The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange frames on Aptus II 80

jagsiva

Any idea what is happening on these 3 frames? These are on a DF with 80LS and Leaf Aptus 80. In all fairness, its frames out of about 1000 from a recent golf trip to St. Andrews.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers...

coulombic

I actually get the same thing on my Aptus-II 12. Not sure what's happening, here. It shows up in both Capture One, and in the exported image. Any resolution on this matter would be appreciated.

jagsiva

Ah, it's not just me then :)

It almost seems like the card did not finish writing or something, and I don't recall seeing this on the LCD on the back either.

Having said that, if you look at the image of the castle, it's overlayed with an image of the R&A clubhouse. I am certain that these two images are not in sequence, although on the same card.

coulombic

Ah, it's not just me then :)

It almost seems like the card did not finish writing or something, and I don't recall seeing this on the LCD on the back either.

Having said that, if you look at the image of the castle, it's overlayed with an image of the R&A clubhouse. I am certain that these two images are not in sequence, although on the same card.
Yeah, I was worried it was just me, too. Strength in numbers, I suppose. I get the same *exact* thing. Non-sequential images having artifacts from other images. Sometimes when I view them, the artifacts will actually disappear. It's really odd. At first, I figured it was my memory card (and partly, perhaps it was). But now, I have extremely high-quality Lexar Professional and Team CF cards. It still shows up, even with proper formatting, etc. It's not extremely common, but it does bother me quite a lot.

Graham Mitchell

As soon as I saw the image in the first post, I knew this was a CF card issue. I have a tech support case about this at the moment, but Leaf haven't really given any answer after nearly a month. You're lucky if you only get this once or twice in 1000 shots. I have been getting it in 1/4 shots with some cards.

S

Shelby Lewis

I get similar images ANY time I use my Kingston brand 16GB cards on my aptus II 6... not to mention several other strange glitches.

Sandisk = no glitches.

coulombic

Yeah, I still get it pretty often. I have the tendency to think it's more about the files and less about the actual CF cards, though. I had several .MOS files that were just fine when I imported them, but having recently gone back to view them a couple of months later, it appears that about 80 percent of the images taken were affected by this odd artifacting.

I've previously submitted a trouble ticket, as well, with little help/closure. The main points that were mentioned in support were ensuring that it's properly formatted (FAT32, MBR), and using quality CF cards. Check, and check, but the problem still occurs.

Graham Mitchell

Well I can only suggest that everyone who has this issue opens a support case (if you do not already have an open support case on the matter). Keeping quiet about it won't help.

S

Shelby Lewis

Yeah, I still get it pretty often. I have the tendency to think it's more about the files and less about the actual CF cards, though. I had several .MOS files that were just fine when I imported them, but having recently gone back to view them a couple of months later, it appears that about 80 percent of the images taken were affected by this odd artifacting.
Just for our info... are these saved compressed or uncompressed (lossless)?

S

Shelby Lewis

I save uncompressed as well... but haven't seen files like these in a long while. As long as I stay away from certain cards, I'm ok.

archivue

"I save uncompressed as well..."

then you can't use LCC in C1 ?

i had the same problem with a lexar UDMA... it happens only once on a sandisk that was used before on a canon and reformated after...

nowadays i only use sandisk extreme , and never swap cards from on camera to the other.

S

Shelby Lewis

"I save uncompressed as well..."

then you can't use LCC in C1 ?

i had the same problem with a lexar UDMA... it happens only once on a sandisk that was used before on a canon and reformated after...

nowadays i only use sandisk extreme , and never swap cards from on camera to the other.
I'm not a c1 user...

I shoot portraits with a very limited assortment of lenses on an RZ and find that since the crop on those lenses is so severeusing a 44x33 sensor that no LCC is really needed (using only the central sweet spot). I stay inside lightroom and photoshop for the most part.

I too have switched cards between camera makes (canon and leaf) as well... and now wonder if that has something to do with this as well.

photo570

I had the same issue on my Aptus II 5. Only shooting tethered, no CF card at all. You should take the back to your dealer to be checked, it could be the e-box.

Jason.

F

fpkphoto

I also had problem with picture coming split in half with different exposure and saturation. This happened to a CF card that was used without problem before. Opened the case with Leaf Support. They didn't give me a satisfactory explanation, yet.

coulombic

I also had problem with picture coming split in half with different exposure and saturation. This happened to a CF card that was used without problem before. Opened the case with Leaf Support. They didn't give me a satisfactory explanation, yet.
This actually sounds like a gain issue that was occurring with the Aptus backs some time back, where different sub-sensors of the CCD were receiving/processing signal at different rates than other sensors (leaving evident lines/differently exposed areas in the image). To my knowledge, this was at least somewhat fixed. Of course, I still got that occasionally with my P65+, and every now and again with my Aptus-II 12. I guess it just comes with the territory of using a composite sensor.

Regarding the rest of this thread -- has anyone made any headway on this? I have very few problems when I format my card after each use, and never actually work off the card. Still, there are still anomalies, and this feels inexcusable to me. I've not been able to send a RAW file to Leaf for analysis -- has anyone else? Has anyone else tried processing via Leaf Capture, or the Leaf RAW Processing utility? I don't have an Apple computer, so that's out for me, and the Leaf RAW utility didn't seem to work correctly.

jagsiva

This actually sounds like a gain issue that was occurring with the Aptus backs some time back, where different sub-sensors of the CCD were receiving/processing signal at different rates than other sensors (leaving evident lines/differently exposed areas in the image). To my knowledge, this was at least somewhat fixed. Of course, I still got that occasionally with my P65+, and every now and again with my Aptus-II 12. I guess it just comes with the territory of using a composite sensor.

Regarding the rest of this thread -- has anyone made any headway on this? I have very few problems when I format my card after each use, and never actually work off the card. Still, there are still anomalies, and this feels inexcusable to me. I've not been able to send a RAW file to Leaf for analysis -- has anyone else? Has anyone else tried processing via Leaf Capture, or the Leaf RAW Processing utility? I don't have an Apple computer, so that's out for me, and the Leaf RAW utility didn't seem to work correctly.
I don't belief this is a C1/LC issue as you can see it in the raw file thumbnail in the Mac OS. I also had an email from YaYa stating that he had submitted a case so the Leaf guys are working on it -- BTW, I thought that was fantastic of him.

yaya

Can you please contact me offline with the case number so that we can follow it up? thanks!