The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 sensor cleaning help!

markwon

I just noticed that after my trip to the beach my M8 came back quite a bit of dust (or sand) on the sensor. I have read high praise for VisibleDust, but its pretty expensive for swabs and cleaning fluid. I was wondering if anyone knew of reliable and proven alternatives?

Also, until I get a cleaner, I was hoping to try my Giottos rocket blower, but I can't seem to access the sensor. This may be a dumb question, but how does one access the M8 sensor? Thanks all.

maurits

Hi Mark, remove the lens and hold your M8 screen upward and use the Giotto's to get rid of dust that is in the camera (but not yet in the sensor area). Then turn the M8 on, press the menu button and scroll to "Sensor Cleaning". Press "Set" and choose "Yes" in the following screen. If your battery is full enough (which mine isn't now), it will tell you to press the shutter and the curtain opens. Hold the M8 screen-upwards again and blow away. Usually helps me to get rid of most dust bunnies. Turn the M8 off to close the curtain again.

Good luck!

Cheers, Maurits

markwon

Maurits, thank you for the tip. In case this doesn't do it, I am still wondering if there is a solution available for a more thorough cleaning...

Hi Mark, remove the lens and hold your M8 screen upward and use the Giotto's to get rid of dust that is in the camera (but not yet in the sensor area). Then turn the M8 on, press the menu button and scroll to "Sensor Cleaning". Press "Set" and choose "Yes" in the following screen. If your battery is full enough (which mine isn't now), it will tell you to press the shutter and the curtain opens. Hold the M8 screen-upwards again and blow away. Usually helps me to get rid of most dust bunnies. Turn the M8 off to close the curtain again.

Good luck!

Cheers, Maurits

maurits

Well, when the crud really doesn't come off I use Sensor Swabs type 1 from Photographic Solutions Inc. in combination with their Eclipse E2 fluid. Most of the times that is all it takes.

Not cheap, but you get a dozen or so swabs. That would amount to about 5 dollars per cleaning cycle.

They have a good instruction video on their website!

Cheers, Maurits

markwon

Maurits, thanks for the info. I tried using my blower several times to no prevail. The dust seems pretty fixed on the sensor.

I'm going to look into this. BTW- Are the swabs reusable? Thank again!

Well, when the crud really doesn't come off I use Sensor Swabs type 1 from Photographic Solutions Inc. in combination with their Eclipse E2 fluid. Most of the times that is all it takes.

Not cheap, but you get a dozen or so swabs. That would amount to about 5 dollars per cleaning cycle.

They have a good instruction video on their website!

Cheers, Maurits

maurits

My impression is that the swabs can be used for just one cleaning cycle. They come very carefully packed and are sealed individually. I guess the particles that come off the sensor remain stuck to the swab after the E2 fluid has dried up. Only to reintroduce them to your sensor when used again... :)

Cheers, Maurits

4season

If it's just dust, I simply use a household vacuum cleaner to clean the optics and sensor. Works fine for simple dry particles. But be sure to retract the shutter first, and use a light touch! I don't actually stick the end of the hose into the camera body at all, just to the lens flange area, and only enough to get some air moving.

4season

BTW- Are the swabs reusable?
If you are very tidy, you can reuse the plastic portion again by rewrapping in a couple of layers of Kodak lens tissue. Remember that this is normally done under clean room conditions.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Make sure to blow off all loose stuff with the Giotto Rocket Blower before starting a wet clean - you don't want to drag a particle of sand across your sensor. That is also the argument against using swabs that do not come straight from the clean packaging. Use the fluid very sparingly. Never-ever- use canned air. If you are unlucky it will deposit crud on your sensor that is next to impossible to remove!

markwon

thank you all for your helpful comments. i just ordered the swabs and e2 fluid. until then, i'm busy bandaging the spots in lightroom.

Scargos2

There's easier and a cheaper way, buy using a lens pen. I think I purchased mine from B&H
I just checked B&H $9.95

Last edited:

Scargos2

Had to clean my sensor today, did it once. But did not clean it, so did the sensor again and this time I pressed harder. Wala it is clean. Camera companies make it sound that you could ruin the sensor, if you do it yourself. It's not that delicate. SO give it a try, using the
Lens pen.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
There's easier and a cheaper way, buy using a lens pen. I think I purchased mine from B&H
I just checked B&H $9.95
I was not happy about that one, there is a faint chance of scratches. better either Sensor Brush or Arctic Butterfly, or Rocket Blower + wet clean.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My personal recommendation is:
1) Try a blower (rocket blower or equivalent)
2) Wet clean with E2 with sensor swabs
3) Rocket blower again
4) Repeat from 2 a/r
-bob

Ron (Netherlands)

Problem with the M8 is that electric current stays on the camera and sensor while in cleaning mode, therefore the sensor will be electro magnetic and thus attracting the little dust particles.

Scargos2

Well I used the lens pen on my Canon 20d And two days ago on my M8 with no problem.
You have to blow off the the sensor holding the camera upside down to make sure there is no grit on the sensor and so how can you scratch the sensor. The wet way is slower and not any better. I have the wet system and never used it. I will sell it to anyone at a good price they want to try the wet system.