The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's all Maggie's fault (I bought a D-Lux3)

jonoslack

Well, you have to blame someone!
I don't know why it caused me so much anguish, much more troublesome than deciding whether to buy the M8 or not. I dithered and dithered, and in the end curiosity at 16:9 and the slightly longer reach made me go for the D-Lux3.
I won't be using it a lot for black and white or for people shots (that's what my M8's for).
Anyway, a few day's playing with it, and some large prints (which are excellent) and I'm a happy chap.

Here are a couple of shots from the 'first roll'

I thought the camera handled the huge variation in light in the first two shots pretty well

This is a simple shot, and I was worried that the detail on the tree might not be good enough - but it seems to be fine:

This was shot in the kitchen on a sunny morning - it makes a fine 26" print that you can really eyeball:

I've left all of these in the native 16:9 - it's an interesting way to shoot.

These were all shot RAW and processed in ACR.

Maggie - thank you for the inspiration of your shots - Sean's reviews were very useful, but I think it was your 'results' which pushed me over the edge. Of course, you'll now go and get yourself a Ricoh and deny your old mate!

Maggie O

Many happy days and months of shooting, Jono! Have fun!

I'm OK with taking the blame-you're going to really enjoy your camera. Be sure to give the manual a good look; it's actually quite good and full of pleasant surprises.

Wow, another lovely lemon! Two in one day! Lemonade time, anyone?

H

helgipelgi

Congrats!

The 16:9 ratio pleases me to no end, although I prefer 3:2 for portrait/vertical shots (which is then 2:3 I guess). It's like having a baby X-Pan in your pocket ;)

jonoslack

Many happy days and months of shooting, Jono! Have fun!

I'm OK with taking the blame-you're going to really enjoy your camera. Be sure to give the manual a good look; it's actually quite good and full of pleasant surprises.

Wow, another lovely lemon! Two in one day! Lemonade time, anyone?
Manual? is there a manual? So there is! I just looked in the box, and there it was. It's not fat, but the paper is thin and it's only in one language.

But it would be breaking the habit of a lifetime . . . . what a precedent to set!

Yes, lemon's are the flavour of the day - I'm glad you like them - they look so nice in the kitchen with the winter sunshine coming in through the windows. Mind you, I think the other lemon is the better picture.

Maggie O

I put the .pdf version of the manual in my dock- it's searchable. That way, whenever I was wondering abut something, I could look it up fast.

helenhill

Great 'First Roll' Jono!
but I'm surprised your delighted with the results.
I mean between your camera expertise, Maggie's Superb Suggestion and photos & Sean's Insightful Reviews how could you be in DOUBT
I'm a 16:9 junkie so its the main reason I have the D-lux 3
aside from the crisp lens....... All the Best:)

M

meilicke

I love the tree shot with the blue sky slowly deepening. Very cool.

jonoslack

Congrats!

The 16:9 ratio pleases me to no end, although I prefer 3:2 for portrait/vertical shots (which is then 2:3 I guess). It's like having a baby X-Pan in your pocket ;)
HI There
I hadn't thought of it like a baby X-Pan - something I never quite got around too. Certainly is fun though
:)

jonoslack

Great 'First Roll' Jono!
but I'm surprised your delighted with the results.
I mean between your camera expertise, Maggie's Superb Suggestion and photos & Sean's Insightful Reviews how could you be in DOUBT
I'm a 16:9 junkie so its the main reason I have the D-lux 3
aside from the crisp lens....... All the Best:)
Hi Helen
I am surprised - it's both better than I expected, and less of a hassle to use. Definitely a winner. The lens IS crisp as well - altogether a winner.