The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 EVIL focusing

V

Vivek

I haven't made an adapter yet. This is a quick test shot made under mixed (i might add poor) lighting.
G1 and the Canon 50/0.95. f/0.95, 1/200s, ISO 200 (noise control in camera was none). Jpg was color balanced in PS and resized.

Arne Hvaring

Vivek, nice shot, seems you nailed the focus perfectly. Canon 0.95, that's a thought. I have two of those, but still in native mount. Perhaps converting to Leica M-mount and then using the coming Leica/m4:3 adapter would be the way to go. Any thoughts/tips on the conversion?

O

Oliver

Bit of noise in the blue, I suppose from the mixed lighting as you say. That said, I love the opportunity - I used to have a Canon 50/1.8 ltm I love; tossing one on a G1 as a fast "100" sounds like fun.

The colors look a bit more modern than I'd expected, looking forward to seeing your next images too.

It's been a real struggle each day not to buy one of these.

V

Vivek

Arne, If you are an M user, it is worth converting your lens to the M mount.

I don't know which type (there were at least 3 versions made) you have. Mine was a TV lens (the last version) converted to M mount.

Olivier, As I said, this was shot without a lens mount. So, there was little cahnce to play around with this combination without frustration. This shot was one of the 2 shots I made. The subject is quite active and is unwilling to pose for photos.

V

Vivek

Brian, Thanks. I knew that this question will come up.:D

I am busy gathering up some bits and pieces to make some adapters for the G1.

I will make a lengthy/detailed report here (exclusively for the getdpi folks) once things are gathered/put together and samples available. It will take up-to a few weeks.

V

Vivek

Brian, As much as I like gadgets and technical challenges, I am neither interested not equipped to produce or sell such things.

Ideas (as valuable as they may be) would be available as a friendly gift! :)

When I disclose the details, I would also indicate why the delay.

Brian Mosley

Sorry Vivek - I misread your post - just getting my order in early if there was a chance :ROTFL:

I only really need one adapter - and that's on order!

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Thanks Carl, I've only got Hexanon AR lenses and these have all been converted to 4/3rds - so all I'll need is the 4/3rds adapter for now.

Can't wait for Panasonic to deliver! very frustrating:mad:

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

A couple of macro shots of a mushroom using the G1 and the TFT screen for focusing. Cold evening (yesterday).

Processed through Silkypix (sharpness none, saturation neutral) and resized for web through PS.

Judging from the smooth OOF rendition, I think the filter stack on the G1's sensor is quite thick, inducing quite a bit of spherical aberrations.

scho

A couple of macro shots of a mushroom using the G1 and the TFT screen for focusing. Cold evening (yesterday).
Processed through Silkypix (sharpness none, saturation neutral) and resized for web through PS.

Judging from the smooth OOF rendition, I think the filter stack on the G1's sensor is quite thick, inducing quite a bit of spherical aberrations.
Vivek, Was this taken with your Canon 50? The filter pack does look a bit hefty in this image:
http://www.pbase.com/viztyger/image/103812142
Someone on DPR suggested that there is some in-camera correction for distortion being applied to jpegs and also for raws in silkypix. All of this pertains to the kit lens.

Regards,
Carl

V

Vivek

Carl, No Canon lens and no 50mm. It was a true macro lens. I have used the same lens for film and the OOF isn't this smooth and the fall of DOF isn't this sharp.

Both shots (the second is ~ 1:2 magnification or 0.5X lifesize)were at f/8 and focused using the TFT screen.

The kit zoom (which has an aspherical element) with a close up lens such as the Leica Macrotar (VIb) behaves a bit differently when it comes to OOF renditions. But is still quite sharp.

Take a look at Brian Caldwell's (Brian is a lens designer) information on flat glass in front of the sensor here:
http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00M5ag

V

Vivek

Here is a sample from the kit zoom (on board flash, f/7.1, OIS enabled, 1/160s, autofocus used).

This one was done outdoors, again 1/160s, f/2, EVIL focusing (manual) on the rose buds.

I think, those who would use this camera with fast primes are going to be very pleased.

scho

Here is a sample from the kit zoom (on board flash, f/7.1, OIS enabled, 1/160s, autofocus used).

I think, those who would use this camera with fast primes are going to be very pleased.
Very nice Vivek. Fast primes are waiting for that M>m4/3 adapter!

V

Vivek

Thanks, Carl. I load the processed (selected) images back onto a SD card to view them through the EVF in G1. The experience is much more effective than viewing well exposed and sharp Velvia slides through a good projector.

The descriptor "3D" takes a new meaning! Simply awesome! :)