The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 what do you use

woodyspedden

I copied this thread from the Buy and Sell since it got into a very nice topic of what you go out with to shoot in regards to gear and the M8. I can't delete this first post since it will delete the whole thread so ignore the first images. Thanks Guy

Please see the Buy and sell section for the actually gear for sale

David K

Workshop Member
Re: M8 and lenses for sale

Sweeeeet stuff Woody. Agree with you wholeheartedly about the 28 cron. Good luck with your sale.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

This is a spectacular Leica lens selection. Good luck with your sale, Woody, but I'm sorry to see you selling your M8.

neils

Gotta ask why. Why sell all this. Must be that serious MF itch right?

Neil

woodyspedden

Gotta ask why. Why sell all this. Must be that serious MF itch right?

Neil
Pretty much right Neil. After spending the kind of bucks I did for the H3DII-39, and after seeing the results, the H3 is my landscape camera of choice. And for all images that will ultimately be printed large.

For general purpose work, including macro and telephoto and low light, the Nikon is just hard to beat. Granted the files are not up to M8 standards but close enough for what I need.

So the issue is whether it makes any economic sense to hold on to all this wonderful M series stuff. I am keeping my M6TTl's (2) and the M3 and a gaggle of CV lenses and the Leica 21 Elmarit, 50 pre-asph and the 85 Summarex. I will continue to shoot M shots, just not M8. So that is the logic.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I fear you're going to regret this Woody...

:banghead:,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

You can have my M8 when you can pry it from my cold, dead hands.
That is unless a successor comes along... :)
-bob

mwalker

Subscriber Member

Jack, Do you know something that we don't or is that just a general feeling :D ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jack, Do you know something that we don't or is that just a general feeling :D ?
Nope, but I know Woody and I've seen his images from both systems... What I am alluding to is that for right now, the M8 is an excellent imaging tool and one Woody generated many excellent images from. Sure, his auto-everything Nikon is easier to use, but frankly the rangefinder is a different tool for different purposes... (And IMO the files from the Nikon are not nearly as nice to work with as the M8's...)

Moreover, even *IF* an M9 is released (which I doubt will be this year BTW), it is likely the IR leak issue will be resolved at the sensor. This means the M8 may be one of the only cameras viable for generating BOTH visible and IR images via appropriate filter selection, and thus makes it a pretty desirable imaging tool IMO...

Cheers,

woodyspedden

Well Jack, you may well be right. AS I stated earlier, this is not about anything negative about the M8 but rather that I now have a landscape tool in my H3 which allows me to do the work that I want. I know you remember the sunset shot of Half Dome from our workshop in Yosemite. I can't imagine the file would have been anything but better with the Hassy. It better be or I have truly wasted $40K+!

Frankly, I would love to keep all three systems but I can't really justify it. I do love the Nikons FOR WHAT THEY DO WELL but have never pretended the files are as good as the M8. But they fill the need for macro, telephoto, speed of shooting, high ISO performance etc that cannot be dealt with by either the M8 or the Hassy H3.

As I also said, I am not selling all of my lenses. I am keeping the CV's (12,15,25 snapshot, 35 1.2, and 35 1.4) and the Leica 21 Elmarit, 50 Lux pre-asph, 50 elmar, and the wonderful 85 Summarex. I have three film bodies, two M6TTL and the M3 (with a still working Leicameter) so particularly for black and white I have the tools to create wonderful Leica images. Oh, and I forgot to mention I also have the Zeiss 28 and 35. Did I mention I had too many lenses!!! God I am sick.

And if I am wrong about the decision to sell the M8, I guess i will buy another. There are plenty to be had from dealer demos to pristine copies on the used market. I'll lose some money in the process but not seriously so. Frankly the 21 Elmarit, 50 Lux pre and the 85 Summarex will take care of 90% of my particular needs. So either with film or digital, I am still in Leica business.

By the way does this sound like a rationalization because i need the money for higher priority gear?.................Thought so!

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Woody,

I hear you on the glass and understand selling off the superfluous items, but frankly if it were me I would sell off two of your film bodies (probably both M6's) and keep the M8 --- in that way you have the best of all worlds :)

Cheers,

woodyspedden

O.K. Jack

Even with all my rationalization I fear you are really right about the M8 so I am withdrawing if from sale.

The lenses remain for sale with the 90 Macro, 50 Cron and 135 APO/Telyt remaining.

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

O.K. Jack

Even with all my rationalization I fear you are really right about the M8 so I am withdrawing if from sale.

The lenses remain for sale with the 90 Macro, 50 Cron and 135 APO/Telyt remaining.

Woody
You don't really want to lose your travel kit if you can help it. One reason i have the little Alpa, there are other reasons and that is to use my MF back but the three of us will chat in Florida about some of this stuff. By than we will have a better idea on what is coming to market also. I am sitting pat myself. Yes the handcuffs are killing me but i want to know what is next this time before i move on anything. Now if a 24mm Alpa lens comes out of hiding for a great price than all bets are off. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

That little Alpa is a total POS compared to an M8...

:D,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Hey you want to test your M8 and your 28mm against my mighty P25 plus back and a Schnieder 47mm there big fella. You WILL be buying that steak dinner.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Actually that would be a fun test. Just don't ask me to focus it . LOL

woodyspedden

You guys are so much fun. Can't wait to see you again in Florida.

Anyway, as goes the M8, for now at least that is a done deal. Stays in my travel bag to do what it does best.

I think I will take your advice Jack and sell at least one if not both of the film bodies. (Can't bear to part with the M3 so that means both of these cherry M6TTL's). Might as well since I am not actually shooting film as much as talking about shooting film.

So if anyone is interested in a LNIB M6TTL either a 0.58 or a 0.85 let me know. I also have one of Tom Abrahmmsons rapidwinder clones which is a delight.

Woody