The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Lenses should I consider purchasing to make sure it SWIRLS 100% :))

JSK Rangefinder

I've been looking at numbers of thread on the web mostly on GetDPI photographing your bokeh thread.. and I couldn't find consistency in one single lens.. obviously it is subject dependent and I am aware of that, but I would love to se if some of you have consistent results or if you can post some links or blogs of the guy that do it consistently..

of course, I can always do it in post processing.. but thats not what I'm looking for.. thanks

ps: any suggestions on what Micro 4/3rds Camera should I get would be appreciated!!!

JSK Rangefinder

I assume you're referring to swirly bokeh? I found 25mm c-mount lenses are a great way to get this look when you open the aperture wide (my f1.9 did a fine job). It does depend highly on your subject matter though--you need contrasting light against dark point lights in the background to really notice it well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/sets/72157623223508339/detail/

Here's one of my fav's:
thank you that is exactly what i'm referring to.. thats a
very nice swirly bokeh you have there :thumbup:

JSK Rangefinder

some interesting samples.. HERE

not sure if some members here would have samples with people as the main subject and the swirl bokeh in the background..

H

hawaiigent

Next time I go for an eye check I got to ask Dr Ing how come I don't see swirly bokeh or even creamy bokeh. Will he refer me to Behavioral Medicine? Interesting that Tesselator suggested old Tessar forumula. This would be a common four element lens with a standard old fashioned between the lens elements iris. So is the OOF effect we yearn for due to 1) optical design. 2) Number of blades in the IRIS, as in the latest ED SWD lenses? Or a combination of both. Or,- is OOF due to a confluence of focus distance, subject matter and nature of the light? If it were a product of the lens choice, then the cheaper the lens, the better the "bokeh." I confess that when I see what is loosely termed The Bokeh, I do not have an appreciation of its elegant variations. It took society a while to dig cubism, so not a blot on the bokeh photo art field at all...
But still learning, lifelong-wise. Aloha,
Gerry with a G

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Maybe you would like the chaotic swirl of my Leitz Summarex 8.5cm f/1.5.

But it can be calm sometimes, too.

Pat Donnelly

Hi
Great examples of swirl by one and all!

Tell me though, should one warn that a c mount lens may vignette? I notice most appear, quite rightly, to have been cropped. The point was to show the swirl. It is just that on another forum, it appears it is necessary to warn all readers that lenses may vignette!

Any views?

ggibson

Are you talking about when describing the lens for a sale? I don't think it's really necessary anyways.

I think pretty much all of the ~25mm lenses vignette, but cover the m4/3 sensor enough that dark corners can be pulled back up in post-processing (wide open anyways--stopped down, cropping will be necessary).

Pat Donnelly

Actually, I was alerting fellow members to c mount zooms on fleabay in a moderately secure part of the forum and in some posts I had said vignetting was to be expected, but that on the Pannys, they could get full coverage by digital zoom or ETC.

Two members thought I was trying deliberately, apparently, to mislead people! I let it go but then when it happened again, I challenged the main culprit. So posts were then removed. Since then, no problems, but it seems some members, very experienced, get petulant when they do not get the results others post, as another has said, obviously cropped!

They felt aggrieved. And took it out on me the only one posting about c mount zooms!

Only one or two as I say but it became unpleasant. I haven't sold any zooms, nor any lens for two years. Nor will I, c mount at any rate! They are for my family after I go. And my own use. They are very well worth while even as they increase in price! That forum was becoming a great place for friendly info, but no apology!

Thanks for allowing the rant!

W

Willabeast

I just got a 25mm CCTV lens with great swirl from eBay. It seems well built. Markings state: Lomo. MC. 25mm 1:1.4 HDTV I paid $36 including adapter and 2 macro rings so you can't go wrong!

Wide open it gives great swirl but also vignettes in the corners. Personally I like that but it's a matter of personal preference and I won't try to win you over.

Check http://www.flickr.com/photos/willaslater/sets/72157627183921731/with/5987722116/ for examples, if you like. These are lens test shots so I'm not laying claim to any artistic merit! Also, when I shot these I hadn't realized I could use focus assist/zoom with manual focus lens! That focus assist is such a boon for the nearly blind!

RichA

In my limited experience, the faster the lens the worse the swirl? So go fast!
It's more design, than speed. My Schneider 25mm f0.95 doesn't do it. It seemsto be more prominent in the lenses not designed to support an entire 16mm format size.