The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 28mm out for a ride

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well my favorite spot to test out lenses , yes you have all seen them before but this time with the big gun and it really shows how much power is in MF backs. The detail is just amazing, I am just floored. Anyway i took out the 28mm 4.5 apsh D lens today that Lance and Doug sent me to play with. I shot it in San Juan and it certainly has the juice and the color , saturation and detail are all there. But in the extreme corners on most images it is a touch soft even at F16 and 22 so i would like to call this lens a 30mm instead and if the corners are not a issue than no problem. This is a very hard lens to design in this focal length and there expensive just like the Hassy 28mm there a special breed these two lenses and they both have corrections in each of there software packages . C1 has corrections already built in for the 28,35 and 45 lenses, which is really nice. But the damn thing is a razor blade . Even though it has the slight shortcomings in the corners i still would like to have it. I think I need to borrow another ski mask for the bank.

Just some mundane shots extremely early this morning color temp 4400 that is how early . No WB just some highlight and shadow stuff

Guy Mancuso

This are around F11 to 22 shot at ISO 100. Now don't mind the dingbat in the shots just does not realize he needs to get the heck out of the way.

Terry

I'm impressed that the dingbat was actually using a tripod! We all know it is your favorite accessory.

Guy Mancuso

I'm impressed that the dingbat was actually using a tripod! We all know it is your favorite accessory.
Yea use the Tripod on the 28mm shots but the dingbat goes free hand with a 300mm . Torture test or just plain lazy

First one wide open 300 mm 4.5 lens. Second one at 6.8 all handheld . i got lazy

Guy Mancuso

This lens does do a nice job just need to justify it's cost and use. Something to think about later on for sure

Dale Allyn

This lens is very attractive to me, Guy. Just need to find one with the serial numbers ground off! :D

Really, I'm thrilled that Mamiya are offering some premium glass along with some very affordable and usable glass as well.

Thanks for posting these.

D

DougDolde

Looks very good Guy. I particularly like the second from the last image.

Guy Mancuso

Seems to hold the strong front light fairly well. One nice thing is the corrections for purple fringing and CA with this lens. Not much here but a shot I did in San Juan really needed it and it clean up amazingly well. This is not a small lens either about the size of a 24-70 and expensive but like Dale said i like having both the expensive glass and there normal glass in the lineups. i would expect now Mamiya and Phase are tied together we will see a lot more coming in the D series. I still want the 150 2.8 D

Dale Allyn

I was thinking to ask about CA correction with this lens. The second from the last shot (top of post #6) seemed like a potential candidate at mid to upper left.

Guy Mancuso

Dale it actually looks like I have some moire in this one. CA and Purple fringe did not solve it . Not sure though

Dale Allyn

There might be some moire', but I'm not sure. Some of the CA is very blue, rather than rather typical cyan or magenta/purple. It looks like you have at least three hues of CA there.

I don't know anything (or at least very little) about moire' correction, but this strong of CA is the type that I've not seen RAW converters fix. I've had to isolate the areas affected and desaturate the appropriate channels. It can be a lot of work, as I'm sure you know. The gift of current digital capture I guess.

PeterA

I made a few shots late this afternoon with my new 28...100 ISO @ 1/20th

the second is a 100% crop - I am happy with corner to corner sharpness with this lens - not bad for a MF lens...btw look at the face drawn into the O in NO -:bugeyes: ( the only sharpening used was bicubic sharper for downsizing save for web in CS3..)

an H body with a 28 or a 100 is a great street machine - I say that about all cameras I like using LOL..

RGoldman

Now there's another expensive addition to my want(need?) list. Guess I need to go mow some lawns and start putting the pennies in a big, no HUGE, jar. Maybe I could pick up a late night paper route too. Who needs to sleep.....

I see some dust on the new back Guy. I have not cleaned mine yet but it's time and I need to finally get up the nerve to do it. Never bothered me cleaning the DSLR's, but I am a little nervous about the DB!

Guy Mancuso

Just make sure the pads are wet and don't run any dry spots over the sensor. I still think you can use the sensor swaps just run two passes. I did get a nice two solution kit from Phase but yet to try it, guess it is time

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, that lens obviously sucks. You should send it to me just to confirm.

:D,

Guy Mancuso

LOL To late i sent it back to CI before i had any more thoughts on it right now. LOL

I buy that right now i would just hand my wife the 45 and say shoot me and i would leave a note to absolve her of those actions. LOL

Police would agree that is what scares me