The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Panasonic TS1

Terry

With the release of a number of tough cameras and the nicer weather I decided to pick one up. I want to have some fun with it at the beach, underwater, etc. I will test it a bit over the weekend (side by side with a Ricoh G600 that I got off ebay).

The Panny camera can go 3 meters deep for an hour, can be dropped etc.

Here are my first couple of test shots. The wide end is definitely sharper than the tele end.

I am not used to doing work in Lightroom on JPEGs and dang there is a reason to shoot RAW and beat up your files. Have to be careful here as things can get ugly in a hurry).

Wide (28mm) no PP
View attachment 14936

Tele (128mm)
View attachment 14937

with some PP
View attachment 14938

Tim

Hi Terry,

thanks for posting these. I looked at both the Olympus Tough samples and some from the Pana TS1 and I think IMHO that the TS1 IQ was a lot better. Also the TS1 does 720P video.

How do you find using the TS1? Is it quick through the menus? is there much shutter lag? There was some reports that the Olympus suffered it bit with slowness?

I am thinking about one of these as a combo, use at the beach and for the kids to use.

Thanks

Tim

Terry

No real menus to get through. i haven't read the manual yet so over the weekend I should know more. iA, intelligent auto, really works quite well so far so it could indeed be great for the kids.

This is also really a true pocket camera with no case as you don't need to worry about a lens cap, the auto lens cap with blades that can get messed up etc.

I think the tele end is impacted bi diffraction on slow lens with very high pixel density on tiny sensor.

But still with negatives it is pretty interesting

cjlacz

I'm interested to hear your impressions of this camera too. I've been helping a friend shop for a camera for his trip and this is at the top of his list right now. Any thoughts you have on the video features would be welcome.

Terry

I'm not an experienced video person but I'm happy to take some in either format and send it to you (I can do big files). There are two format choices AVCHD lite and motion jpeg. I know there are benefits and problems in dealing with both (mjpeg - huge files, avchd - editing software but great direct to Panny/Sony tv). Changing back and forth is simple! They put the format choice right it in the quick menu. Also dedicated stop start of video button very! convenient.

Terry

By the way, This is the FT1 model in some areas of the world (where video length is limied to 15 minutes)

Terry

So you got one. Looks pretty nice. We looked at these cams at PMA. Pretty nice little camera
Yeah, I was looking for something for the beach that i wasn't putting into multiple ziplock bags. I also thought this might be interesting in the nooks and crannies of the rocks seaweed and other critters under the water at low tide down the coast a bit. will try it out this weekend. Prob down in Carmel area this AM. Low tide midday so light for underwater.

kweide

Yeah, I was looking for something for the beach that i wasn't putting into multiple ziplock bags. I also thought this might be interesting in the nooks and crannies of the rocks seaweed and other critters under the water at low tide down the coast a bit. will try it out this weekend. Prob down in Carmel area this AM. Low tide midday so light for underwater.
That was the reason for us buying a mju850. Schock resistant and it can go for a dive... 3 Meters deep. Enough for razorsharp shark-pictures... :)
See the proof:

iiiNelson

The wide end looks extremely sharp as does the telephoto side after a little PP. Looks like a good camera to have for general purposes and vacations.

Tim

I'm not an experienced video person but I'm happy to take some in either format and send it to you (I can do big files). There are two format choices AVCHD lite and motion jpeg. I know there are benefits and problems in dealing with both (mjpeg - huge files, avchd - editing software but great direct to Panny/Sony tv). Changing back and forth is simple! They put the format choice right it in the quick menu. Also dedicated stop start of video button very! convenient.

Hi Terry,

I'd be keen to see a sample in AVCHD Lite format. How can I get one?
Thanks

Terry

If you can wait a day I will take some tomorrow and either post it on my iDisk and give you the link or I can email it. Let me take it and see how big it is to link it. I think this camera will do better in daylight is that OK for the video or would you prefer the video underwater?

Tim

If you can wait a day I will take some tomorrow and either post it on my iDisk and give you the link or I can email it. Let me take it and see how big it is to link it. I think this camera will do better in daylight is that OK for the video or would you prefer the video underwater?
I'd like to see some best case capability so just regular daylight will be fine. Thank you again. There does not seem to be any samples on the net yet?

Tim

Terry

This camera is INSANELY good at wide angle in iA mode. Two shots had a curves adjustment. All of the histograms were perfect...

I have lightroom set to do standard sharpening for screen output when I reduce size. I know sometime the forum software sharpens a bit more. These probably don't need anything in the export to jpeg process
View attachment 15080

The white dot in the sky is left in for Jack....It is a blimp....Jack it follows me where ever I roam :ROTFL:

View attachment 15082

This was at 55mm and I did a bit of a curves adjustment. Need to do some work figuring out the differences with this camera between wide and tele

View attachment 15081

Had to paly a little cat and mouse with the fog a few times. The white on the right is the fog coming in. Doesn't bother me because I know what the scene was like. What do you think

View attachment 15079

Last edited:

Lili

My God Terry, that is awesomely good! Even for a non-folded-optics camera!!
Brava!!!!

Last edited:

Tim

Really nice images Terry, this camera performs much better than expected. It seems it may be a good choice for inexperienced photogs as its auto settings seem to be near spot on!?

Thank you for posting the samples

Lars

Just be careful with overexposure and blue skies. That first bridge shot has the pull towards green that is typical for clipped blues. Maybe dial in a slight underexposure?