The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Unique approach to reviewing the G1 with 4/3rds lenses.

Brian Mosley

Hello everyone,

my Panasonic G1 + 14-45mm kit lens will be arriving tomorrow - and the 4/3rds adapter is being tracked down as we speak.

So, over the next few days we will be conducting an Olympus Safari Group team review of the camera - using the complete range of 4/3rds lenses and a number of legacy lenses in real world situations.

We're doing this as a peer directed camera review on our coordination website. If you would like to be involved in this exciting new approach to reviewing Olympus / related equipment, then please accept my personal invitation to join the group here :
My personal invite to join the Olympus Photo Safari Group

...and for those of you who are already Olympus Safari Group Members, the review coordination page for this review is here :
Safari Group Coordination Page - G1 Review

If you are not interested in guiding the review, but just want to see our report when it's complete - you can register as a report subscriber here :
Subscribe to Safari Group Special Reports

Kind Regards

Brian

bradhusick

Please, please, please take the same photo(s) at all ISO levels, then repeat with other cameras (M8, Canon G10, LX3 / D-Lux 4) and post 100% crops.
Thank you!

Brian Mosley

Hi Brad,

we'll be concentrating on comparisons with the existing E-System cameras using the best glass available to 4/3rds, and on practical impressions of using the camera in real world situations.

The review will be created by a number of Safari Group members from different backgrounds using the camera in the field.

Controlled lab tests are best done by the likes of dpreview, dcresource etc - in fact, you may find what you want here :
dcresource gallery

Kind Regards

Brian

Joan

Wow, wish I'd known you were going to get involved with the G1, Brian ... I thought UKSPG was only for Oly cameras, you're branching out to include Panny m4/3?

Brian Mosley

Hi Joan,

I don't see a conflict - Panasonic are a valued 4/3rds partner, and the G1 will probably sell a lot of ZD 9-18mm lenses...

The Olympus UKPSG members are aware of the advantages of working with Olympus DSLR equipment - and the fact that we also own and use all other brands gives us greater credibility.

And for the record, I love my LX1!

Kind Regards

Brian

Joan

No, I don't see a conflict either! :) I was just surprised as you haven't included the other Panny 4/3 cameras before. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the G1.

Cheers!

Brian Mosley

I was a bit shocked by the size of the L1, and I haven't actually seen an L10... the release price and lack of inbody stabilisation put me off both.

The G1 is revolutionary - I love that! and being able to use all of my superb 4/3rds lenses with it makes it well worth the interest.

I think it's going to be a winner - especially with the articulating screen for UWA shooting. It will be very interesting to see how the AA filter / sensor combination performs with SHG ZD glass on the front :)

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

Brian, Any idea if the G1 is available for sale in the UAE (I have someone coming back from there tomorrow)? Thanks!

V

Vivek

Brian, I have no clue.

It isn't available yet in the Netherlands.

Last edited:

Joan

The G1 is revolutionary - I love that! and being able to use all of my superb 4/3rds lenses with it makes it well worth the interest.

I think it's going to be a winner - especially with the articulating screen for UWA shooting. It will be very interesting to see how the AA filter / sensor combination performs with SHG ZD glass on the front :)

Kind Regards

Brian
Completely agree and I am very interested in the G1. I will have to wait to buy it until sometime next year as finances are tight for me right now, but the good thing is that perhaps by that time the other lenses may be out. Am hoping for good things from the 20 1.7 and the 7-14.