The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The G1 has arrived....

Terry

nei1 - a stepping stone from what? I do like the fact that the whole thing weighs just over 1lb and I threw it in my bag and it is pretty flexible on how big or small you will be able to male it. Actually, body size is close to being at the limit for small size. Put the pancake on this thing and wow it will be really tiny. Right now it is almost too small one you get used to holding the grip of the D700 as there isn't a lot of room. Back to the stepping stone, I'm reading more dslr folks getting it for their lightweight kit.

Vivek - close focus I believe is .3m or ahoy 1 foot for both lenses. Just for the hell of it I brought a Canon 250D close up lens with me to play with it. I arrived in SF today and it has been pouring since.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Terry.

Hey, I always loved the Bay area weather. Sun always breaks through sooner (unlike Holland)than later and very balmy climate. Have fun!:)

O

Oliver

... I'm reading more dslr folks getting it for their lightweight kit.
That's my interest in it. It doesn't compete with the Sony A350 etc, more with the bridge cameras like my Min A2, but bringing 4/3 IQ and some exciting lens opportunities.

Actually, the only cameras I think compete with it would be the M8 at a huge premium (granted for huge value) or the e-4x0 with the same IQ. It will probably be hurt the most by the Olympus m43 that isn't even out yet.

Pixel density shouldn't be an issue for camera shake, though pixel count will be. Or rather, higher pixel density shake issues are offset by the wider lens for the field of view.

Glad to have seen some first impressions, but now my resistence is failing fast.

A

asabet

Hi Terry,

Any chance I could see a picture of the G1 next to your D700?

Or Brian, G1 next to E-3?

I want to see something next to the G1 that really makes it look small!

Terry

Amin,
I will be back in NY where the D700 is on Wednesday evening. BUT!!!!!!! I did do a sort of side by side (tongue in cheek). D700 with 24-70 no hood. If you put the G1 next to it so the lenses end at the same spot, the G1 can slide right in next to it an not hit the protrusion of the hand grip.

If you've ever used an FZ8 with the adapter for filters that is almost the exact size of the G1 with lens.

Terry

Thanks, Terry.

Hey, I always loved the Bay area weather. Sun always breaks through sooner (unlike Holland)than later and very balmy climate. Have fun!:)
It has been absolutely pouring since I landed. Makes apartment hunting loads of fun. In this weather I have to go back to the apartments again because you can't even see the views!

Terry

No pictures tonight. I don't feel like spending $15 for internet access. Perhaps I will be able to upload some tomorrow.

Terry

The Aftermath....Saturday morning I left before dawn to catch a 6AM train to the airport...The station was packed with the Halloween leftovers....:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

ISO 1600 f5.5 1/25 (direct from camera)

View attachment 8838

a few feet away - similar settings this one could use some clean up

View attachment 8844

Joan

Did you check that guy's pulse? ;) Looks like he could very well still be there today! Fun pics, Terry!

simonclivehughes

My G1 was just delivered and the battery is charging, but here's some quick impressions:

It really is small! Compared to my D300s, it's miniscule.

The lens is just tiny.

The build quality appears to be very good.

The finish feels nicely rubbery and the grip and thumbpad are well placed, making the camera very easy to hold in one hand (and I have big hands).

I agree with a comment on one of the reviews that the front control wheel is about one-half inch too low.

Without having the battery in yet, the EVF seems quite usable with glasses... it's very large.

The LCD looks immense on the camera and swivels very well.

The buttons all seem to have a good tactile feel and feedback to them.

The control dials are well detented although I suspect the main dial may be changed inadvertently.

The On-Off and Drive switches seem to have good detents too but again, I suspect the drive switch may be prone to inadvertent movement.

The lens zoom ring and the focus ring are nicely damped and feel smooth to turn.

Holding the camera up to my face, it presents a very small forward profile and should be good for shooting without drawing attention to itself.​

I'll run it through its paces over the next few days and post some images here and on my blog.

BTW, for those inquiring minds, I went with the black body.

Cheers,

P

Prognathous

Feels a lot lighter...
G1 + lens and battery = 630g
M8 + battery 600g + 28 cron 272g
Any comment on the difference in shutter noise? Can the G1 rival the M8 quietness?

Also (and this question goes to all G1 owners), have you had a chance to test the camera's AF-C mode? If you move it closer and further away from, say, a bookshelf, can it keep up and change focus as smoothly and continuously as a DSLR?

Prog.

V

Vivek

Shutter is very quiet. A little "snick" sound (think M3 DS, may be a tad more noticeable). That is all.

Don't know much about the kit zoom's response in various modes. It is fast.

Terry

Any comment on the difference in shutter noise? Can the G1 rival the M8 quietness?

Also (and this question goes to all G1 owners), have you had a chance to test the camera's AF-C mode? If you move it closer and further away from, say, a bookshelf, can it keep up and change focus as smoothly and continuously as a DSLR?

Prog.
Quieter than the original non upgraded M8 shutter.

So far I've used the focus tracking with AFC. You see a focus square in the viewfinder and then you can half press to lock on to that subject and as it moves or you move the camera it stays locked on to what you picked and adjusts focus. I'm impressed with it.

durrIII

Terry, I am disappointed that you and Joan have not joined in on my print swap. I thought for sure you two would join in. There's still time. I have 6 spots left til Saturday. Durr Wise

Terry

Terry, I am disappointed that you and Joan have not joined in on my print swap. I thought for sure you two would join in. There's still time. I have 6 spots left til Saturday. Durr Wise
Honestly, I completely missed the whole thread about it. I will have a look. I am in the process of moving cross country and have been pretty swamped so my participation in the forum has been very hit and miss for the past month.

P

Prognathous

Quieter than the original non upgraded M8 shutter.
This sounds mighty impressive, pun intended ;-)

So far I've used the focus tracking with AFC. You see a focus square in the viewfinder and then you can half press to lock on to that subject and as it moves or you move the camera it stays locked on to what you picked and adjusts focus. I'm impressed with it.
I'm actually referring to the camera's ability to change focus in regards to a subject that gets progressively (but quickly) near or further away from the camera, not the camera's ability to identify the subject in the frame and lock on to it. If you put an SLR in AF-C mode and move it closer and further away from the subject (or vice versa) it can typically keep the subject in focus all the time, and it does so by modifying the focus to the exact position several times a second. A contrast-detection system needs to go out of focus to decide the correct focus direction, which means that, at least in theory, it won't be able to keep up with a phase-detection system such as the one used in SLR. However, everybody raves about the G1 focusing speed, so I was curious whether it could also match SLR's in this (very) challenging test.

Prog.

Brian Mosley

Hi Prog,

I think you have to put into perspective the ravings about the focus system - we're talking about a superbly performing CDAF system - that's not superb performance compared with a leading edge PDAF system... but still, I will try to get some feel for the CAF on the G1.

It could be doing some clever processing to track an object moving in the frame - not just across the frame but towards/away from you.

I think that as processing power continues to increase, CDAF will become far superior to PDAF systems. There are already advantages with the G1.

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

There are already advantages with the G1.
A gross understatement, Brian! :)

Had I not been bothering myself with my adapter projects, I would have spent more time understanding the camera's functions/utilities/capabilities and trying to work out the RAW processing of the files (jpgs are so-so). :eek: