of Ernst Wildi's "The Hasselblad Manual" the older 5th edition is probably the best for "V" and buy a copy of Richard Nordin's "Hasselblad System Compendium"..both can be usually found of e-bay....

Steve
Thank you Steve. My research found this place :) which proves to be a great place and resource for MF (and other systems) users.

Valentin

Maybe I should ask this from a different perspective:

What would be the best setup if you want to shoot both film and digital (MF of course)?

I would like to gather as much information I can. This way, when I go to PhotoPlus I can take a closer look at the systems available.

All the information so far it's been very valuable and I appreciate it.

Valentin

T

tetsrfun

What would be the best setup if you want to shoot both film and digital (MF of course)?
What is your budget?? If I were starting with a clean slate and as a hobbyist who wanted to get into MF....I would think seriously about of one of the "deals" on a H3DII-31 kit for $11,995 or the body and 31MP back for $9,995 and shop for used HC lenses. No film but I suspect once you start working with MF digital files that film will become less important. I should add that $9,995 was what I paid for my 16 MP CFV digital back just a few years ago.

Steve

Dustbak

If you would want to use both film as well as digital. If it were me I would go for either a H3 (version 1) or a H2F with CF back. Both of these can use film as well as digital backs (the H3DII cannot use film).

I went from V, to H2F and now to H4D. After the H2F I have used less than 5 rolls...

The V simply was too annoying and difficult for my commercial work compared to the ease of use of the H. The 503CW I used as well, that is a lovely body. Indeed the lenses and the filmbacks appear to be really dated. Personally if I would want this set I would want the body and pass on the lenses and filmbacks.

For personal work with film I would have stayed with the V.

H3dtogo

I have a great Sinarback E22 with Hasselblad H1 + 2 filmbacks+prismfinder and 80mm for sale for less than 5800 euro. It is a grea entry in MF as it uses the same sensor as the later Aptus5 and Emotion 22Mp backs that are still sold new. I can also make a kit with a 150mm or a CF adapter.