The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M8 IR-Compatibility Lens listing: IR hotspot or not

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Leica 21mm Elmarit ASPH - NO HOTSPOT (but significant vignetting which is to be expeced)

robsteve

Subscriber
The 24mm has a hot spot when shooting IR. I tested mine a few months ago. I don't think any of the modern ASPH lenses don't have a hot Spot.

There is a thread at the top of this forum listing lenses and their compatibility with IR.

Regards,

Robert

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Or, just use the M8's Tungsten WB setting.
yes, it does have one.
-bob

etrigan63

Ooh good guess on my part! I did try with the Tungsten setting and here is what I got:

What could I do to improve this?

V

Vivek

Carlos,

You could try this (photoshop)

1. Selective color-

->Magenta ->slide magenta to -100
->Blue -> slide Yellow to +100
->Black -> slide Black to +35

2. Saturation

3. Shadows/Highlights

Highlights to 70%

This starts to look with little magenta.

V

Vivek

Thanks for posting it Carlos. :)

(I don't like to post modified images of others, even when asked).

jev

Just got Avenon 21mm f2.8 from Japan (i think it was branded in US a Kobalux)
Became my favorite lens for IR work, no hot spots or flare

here is a sample
Calchaquíes Valley, Salta Argentina (infrared)

Lloyd

Here's one with the CV 15/4.5 Superwide @ f4.5.

I just held my 52mm Hoya R72 over the lens. Wide open = no hot spot:

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
24 mm Elmar 3.8 No hotspot. Infinity focus is between f4.0 and 5.6. Slightly soft at 3.8 - very sharp at 5.6. Very good IR lens.

D&A

Hi All,

What I am finding both from my brief experience with the M8 and Hoya R72...is that with the R72 specifically, one cannot get the "white trees/blue skies" effect that Carlos was able to demonstrate. Carlos, I presume you got that effect (the one you showed in your two posted images) from your B&W 092 filter, not R72. It seems for false color IR, the B&W 092 lets in far more visable light (along with UV) than the Hoya R72. With the R72, color images are predominantly red/magenta and no amount of photoshop adjustment so far has been able to give me blue skies (and magenta or white leaves)...nothing even close. Both filters are excellent for B&W IR, with the R72 having a bit stornger effect. B&W's 093 filter lets virtually no visable light in...so almost no false color with color IR images...but sticking black skies with B&W IR.

Carlos (and anyone else)...have you been able to get blue skies/white leaves effect with the M8 and R72...or just using a B&W 092 with your M8?? I want to confirm this. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

ampguy

IR temp question for experts

Does temperature affect the images with say an M8, tungsten WB setting, and a Hoya R72 filter, on a lens without hot spots?

For example, say a landscape scene with both live and dead foliage, sky is exactly same grey. Would a temp of 10 deg. F look different than one at 30 deg. F. assuming moisture levels are the same?

L

Larry 47

I just received a Zeiss 25mm f2.8 Biogon for my M8.2. I tested it with my Hoya R-72 Filter. No hot spot. Very sharp at f5.6. Excellent results at ISO 320 +2/3 EV.

etrigan63

Cv 35mm Nokton f/1.4 MC has a hotspot @ f/8. I will have to try at more wide open settings. Still it is very manageable.