The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP2 1st day

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well, 09:30 came and went...I did a few drive by shootings on the way home just to see what would happen. I didn't read the manual yet but will in the next few hours...anyway...here's a few pickin's...more later when I get back from Atlantic City..........

all at f2.8 iso 800 no noise reduction....

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
some more....

I have the camera on auto focus and using the finder....by the way, the finder is much better than for the DP1...I will keep it cause it's small....
anyway, I am looking thru the finder and trying to get the AF to go where I want it without using the screen....hit and miss so far but motre hit than miss....later IU will use MF and try Hyperfocal Distance....

Great camera.....
shooter

fordfanjpn

Congrats and thanks for the pics. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more from you. I hope you like the camera as much as I do.

Bill

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Bill,
I'm down the Jersey shore.
I'll post later but the camera is GREAT!
No need to read the manual at all.
Don

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Wayne,
Funny thing....
I've spent 40+ years with an M4 and a 35mm as the eye.
The last few years of my film work I
was seeing almost 50mm.
The DP2 fits right in. Not a 35, not a 50.
It's sweet seeing like this.

toobacat

I can't wait to get one of these, even though I just got the DP1. How does this finder for this camera compare with the CV?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I can't wait to get one of these, even though I just got the DP1. How does this finder for this camera compare with the CV?
That's the question I was most anxious to get a real answer too.
The finder was my biggest concern.
So the answer is this. It works fine. It's not as bright as the CV and the frame lines at times, if your eye is not centered will kinda fade...but I used it all day in a variety of conditions and will keep it. It's really small and light and works fine. It also is very accurate in the way it sees. I am very happy with it.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
So I will write just a few thoughts.
The camera surprised me today. I was on the cautious side thinking that it couldn't/wouldn't do what I required a camera to do. I was dead wrong.

In one image scene I was framing...waiting and then I released...as I released I saw an element that had to be out so I released almost instantly and the camera released....I'm talking less than 2 seconds between exposures....worked fine????!!!!

The quick menu is a gift....it makes changing settings a cinch. The f-stop is changes with the up/down buttons...they are like zoomie buttons.....now that is a real joy to have.
I switched stops easily all day. On AF...using the finder..if you center the focus point you want and use the AF...then lock it by holding 1/2 down on the shutter, then you re-compose...it works fine....
who needs a screen?....well, just to see settings.....

On manual focused between 7' and infinity....the camera does a great job...it is very fast to work with in this way, as is the DP1......

I love the sounds...some users question and or complain about it....it sounds like an old wind up toy that I had about 55 years ago......just a real mechanical vintage sound....

The battery life ain't great but with extras, it's not a problem. I have a charger in my car that I use to tune up the batteries while driving.

I got about 58 images on the 1st battery, with some minor screen checking because I didn't know the camera yet....the 2nd battery has 83 images on it and still reads 3/4....not bad.....

The focal length is nice and natural to the eye. It's wider than a 50 and not as wide as a 35....talking 35mm stuff here...

There were times that I felt the need to get more in the frame and that's what the DP1 would do...I didn't take it cause I gotta fall in love with it's kid sister....easy and not hard to do...

Gotta eat and process some files........be back later......

Ya know....after all these years of doing digital and not doing film...with the DP1 and the DP2...it's the first time that I haven't missed my Leica's.......
Get one of these...it's a great camera....
shooter

Last edited:

Tim

Wayne,
Funny thing....
I've spent 40+ years with an M4 and a 35mm as the eye.
The last few years of my film work I
was seeing almost 50mm.
The DP2 fits right in. Not a 35, not a 50.
It's sweet seeing like this.
Yep, I can agree this is for me too. I used a 40mm Zuiko on my OM4 for many years and it became the norm for me - I tend to "see" in 40mm also. I used a Contax T3 for quite a while and I find this just that bit too wide. I can adjust to 28mm on my GRDII but often I want for 40mm.

