The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with NEX-7

jonoslack

beaten up old watch ;)
with the Zeiss 24

. . . . and before you say it . . .yes, I'm not getting out enough!

but I did catch this early this morning:

again, with the Zeiss - which has edge definition in abundance - it's a really good lens.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Michiel! :)

Michiel and Jono, I like the Zeiss "pop". Very nice gradation (and sharp and crisp).:thumbs:

Incidentally, while searching for a Leica zoom (it is a 75-200 f/4.5, not sure of the version. There were more than one versions of that.), I found one of the Sonnars I was looking for. It is now temporarily mounted on a helicoid.

Will shoot some with it tomorrow.

Quentin_Bargate

????? Jono, you bounder, did you buy the Zeiss 24mm?? I missed that. Looking good :D

Lots of other good shots I see from everyone, I can't keep up

I have just ordered a Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DI III VC for some reason (main reason over the Sony is its black and slightly smaller). Will sdvise on quality when I get it.

Still loving the Zeiss:

Enough cats(!) much as I love them, here is a small hairy dog in my kitchen with the Zeiss 24mm

Second wandering around broadgate, some bicycles and shadows with the Zeiss

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Carlos, fair enough. Our cats are semi- feral and dont get much chance to come inside as they get chased by our three dogs!

Looks like most of us are enjoying the 24mm Zeiss.

Quentin

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks, Michiel! :)

Michiel and Jono, I like the Zeiss "pop". Very nice gradation (and sharp and crisp).:thumbs:

Incidentally, while searching for a Leica zoom (it is a 75-200 f/4.5, not sure of the version. There were more than one versions of that.), I found one of the Sonnars I was looking for. It is now temporarily mounted on a helicoid.

Will shoot some with it tomorrow.
Vivek, if you are looking for a zoom for the NEX you should also consider the Contax Zeiss Vario-Sonnor 80-200/4. A real nice lens long but thin and not heavy. Works well out of hand on the NEX-7.
The Leica R in that range is not known to be very good.

Michiel

V

Vivek

Quentin and Carlos:

Quentin was correct in his observation about the EVF going dark. I tried every setting possible and there is no way the EVF will lighten up.

However.....WARNING/DISCLAIMER DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK..

With a flash adapter mounted (like the one Carlos shows) or the expensive Sony one mentioned by Quentin, press the pop-up flash button. This activates the pop-up which will not fully pop up due to the physical restriction. This lightens up the EVF. When the shutter is triggered, the pop-up also fires but very little light escapes from it, flash fires as well.

We would need a firmware upgrade if one has to keep the EVF lit and fire an external (manual) flash.

Interestingly, with a proper manual flash attached (and without the pop-up), the flash sync can go as high as 1/320s.:thumbup:

V

Vivek

Vivek, if you are looking for a zoom for the NEX you should also consider the Contax Zeiss Vario-Sonnor 80-200/4. A real nice lens long but thin and not heavy. Works well out of hand on the NEX-7.
The Leica R in that range is not known to be very good.

Michiel
Thanks, Michiel. I am not looking for a zoom at all. I have more zooms than I use at the moment. :)

etrigan63

Quentin and Carlos:

Quentin was correct in his observation about the EVF going dark. I tried every setting possible and there is no way the EVF will lighten up.

With a flash adapter mounted (like the one Carlos shows) or the expensive Sony one mentioned by Quentin, press the pop-up flash button. This activates the pop-up which will not fully pop up due to the physical restriction. This lightens up the EVF. When the shutter is triggered, the pop-up also fires but very little light escapes from it, flash fires as well.

We would need a firmware upgrade if one has to keep the EVF lit and fire an external (manual) flash.

Interestingly, with a proper manual flash attached (and without the pop-up), the flash sync can go as high as 1/320s.:thumbup:
In my research of this (out of pure cussedness, I suppose) I discovered that the NEX-7 has a wireless flash mode that is dedicated to the smaller flash unit that acts as a trigger to Sony's larger flash guns. I am willing to bet that the effect Vivek described happens with that unit as well. As he said a firmware update to allow third party wireless flash would be ideal.

jonoslack

Well
Busy times, so there's not much shooting in the daytime.
Here's two with the Hawks adapter and the Leica 35 f1.4

. . . . and two with the Leica 70-210 'posh' beer can:

Neither are what it's designed for - but it's fun to use, and a lovely thing, and when the Leitax adapter arrives it's going to be splendid on the A77 with Sensor Stabilisation.

douglasf13

Quentin and Carlos:

This may be a silly question, but have you switched the "Live View Display" to "Setting Effect OFF" in the setup menu?

V

Vivek

Doug to the rescue! Problem solved!

Thanks a bunch, Doug! :salute:

Syncs up to 1/320s with a manual flash! :thumbs:

etrigan63

Yes, I did do that Doug. I thought everyone else was doing that too. Works OK but i had to use the zoom function as well to be able to focus my OM lens properly.

V

Vivek

I thought I went through it as well, Carlos. Missed it.:eek:

I do not have any problems with focusing as I always use the zoom function, especially for close ups.

eleanorbrown

Nice shots with the 24mm Quentin! I just ordered the Zeiss, now I just have to wait for the nex7 availability! Eleanor

????? Jono, you bounder, did you buy the Zeiss 24mm?? I missed that. Looking good :D

Lots of other good shots I see from everyone, I can't keep up

I have just ordered a Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DI III VC for some reason (main reason over the Sony is its black and slightly smaller). Will sdvise on quality when I get it.

Still loving the Zeiss:

Enough cats(!) much as I love them, here is a small hairy dog in my kitchen with the Zeiss 24mm

Quentin_Bargate

Drat I was hoping I was wrong!

Interesting workaround. I think I will wait until there is a firmware fix given the Nex 7 is not an ideal studio camera anyway.

Quentin and Carlos: