The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumormill: Hasselbald H4X

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Relevant to the recent Hassy Rumors Thread

It looks like news is coming sooner than later...

Hasselblad H4X, Hasselblad Rejoins the Open Platform Community

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Saw that page earlier today.

Also heard the official Hasselblad announcement is October 27 @ 6:00am EST.

Will be interesting to see how the lenses that were designed for the H3D/H4D exclusively (28mm, 35-90mm) will work with other brand backs.

I also wonder if the original HV90x will work since the HVD90x is optimized for the 36x48mm format.

I guess time will tell.

Good news is that the IQ-H mounts are shipping and customers seem to be satisfied with them.

Lance

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've always strongly suspected that there was no technical reason the improvements of the H3/H4 required pairing the back to the body nor required actively disabling functionality when a third party back was placed on the body. True Focus, in the limited situations where it is useful, is a great idea, and the HC28mm and HC35-90mm will be welcome additions to the inventory of rental houses and photographers who use their H system with a Phase back. None of that required Hassy to become a closed system.

The only technical improvement they gained by requiring body-back pairing was a decrease in tolerances for back/viewfinder focus registration. And this is something that is just as easily accomplished by lowering the acceptable tolerances in the body and back and offering free service to anyone who purchases and feels their registration is not spot on.

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

hcubell

This is very good news for those of us using Phase backs with H1/H2 bodies, but I have questions.
Aside from a new body, are there any advantages of an H4X over an H1 beyond the True Focus technology and the ability to use the 28mm and the 35mm-90mm lenses?
While the 28mm lens is very very good, the 35-90 zoom is really an exceptional optic. However, will these lenses perform up to their capabilities if you can't run the files through the Phocus software to apply the DAC lens corrections? Will Phase offer "comparable" lens corrections in Capture One? Finally, the 28mm and the 35-90 zoom were designed for the somewhat cropped sensor of the 39mp backs. What is the practical effect of using these lenses with a full frame back with the full frame viewfindwer?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is very good news for those of us using Phase backs with H1/H2 bodies, but I have questions.
Aside from a new body, are there any advantages of an H4X over an H1 beyond the True Focus technology and the ability to use the 28mm and the 35mm-90mm lenses?
While the 28mm lens is very very good, the 35-90 zoom is really an exceptional optic. However, will these lenses perform up to their capabilities if you can't run the files through the Phocus software to apply the DAC lens corrections? Will Phase offer "comparable" lens corrections in Capture One? Finally, the 28mm and the 35-90 zoom were designed for the somewhat cropped sensor of the 39mp backs. What is the practical effect of using these lenses with a full frame back with the full frame viewfindwer?
Note that Phase One already offers lens correction presets in Capture One for most Hassy lenses that were compatible with the H1/H2.

One place to start to look for answers to those questions is to compare the lens corrections of the Hasselblad HC35mm in Capture One and in Phocus. Tell me if you see a meaningful difference :).

Newsletter | RSS Feed

Masters Series Workshop:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hmm, H4X, IQ back, HTS adapter and 28mm & other prime lenses ... That sounds like a decent landscape shooting outfit to me, even when accounting for the HTS crop on the 28mm. It would fill a quality T/S hole that Phase/Mamiya don't have answer for plus maybe a camera that doesn't have occasional hissy fits in the field.

JSK Rangefinder

this is great and big news for sure.. and it will work wonders for Hasselblad not to mention that everyone will benefit... and the end user will finally have the choice to pick the best of all worlds..

goesbang

Hmmmm.
I think this is great news for Blad users, and for MF in general.
Not seen anything official yet but what I've seen suggests that this is only available as an upgrade for H1 and H2 users. If you have a H3 or H4, I guess this is tough luck.
The pricing is also quite staggering from what I've heard, so its perhaps not quite Christmas. However, to those heavily invested in Blad glass, this will still be a great solution worth pursuing.
I am curious to see how the 28 and 35-90 perform on the full frame sensors. Word from Blad is "some image corner quality degradation can be noticed in some
cases". Yes, we know these lenses were designed to cover smaller sensors, but just how much compromise are we going to see in real terms?
I guess we'll know soon enough. Exciting times....

johnnygoesdigital

Film, digital, phase, hts, HCD lenses? Thank you Hasselblad! The debate over whose camera system is better, can now be limited to the camera's themselves. The Hasselblad, is by far superior to the DF, (the introduction of dials would be cool though), and with Phase bringing out a new camera soon, this gives us great choices for MFD.

David, do you know when production will be available?