A DP2 is on my shopping list!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Here's a link to all the images, unedited from Day 1. All I did was batch process in SPP 3.3 with auto settings to jpegs..... The good and the bad is in there, all color as recorded by the camera....

click on any image...then underneath you will see a magnifying glass, this will bring it up to size....Most are at 800 and the noise ain't bad...

shooter

p.s. by the way, here's the link to get the Sigma raw files to show thumbnails on a Mac....
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/spotlight/x3futilities.html

Last edited:

smokysun

hi don,
very nice to see a straight up gallery. i like the ones where you close in on the subject, be it people or seagulls. this seems a camera made for the street, to record drama, but it looks like you have to be close (or crop) to make it work. glad you're having a good time. funny how the right piece of equipment can make everything a pleasure.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
hi don,
very nice to see a straight up gallery. i like the ones where you close in on the subject, be it people or seagulls. this seems a camera made for the street, to record drama, but it looks like you have to be close (or crop) to make it work. glad you're having a good time. funny how the right piece of equipment can make everything a pleasure.
best,
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
Wayne, thanks
I won't crop an image...comes from the past...just some baggage I don't mind carrying.

One thing bothers me about the DP cameras...The focusing scale is not really articulate enough to get the real hyper-focal distance....
They work but I would like to see a better, more defined scale.....

The camera is good on the street as is the DP1...I will move in closer to see what happens but the first day I wanted to see if I could use it without the screen....happy to state that it's very easy to do so....

MisiekBunnik

The DP2 is for sale at a rather big webstore in the netherlands (.konijnenberg.nl) for 509euro, which is a surprise for me. I was expecting a lot more... By the way, I am not working there, or something of that kind... And, it is on order, not in stock

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The Camera will sell out where ever it comes in stock....it's yo hot now to try and make a deal...

I did a Police event today and used the DP-1 and the DP-2...will post a link later....
very cool way to work....
shooter

cam

The DP2 is for sale at a rather big webstore in the netherlands (.konijnenberg.nl) for 509euro, which is a surprise for me. I was expecting a lot more... By the way, I am not working there, or something of that kind... And, it is on order, not in stock
i really think that price has to be without VAT included as places in France and elsewhere have it for €649-€699. it's all pie-in-the-sky, smoke and mirrors -- get people to pre-order, then tack on VAT.

eta: if anybody is lemming it now in Europe, i do know a store in Paris that just got them in. Marcel is one of the best in the business and he does speak quite good english (even though he says he doesn't). tell him i sent you.

L'INSTANTANE
40, Bd Beaumarchais
75011 PARIS
Marcel

Téléphone : +33 (0) 1.43.55.02.32

MisiekBunnik

Cam, I just checked for you and the price is incl. vat (427,73 ex btw=vat). It states 'advisory price 599, you save 90 euro. coming at 509! pretty sharp pricing. Actually quite tempting...

cam

cool -- for you!

i am officially beyond broke now. i can only enable.

and, as somebody who used to work for a manufacturer, i have to wonder about this play. they are clearly losing money on the deal and are going to piss many Sigma dealers off. will they ever get them? perhaps, but not soon, i imagine. not whilst the craze is on. do they think they can make the money back on viewfinders and accessories? again, i'm suspicious of a deal that is this good.

the DP2 looks superb and i look forward to playing with one when i get a chance. i am a huge fan of the Foveon sensor, but i'm not sure the changes are enough to tempt me. or maybe it's a case of too little, too late -- as a very early adopter who paid top money for the DP1. i would be thrilled if you got one, though, as you obviously have more patience than i.

i'm actually rooting for it to succeed as i think the images it produces are stunning. i've just stopped holding my breath that they're going to make my dream camera. i can stand to stop, think, and focus on an M8. for a compact, though, i want responsiveness.

give me an instantaneous Hexar AF with a Foveon sensor, and i will be a very happy bunny :p