The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An ideal fast normal lens, my Schneider Xenon 25mm/1.5

Another find in my old lens collection, I found an old Schneider-Kreuznach 25mm/1.5 I had never used. It is in Arri Standard mount, ugly to look at, needs a custom adapter but delivers an image quality I would have never dreamt of , I would love to keep it as my standard lens. Covers the whole G1 sensor and only in rare cases is there a trace of vignetting.. It comes with an Arri Standard adapter, but it will not focus to infinity The problem is I am not good at mechanical jobs, nor do I have anybody at hand who could give the lens a good CLA and modify the adapter for it to reach infinity., so there is some work to be done.

I would welcome your opinions on the quality of the results, whether you would think it is worth investing in it. Anybody you know of in Switzerland or Europe that could make the necessary work without my spending more than the lenses commercial value.

Here some examples. All pictures made at ISO=100 and full aperture (1.5) unless indicated, Raw developed and resized in Raw Therapee:

View attachment 12630

View attachment 12631

Here, some vignetting can be seen

View attachment 12632

Orchid, f/=1.5

View attachment 12633

f/=2.8

View attachment 12634

f/=5.6

Thank you in advance for your tips and advice.
Peter

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Very sweet rendition of the soft colors. I like what looks to be fairly flat contrast. On the first two shots there seems to be a fair amount of noise. Are those at ISO 100 too?

It's pretty cool to be able to mount such an assortment of lenses!

Very sweet rendition of the soft colors. I like what looks to be fairly flat contrast. On the first two shots there seems to be a fair amount of noise. Are those at ISO 100 too?
All are ISO 100. My guess is that in pushing the background during development it became noisier.

On the first two shots there seems to be a fair amount of noise. Are those at ISO 100 too?
Also, the noise appears after converting to jpeg with Raw Therapee, the raws do not show this noise. I must find a better way of generating jpegs for the web

wjlapier

Also, the noise appears after converting to jpeg with Raw Therapee, the raws do not show this noise. I must find a better way of generating jpegs for the web
Looks good aside from the noise. Arri is new to me. Is it a standard like c mount, d mount, or m mount? The few I saw were very expensive.

As for jpegs for web--with the G1 I shoot only jpeg as I don't want to spend too much time in post--another program to learn ( this might change as I use the camera more ). All my pics so far have been jpegs out of camera and no post other than resize.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi !

Great pictures again from a remarkable combination !
Indeed, noisier than usual, but if noise does not show up in the raw files, why don't you try convertion with silkypixs. It comes with the G1 on the CD, and is quite easy to use. Lots of controls, but ergonomic :rolleyes:

Otherwise, I also occasionnally clean up pictures with a free program called "neat image", also available as a plugin for PS

Have a nice evening,
Rafael

Hi !
Great pictures again from a remarkable combination !
Indeed, noisier than usual, but if noise does not show up in the raw files, why don't you try convertion with silkypixs. It comes with the G1 on the CD, and is quite easy to use. Lots of controls, but ergonomic :rolleyes:
Otherwise, I also occasionnally clean up pictures with a free program called "neat image", also available as a plugin for PS
Have a nice evening,
Rafael
Thank you for your comments and tips, Rafael. In the meantime I solved the problem by resizing in Gimp after developing in Raw Therapee. No more objectionable noise in my latest posts, like in http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6019
Have a good night
Peter