The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad SWC series in combination with digital backs

KeithL

Hello all

With Hasselblad's advice in mind that the performance of the 38mm Biogon can be compromised when used with digital backs, I'd be very interested to hear of user's 'real world' experiences with the SWC series and digital backs.

TIA

Keith

yaya

Hmmm....

Leaf Aptus 65 on SWC, no compromise whatsoever

It's a lovely little camera with a great lens IMO

Yair

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Keith

The LEAF APTUS 65 (now LEAF APTUS -II 6) sensor is 33x44mm , pixelsize is 7,2 micron and has 28MP resulting in a file of 160 MB in 16-bit-modus .
The CFV has 16MP and the sensor is 37x37mm .
The CF39-II sensor size is 36,7x49,0mm .

Now , if you are afraid , that the CF39-II sensor size would be too big to be used properly with the HASSELBLAD SWC , you will then not be able to use an other HASSELBLAD BACK , except the CFV . The H3DII-31 back is not available just as a digital back .

Is there anyone out there , who has used a HASSELBLAD SWC with a CF39-II ? ? ?

Please also have a look to the connectivity diagram of the attached PDF , page 4 .
The SWC + SWC/M + 903/905SWC can be used with the CF-39 back. All you need is the HASSELBLAD ELD adapter .

View attachment 12936

Regards Jürgen

P.S. The PDF is also available in an english version . Currently the HASSELBLAD server is too busy . I could not log in .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Sorry , attaching this PDF does not work properly .
What am I doing wrong ? ? ?

Keith , you can have a look at the hasselblad.com under CF backs .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Moderator , can you please erase the post #6 .

Clicking twice on the title page does initiate a download of the PDF.

KeithL

Jurgen, thanks, I've downloaded the PDFs.

Yair, good to hear you report that the 36x48 backs show no problems.

Pham Minh Son, do you use the 38mm Biogon in combination with digital backs?

To all; I'm looking to use a 903/905SWC (already have the RMFx finder and latest focus screen adapter) with film for the moment (I know, exemplary quality and without problem) and possibly later this year with a 39MP back. I don't tend to shoot wide open.

Thanks all.

Keith

PSon

keith, I used the lens in digital and film. I used both the Rollei 40 SA and the 38 Biogon with the same digital back and I prefer the Biogon more due to the shadow details.

Son

KeithL

Son, many thanks, appreciated.

A question to all. Could I switch quickly and easily between film and digital capture when using a Phase One P45 V fit digital back on 500 and SWC cameras? The reason I ask is because as I understand it this would be impossible when using the Hasselblad CF digital backs as these rely on adapters having to be screwed onto the camera backs and having to be removed before attaching a film back.

TIA

Keith

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Keith,

I am unsure how fixed the CF adapter is secured to the body. However, you want to use caution with the P45 back as there is no "double lock" system and I have seen a few P backs dropped off of bodies by users.

My first P20 back for H1 had a small dent on the side where it dropped some 4 feet to the floor by the previous owner. I personally had no problem with it and would get another in a heartbeat if I needed one. I think they are fairly bombproof and unless you dislodge the sensor or crack the screen you would have a hard time messing one up.

Bob

tourmie green

The battery on the Hasselblad CFv backs hangs below the bottom of the profile of the standard back area and will therefore foul the tripod coupling without the necessary adaptor;this produces a clumsy shape when you take the digi.
back off to replace it with a film back.i.e. quick storage is an issue.
This is not a problem with Phase One backs;the battery fits within a slightly heavier digital back profile;connection between the back and any 500 series or
SWC variant is through an easy to remove wake up cable connecting to the flash sync. nipple on the lens.
I know this info because I have a loaner P20 back on my 903SWC sitting on my desk at the moment courtesy of a UK Phase one agent.I am planning to replace this with an ex demo P25 shortly,so I am pleased to hear of positive
feedback on the lens quality with other brands of digital backs.
All the best....

PeterA

The battery on the Hasselblad CFv backs hangs below the bottom of the profile of the standard back area and will therefore foul the tripod coupling without the necessary adaptor;this produces a clumsy shape when you take the digi.
back off to replace it with a film back.i.e. quick storage is an issue.
This is not a problem with Phase One backs;the battery fits within a slightly heavier digital back profile;connection between the back and any 500 series or
SWC variant is through an easy to remove wake up cable connecting to the flash sync. nipple on the lens.
I know this info because I have a loaner P20 back on my 903SWC sitting on my desk at the moment courtesy of a UK Phase one agent.I am planning to replace this with an ex demo P25 shortly,so I am pleased to hear of positive
feedback on the lens quality with other brands of digital backs.
All the best....
I use a CFV11 all the time on a 200 series camera. The CFV11 does have a battery hanging off the bottom - just like all Leaf backs btw. However the adaptor which comes with the back works very well if you have a tripod mounting issue.

In practise switching from digi back to film back is no more or less involved or dangerous than with any other system I own and use and that includes Sinar/H series/ and Phase.

Digi dust mangement is a fact of life - much easer to control in MF than in SLR btw. In practise the requirement to wake up a Phase back is a right royal pain in the backside and didnt use the Phase back on my Alpa for same reason. All other things considered though - Phase makes a nice backs - just liek everyone else.

halfFrame

Dusk example of Hasselblad SWC shot March 1, 2009 at about f8 or 11.
Shot with Phase One p25.
There is a Security Lock on the horizontal placement of the back. There is not a Security Lock on the vertical placement.

Son, many thanks, appreciated.

A question to all. Could I switch quickly and easily between film and digital capture when using a Phase One P45 V fit digital back on 500 and SWC cameras? The reason I ask is because as I understand it this would be impossible when using the Hasselblad CF digital backs as these rely on adapters having to be screwed onto the camera backs and having to be removed before attaching a film back.

TIA

Keith
Hi Keith,

The adapter is fixed to the CF back not to the SWC. So switching is o different between Hass and Phase, nor Leaf for that matter.

The L type batteries are also available in a number of profiles and the smallest is pretty compact.

As stated elsewhere there is also an adapter to prevent any fouling of the tripod.

David

KeithL

David, so switching between film and digital would be a simple matter of removing the film back and replacing it with the DB (complete with adapter) and then connecting the flash sync cable?

Thanks to all.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,

The adapter is fixed to the CF back not to the SWC. So switching is o different between Hass and Phase, nor Leaf for that matter.

The L type batteries are also available in a number of profiles and the smallest is pretty compact.

As stated elsewhere there is also an adapter to prevent any fouling of the tripod.

David
David

I have been rereading the paragraph "working with multiple cameras" in the HASSELBLAD CF DIGITAL BACKS PDF and find it not very clearly expressed , that the adapter is screwed on to the back and not to the camera .
But thank you for that hint anyway .

Jürgen