The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica questions

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
As my camera will be nearly two year's old by August, I'm liking the whole upgrade path as long as I'd know that Leica will be putting the camera through a whole camera inspection to ensure things like the rangefinder are retuned to specification.

I also think it's great out-of-the-box thinking to work on tweaking the original (and bringing in revenue) while preparing for the next generation of R and M iterations.

Kurt

Daniel

i think someone already pointed this out. i'm wondering if i opt-out on the first upgrade option, and the second upgrade option becomes available later, do i have to make the first upgrade before i can opt for the second upgrade option? or the upgrades will be treated independently from each other?

would you bring this up to leica's rep?

edit: i just bought my m8. so, if i choose the upgrade option, will the upgrade warranty be added to my current warranty? this is probably obvious, but i want to be sure.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As my camera will be nearly two year's old by August, I'm liking the whole upgrade path as long as I'd know that Leica will be putting the camera through a whole camera inspection to ensure things like the rangefinder are retuned to specification.

I also think it's great out-of-the-box thinking to work on tweaking the original (and bringing in revenue) while preparing for the next generation of R and M iterations.

Kurt

Damn I forgot to mention that , yes Kurt they will get the whole body back to spec with everything, like new

jonoslack

Damn I forgot to mention that , yes Kurt they will get the whole body back to spec with everything, like new
Ah - you mean with the SDSyndrome, innaccurate rangefinder etc. etc. (just like I bought it?).
:)

Actually, I think this is all good stuff, not so sure about the firmware announcement (you saw my email I guess).

all the best

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If this is available to "original owners" only, doesn't that make it hard for us to sell our M8 at any point in the future? If we put in $1800 now, will there be a market for a used M8 (if the body is then locked out of the future upgrade path)? Isn't it a little unfair to tie this to
"original owners"? Or is it only the extended warranty that applies to "original owners"?

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This issue of transferrable warranties is a big deal. Looking at the history of the M8 reliability hasn t been a strong point. Would you buy a used M8 knowing that you had now warranty coverage. This is a real chance to prop up the resale value of used M8s and if done well(the camera does become more reliable after the upgrades) turn into a strong justification for the cost of the upgrade. Wouldn t you pay $1000 for Leica to completely go over your M8, make all the factory fixes and extend your warranty by 2 years. The new shutter ,screen etc and other hardware upgrades are the other costs.

Guy Mancuso

Hi Guy,
The flash sync is 1/180...
The M8 will be available “New” with or without the upgrade...
Along with the upgrade comes a complete “CLA Equivalent”...

I screwed that up folks , sorry

eekimel

Hi Guy:

Most of my main questions were asked -- and this may be covered in the one wondering if you have to go through the upgrades in order -- but is this the beginning of an a la carte upgrade program? Say I wanted the crystal but not the shutter (or the other way around)?

Or, will they go the other way, say a guarantee of perennial upgrades for a yet-to-be-determined one-time fee?

robsteve

Subscriber
The mention of the warranty and original owner needs a bit of clarification.

Does it mean the warranty on the upgrade is not transferrable?

or

Does it mean Leica will only upgrade cameras for the original owners. In other words, once the M8 is a used M8 and transfers hands the update service is no longer offered.

Finally, if the warranty is not transferrable, does this prevent the dealers from upgrading used stock and selling these cameras with a two year warranty?

S

Sean_Reid

If this is available to "original owners" only, doesn't that make it hard for us to sell our M8 at any point in the future? If we put in $1800 now, will there be a market for a used M8 (if the body is then locked out of the future upgrade path)? Isn't it a little unfair to tie this to
"original owners"? Or is it only the extended warranty that applies to "original owners"?
No worries, details on this point tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Guy and Jack,

Thank you for gathering up these questions to bring to Leica. The effort is much appreciated.

If people are interested, I will also be able to answer some of these questions tomorrow once my embargo date/time is up.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Thanks Guy.

It's now tomorrow - a few points.

1. The offer is being extended to existing owners now but the upgrade will be available as an (extra cost) option to anyone who buys an M8 new. To the best of my understanding, having spoken with Leica on this point specifically, there are no current plans to offer the upgraded cameras "off the shelf". Old M8 owner or new, the upgrades will be available in August.

2. Firmware upgrades are all still free for all M8 owners.

3. Pricing for upgrade will be in Euros only. One pays in Euros by credit card and the credit card bank will deal with converting to one's home currency. Cost is 1200 Euro.

What else?

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Questions regarding firmware:

I'm guessing from what has been revealed about the 1.201 firmware that we are not going to get the proposed (by Sean and others) easy access to ISO and exposure compensation? In your opinion, is there any hope whatsoever that this might be implemented in the future, or are we simply SOL?
Alas Simon, I no longer have high hopes for that.

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

The way the present firmware is structured, the first several hundred lines in effect survey the hardware present in the camera and prepare to take a few branches at the appropriate time (either in loading that firmware or later during execution) in the light of what they find. So far, there have been only a few variants of the ccd-board, and there is not presently a state variable for the shutter, but this structure suggests that Leica does not need to support multiple simultaneous releases of the M8's firmware. Operational improvements that are not specific to the new shutter and future hardware changes should work in all M8s. It would be expensive and time-consuming to do things otherwise.

Since I expect there is really just one firmware roadmap, it would be valuable, and a selling tool for Leica, to make that roadmap more public.

scott

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Guy.

1. The offer is being extended to existing owners now but the upgrade will be available as an (extra cost) option to anyone who buys an M8 new. To the best of my understanding, having spoken with Leica on this point specifically, there are no current plans to offer the upgraded cameras "off the shelf". Old M8 owner or new, the upgrades will be available in August.

3. Pricing for upgrade will be in Euros only. One pays in Euros by credit card and the credit card bank will deal with converting to one's home currency. Cost is 1200 Euro.

What else?

Cheers,

Sean

Great Sean for clearing up those points. Glad to see it is past the bewitching hour for you. LOL

Biting your tongue freaking hurts. LOL

Guy Mancuso

The way the present firmware is structured, the first several hundred lines in effect survey the hardware present in the camera and prepare to take a few branches at the appropriate time (either in loading that firmware or later during execution) in the light of what they find. So far, there have been only a few variants of the ccd-board, and there is not presently a state variable for the shutter, but this structure suggests that Leica does not need to support multiple simultaneous releases of the M8's firmware. Operational improvements that are not specific to the new shutter and future hardware changes should work in all M8s. It would be expensive and time-consuming to do things otherwise.

Since I expect there is really just one firmware roadmap, it would be valuable, and a selling tool for Leica, to make that roadmap more public.

scott

Very good Scott

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Dear Leica

Would you advise me to continue buying R lenses, or would you advise me to sell the ones I've already bought ?

I don't like to use adapters !
And I haven't got an R camera, I'm just preparing for the "R10".

woodyspedden

Thanks Guy.

What else?

Cheers,

Sean
Sean

this still does not address whether a "used" camera can be purchased and upgraded. Any word on this? The price for used M8's would disastrously decline if they cannot be upgraded.

Woody Spedden