The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor season

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
There's a nice rumor over at the FM forum about a leak of a brochure about an FX sensor based prosumer sized "D700" DSLR.
Would be even nicer if it were true.
I want it. The brochure .-)

K

K3N

For some reason, I was so happy to see the news about the Nikon D700 even though I have a M8 and am very happy with it. I think I'm going to buy it. :thumbs:

jonoslack

HI Steen
Thanks for this - it looks interesting, the slight surprise is that the body looks rather like a D200 . . . I'd expect something more like the F6 body, or simply the D3 body with the grip removed.

Announcement on July 1st? Maybe?
sounds good anyway.

deepdiver

It's really nice, if Nikon really come out with this one (I called it Mini D3)
I always wanted to have a small DSLR with Full Frame Sensor :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks very interesting , not sure it is true but a FF D300 size camera to compete with the 5D is good for the industry, no question.

jonoslack

Looks very interesting , not sure it is true but a FF D300 size camera to compete with the 5D is good for the industry, no question.
HI Guy
I don't think it's true either, but I'm quite sure that something will be along soon.
Personally, I'd like to see it in the F6 body . . . . or the D3 body with the grip cut off - and I think it will be necessary because of the larger pentaprism needed for full frame. (which is one reason why I'm not totally convinced by this).
I think we'll see a 'D3x' pretty soon, it would be nice to see 'cut down' versions of both of these. Here's hoping.

In the meantime the D3 gets picked up most of the time - because it ALWAYS comes up with the goods.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) it looks interesting, the slight surprise is that the body looks rather like a D200 (...)
probably is a D200 :D

the front of the viewfinder on picture # 3 does not at all look like the big FX viewfinder, which by the way would be my only serious reason for really wanting the camera :(

Ben Rubinstein

It's the 3D that canonites have been praying for over the past 6 years or so! The 5D mkII will be a 40D with 16 megapixels, please pardon my yawns!

A

asabet

More D700 info and word of four new Nikkor lenses here.

I'm was guessing it's real, but on second thought the typos suggest otherwise, and I don't know what kind of sense a 45mm macro tilt-shiift lens makes. Lot of work for a fake though!

robmac

+1 - I use Canon but all the Canon fanboys/girls keep hoping for some mini-1Ds2 (sealed, , higher fps, 16mp or so, etc). In short, a complete departure from C's long-established upgrade history.

5DII = 40D and a 5D hit a cheap motel outside the Vegas strip. A couple extra MP (primarily marketing driven but minimum necessary to try and keep high ISO performance), LV, maybe bigger buffer, etc.

I have no intention up moving there from my 1Ds2 myself, but a 'concern' for me would be if C decides to dial-up the ISO performance to take on the D3/D700 and ends up farting around with the NR firmware and AA filter so much that a lot of fine detail that the 5D was known for and alternate glass shooters treasure gets sacrificed on the alter of ISO 6400 shots.

If things play out as I suspect, I think Nikon can count on a lot of 5D converts to the D700.

harmsr

Workshop Member
More D700 info and word of four new Nikkor lenses here.

I'm was guessing it's real, but on second thought the typos suggest otherwise, and I don't know what kind of sense a 45mm macro tilt-shiift lens makes. Lot of work for a fake though!
We know that the 45 T/S Nikon is real and so is a new 85 T/S. They were both shown as prototypes in the Nikon booth at PMA this year.

Ray

A

asabet

Thanks Ray. I guess a macro T/S does have some interesting possibilities that I hadn't considered before. I'm back to thinking the D700 is real :).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's one more hoping for a digital camera in the F6 body. That's the best body Nikon has made ever, and it feels like such a waste limiting to the film edition. Or maybe it's a trick, to convince people like me that I should get an F6 as well :)

Jorgen, from rainy Hanoi

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
According to the website of one of the biggest danish dealers it is now official that Nikon will meet the press the 1st of July.
They mention the D700 rumor but stress that nothing has been confirmed from Nikon so far.
Still they say you can preorder by email or phone.
Probably some people who are going to be surprised when they realize they have preordered a D90 :D

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Rumor site Nikon Watch pointed to a page on the UK Digital Depot website which says:

Nikon will be announcing the new Nikon D700 on Monday 30th June!

Check back soon for details, images & specifications.​

I've been skeptical about the mobile phone photos taken at the Chinese printer's but I'm no longer skeptical about the "D700".

Looking at the beautiful ISO 10000 wedding images that fotografz posted in the Nikon/Canon "Smack Down." And the winner is ... thread, I can't imagine anything sweeter -- for my needs -- than that D3 sensor in a D300 body.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The viewfinder would be my reason to consider upgrading to the D700, or adding it to my present D300.
If the viewfinder is exactly as big and bright and good as the D3 viewfinder (or better) and has the same design including the arrow features for manual focusing I might make the jump.
But so far I fear it is not exactly the same finder. Judged from the leaked brochure photos of the front of the D700 the finder for some weird reason looks smaller than the D3 finder, which worries me :(

Last edited:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
If the viewfinder is exactly as big and bright and good as the D3 viewfinder (or better) and has the same design including the arrow features for manual focusing I might make the jump.
Excellent point! I'd just assumed that the D700 would have a revamped viewfinder, which would make manual focusing easier than it is with the D300. Though perhaps my assumption is just wishful thinking. Now you've got me crossing my fingers that the new model will have the manual focusing arrows. Let's hope that Nikon haven't decided to keep that as a differentiating feature for the D3.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(snip) Now you've got me crossing my fingers that the new model will have the manual focusing arrows. Let's hope that Nikon haven't decided to keep that as a differentiating feature for the D3.
Exactly !
If the D700 viewfinder turns out to be anything less than the D3 finder I see no reason to upgrade.
In that case I will waite for the D800 which cannot be all that far away :D