The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Test run of Rollei lenses, wide open, on 80MP sensor

Graham Mitchell

Those who think these old lenses aren't up to standard for 80MP digital sensors might be in for a surprise.

Here's a quick run through of my lenses (except the 150mm which is in storage), all shot wide open in my kitchen.

I might not have nailed absolutely perfect focus (it's 2am here!) so please bear that in mind. And also bear in mind that these are shot wide open, where resolving power of the lens is at its lowest.

Would love to try some of the latest generation AFD lenses on this camera!

40mm @ f3.5:

crop:

processed with Leaf Capture:

80mm @ f2.8:

crop:

110mm @ f2:

crop:

180mm @ f2.8:

crop:

Last edited:

Geoff

Thanks for posting this. I too have found most of the older lenses just wonderful. The 40 is crisp, and the 80 2.8 AF very sharp too.

Seascape

Again we see why the 110 2.0 is a classic lens.......oh that beautiful OOF image.

Thanks for posting.

Graham Mitchell

I just tried processing a file in Leaf Capture. It actually seems more detailed than the Capture One images posted originally, so I have added the Leaf versions too.

Last edited:

Anders_HK

Hi Graham,

Thanks for posting these. Interesting to see how the 80MP works with your lens set up. The 110 is the Zeiss Planar, but are the 40, 80 and 180 the Zeiss or Schneider versions? In addition to Leaf Capture was that using Lightroom or Capture One?

I only have a single lens for my Hy6 and may or may not buy one more - the one I have is simply that good for what I aim to use this system for: 80mm 2.8 Xenotar AFD PQ. My judgement is that it is the best lens I have ever owned and best portrait system I have ever used. It is not only that the lens is sharp (I had that in Mamiya) but it has a beautiful and interesting rendering and the most interesting and pleasing character of any lens I have owned. That is not to say that it is superior to the other PQ Xenotar, I have no idea. What www.rolleiflexpages.com states is:

"AFD lenses are optically and mechanically identical to their AF counterparts, with the exception of the aperture ring missing on the AFD lenses."

"Glass for AFD lenses is said to be picked from among the top tier."

Thus I am not sure if you would gain much or not, likely the lenses you already have are stellar.

Being merely an amateur, I am relieved from having a system that with even only one lens gives me so much for photography. It is not about latest gear or even many gear which I have come to find tiring, but simply having less and of high quality to enable focus more and better on photography! The out of focus bokeh is wonderful on the AFD Xenotar and the character varies with aperture and background distance. In some shots it can even appear to swirl tad like a Petzval. :)

It is interesting reading your posts, because as a professional you can squeeze more out of a system than us amateurs who not use a camera regularly. I believe you are destined to make the Hy6 with Afi 12 truly sing :D.

Enjoy the new tool and best luck on it for your work! :thumbs:

Regards
Anders

Stefan Steib

Graham -
just out of curiosity: you probably did not make a white shot or use any LCC on these files - right ? :)

Exactly what I think - these lenses were/are very good.
I have a friend who had built himself an adapter to step down his Rollei lenses so he can use them on his sinar P2. Stunning results !
technically it is not that difficult, but it draws a LOT of power, you will need a 9volt Block battery - which has to be put somewhere. On the Sinar there is enough space on the back of the front plate, for a MF it is a bit more difficult to handle this.
I have some customers buggings us for over a year now to do this as an adapter, if we have a bit of spare time we will certainly do this.

Stefan Steib - hcam.de

David K

Workshop Member
Having shot those lenses for many years... no surprise here. My experience is that the older lenses are just as good as the AFD versions. Best of luck with the new kit!!!

thrice

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I'm interested in the performance of the 50mm f/2.8 Af pqs.

Especially curious how it performs wide open with respect to coma and corner sharpness?